Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home And Pro Conflict

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BusyB

BusyB

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

My home computer was ready-loaded with Windows XP Home but I wanted Professional on it... errmmm because I had a copy. Trouble is that there is a conflict whereby Professional will not load because Home is there. Professional is the default so I have to choose Home on startup. If I don't then Professional tries to load and crashes out with a blue screen.

I'm not overly bothered about getting Pro on but would like this conflict to stop. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

Uninstall and remove the Pro. You should never have two operating systems on the same computer at the same time - that is akin to having two people in the driver's seat in the car and both trying to drive at the same time.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 BusyB

BusyB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

Tried that. First thing I tried. It still leaves something on the system to say that it is there. A sort of ghost that gets in the way with cyber ectoplasm.

How would I upgrade to Pro if Home is already on there then?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

If your solution now is to simply make your computer boot to Home and not Pro, then we must modify your boot.ini file. This is pretty simple. Simply make a backup, copy your boot.ini file and post it here. I will then tell how to modify it so it will boot to Home automatically.

FIRST
Make a copy of your boot.ini file so we can change it back if this 'fix' does not work for you.
  • Start
  • right click on My Computer
  • Properties
  • Advanced tab
  • Startup and Recovery 'Settings'
  • hit the EDIT button
This will open your boot.ini file.

NEXT
Copy the contents.
  • cntl + A (to select all)
  • cntl + C (to copy highlighted text)
NEXT
Go to:
  • Start
  • Run
  • type notepad
  • cntl + V (to paste copied text)
  • File
  • Save as...
Save the file to a convenient place, such as your desktop, and name it something obvious, like bootinibackup

NEXT
Post a copy of the contents of the boot.ini file here.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

How would I upgrade to Pro if Home is already on there then?

By completely uninstalling Home and doing a clean install of Pro - making sure you have a legit copy so you can get your updates etc. Albert Frankentstein knows how to do this - I don't.

At this point, I'd do what Albert Frankenstein is telling you and get that mess cleaned up first. If you want to change to pro, he can guide you through the steps in doing so.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 BusyB

BusyB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Albert, I am working on my work laptop at the moment so will need to go and play with the home machine where the problem is. I will make another attempt at uninstalling the Pro first then will send you a PM with the boot.ini.

Thanks for the help it's is very much appreciated.

Edited by BusyB, 16 August 2006 - 02:39 PM.

#7 BusyB

BusyB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:20 PM

Albert has just sent me a solution for this problem and having rebooted I can say that it worked perfectly as did his advice on cutting out the viewing of options. He said that he prefers not to do things with PMs so I've said that he can post the solution. As it was a PM I will not do it unless both parties agree.

Thanks Albert - great solution.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

You are welcome. I am glad to have helped. Below is our PMs on the subject. I am posting them so that others may be helped as well.

Hello Albert

This is the boot.ini from my home comp, which as you can see has references to Home and Professional. I have tried uninstalling Pro but it's an upgrade which seems to be a bit iffy. I have no intention of getting it up to Pro now. I've had a peek at the boot.ini which mostly makes sense but I would be grateful if you took a look for me. I'd rather not hack it about. Thanks for your help - Alex

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

I don't normally help in private messages, because part of my motivation in helping people at Bleeping Computer is to help masses of people. Hundreds of people will probably see your thread and will be helped by it. That is why I asked for the boot.ini file to be posted.

But at any rate, be SURE to make a back up copy of your boot.ini file. I posted instructions on how to do it in your thread.

Then try this: Make changes to your boot.ini file so it reads like this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

I have put in bold the line to be changed.

You will still be presented a choice of which way to boot your computer, but it will default to XP Home if you make the changes as indicated.

Another thing to think about is to change the Timeout=5 line so it reads Timeout=0 then you will not see the list of choices at all, it will simply boot to XP Home. Some computers will not allow this, however, and will automatically change it to Timeout=3 meaning you will see the choices for 3 seconds and if no choice is made it will automatically boot to XP Home.

Good luck!

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help and if you would like to post this PM in the thread then I have no problems with that - I completely understand your motivation for that.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

When you installed the version of XP Pro did it install to the same drive you have XP Home on? If so then this is your problem. If you want to install other operating systems on your computer they have to be installed to another drive, whether the other drive is an actual drive or another partition.

What I would suggest to do is backup all of your Data files (Not Programs) to another media like CD-R's, Dvd, or thumb drive and when this is done Start over.

A question I have on the XP Pro. Is thsi also a legal version of the Windows Software? If not do not install it basically Microsoft will have a hissy fit and being illegal they will stop you from getting a lot of the updates and drive you nuts about it.

What you want to do to install two operating systems is Partition your Drive C:\ into two drives C:\ and D:\ and then install XP Home on drive C:| and then XP Pro on drive D:\ When you install XP Pro to drive D:\ the installation will also install a dual boot = Boot.ini file on Drive C:\ and you will get a dual boot screen on boot up.

Then just restore your backed up data after all of the programs are installed and away you go

#10 BusyB

BusyB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

Thanks Thor. My hard drive is already partitioned but as there have been updates to Home, Pro is refusing to be loaded anyway, as it is an earlier version.

Thanks for all the help - it really is appreciated and my machine now boots up great with Home. I'll leave it as is.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

You don't install it in the same partition so there should be no conflicts.

Multibooting with Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../multiboot.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users