Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Can't Check For Updates 2016

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Marty87

Marty87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on SP2 on an old desk top which hadn't been updated since 2012. 

I connected to the internet and Windows Update has crashed, however the update history suggests an install Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256

When manually checking for updates the icon appears to be searching however the icon in the icon tray states 'Windows can't check for updates'. There are no other error codes or diagnostic indicators.

I've scoured the internet trying to find a solution and have tried a number of suggested solutions none of which have had any impact.

If anyone can offer any help to get the update working again I'd really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on SP2 on an old desk top which hadn't been updated since 2012.

I connected to the internet and Windows Update has crashed, however the update history suggests an install Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256

When manually checking for updates the icon appears to be searching however the icon in the icon tray states 'Windows can't check for updates'. There are no other error codes or diagnostic indicators.

Hi Marty87:

Many Vista users are having problems running Windows Updates these days.  The most common symptom is that the initial "Checking for updates..." phase will run continuously for several hours and consume high amounts of CPU without throwing an error message.

The Windows Update Agent (WUA) for Vista is currently v7.6.7600.256 and hasn't been updated since June 2012.  Check the version number of your WUA at C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll (just hover your mouse over the filename or right-click and select Properties) and ensure that you have the latest v7.6.7600.256If you have an older version post back and I'll provide instructions on how to update.

Once you've confirmed you have WUA (wuaueng.dll) v7.6.7600.256, follow the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  These instructions are based on Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ but include some helpful hints on how to install any Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates missing from your system to speed up Windows Update. You will likely be missing all five Win32K.sys updates currently listed on Dalai's webpage as of July 2016 [KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (rel. 12-Apr-2016); KB3164033 (rel. 14-Jun-2016); KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016)] since your system is missing several years of updates.

See copiman's thread Current tips on updates in the VistaForums for one example of a user with a fresh re-install of Vista SP2 that tried this workaround.  Once the missing Win32K.sys updates were installed, his "Checking for updates..." phase completed in under 30 min and detected ~ 230 missing updates which installed in a few hours.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0.1 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 21 July 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#3 Marty87

Marty87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

Hi Imacri,

Thanks for your suggestion, sadly I tried the above, downloading the updates via the standalone installer and saving them to my desktop. When I try to install them I receive the notification 'The update does not apply to your system'

I also tried installing via the command prompt, no warning, however nothing happened. 

The last update i managed was KB2718704 in June 2012, which leads me to think there must be a lot missing on my machine. Quite why it won't even check however is a frustrating mystery.

Any further thoughts?

Edited by Marty87, 22 July 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

The last update i managed was KB2718704 in June 2012, which leads me to think there must be a lot missing on my machine. Quite why it won't even check however is a frustrating mystery.

Any further thoughts?

Hi Marty87:

You haven't answered my first question in post # 2 about whether you have the latest v7.6.7600.256 of the Windows Update Agent (WUA) for Vista at C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll. This latest available version of the WUA for Vista was released in June 2012.  My KB2718704 (Unauthorized digital certificates could allow spoofing) was installed 04-Jun-2012, four days before my WUA v7.6.7600.256 was installed on 08-Jun-2016, so it's always possible one of your June 2012 updates is causing problems on your computer.

Could you also let me know why your Vista desktop hasn't been updated since June 2012. Specifically, have you been using this desktop on a regular basis since 2012?  And what did you mean in your original post when you said "Windows Updates crashed"?  Do you see a specific error message when you run Windows Update?

Have you run any diagnostics like Microsoft's System File Checker (SFC) or the System Update Readiness Tool (MS CheckSUR) to check for problems with your Vista OS and/or Windows Update components? Do you have any antivirus program on your computer other than the built-in Windows Defender, and when was the last time you ran a full scan of your computer for malware?

To the best of my knowledge the "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates discussed in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours first appeared on Vista SP2 in August 2015 (i.e., immediately following the official release of Win 10 on 29-Jul-2015).  If your computer has been in use since 2012 and Windows Updates haven't been working that entire time then your problem is likely related to a corrupted Windows OS or Windows Update component and not the current "Checking for updates..." hang most other Vista users are currently experiencing.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0.1 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 23 July 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#5 One1won

One1won

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

Have 2 Vistas , it becomes a overnight update to finish even though seems like nothing is happening until asked to restart computer with or without

updates

Edited by One1won, 23 July 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

Hi Marty87:

Have you had any success determining if you have the latest v7.6.7600.256 of the Windows Update Agent (WUA) for Vista at C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll or running Windows Update to patch your system?

------------

#7 Mordovian

Mordovian

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

I had to install KB3177725, KB3168965, KB3164033, KB3145739, KB3109094 and KB3078601 to make Windows Update working. Vista x64 Ent, freshly installed.

#8 Oneman1

Oneman1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

I have a similar problem with my Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. 

The updates from July have been found but will not let me install them. They just take forever to download and never finish. There has been no new updates since.

Any help please.

How do you insert a JPEG image The green tree option is asking for URL and I can only copy from my file, it will not allow me to paste.  :angry:

Here is the list that will not download. It would be much easier if I could just show the snipped image of the below. (sorry)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista (KB3170106)

Download size: 14.4 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB3163244)

Download size: 2.0 MB

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Server 2008 (KB3135996)

Download size: 9.9 MB

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 (KB3163251)

Download size: 3.8 MB

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3168965)

Download size: 1.0 MB

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3170455)

Download size: 1.7 MB

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2016 (KB890830)

Download size: 6.8 MB

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

More information: 

Help and Support: 

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:14 PM

Hi Oneman1:

I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to do.  Did you follow the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum as I suggested in post # 2 to see if that would get Windows Update working again?

You are probably having problems installing many of the KB updates listed in your post because they have been superseded (replaced) by a newer update.  If you try to install an out-of-date standalone update package (.msu file) or use an installer that is the wrong bitness for your Vista OS (i.e., you download the x64 version for a 32-bit OS) you will see a "not applicable to your computer" error   - see the MS support article "The update is not applicable to your computer" error when you install Windows updates.  For example, the KB3170106 (MS16-084: Security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016) you are trying to install is likely failing because it has been superseded by the newer KB3175443 (MS16-095: Security update for Internet Explorer: August 9, 2016) .

If the instructions in m#l's thread for Dalai's workaround were successful and you were able to install the August 2016 Patch Tuesday updates you should have the latest KB3175443 cumulative update for IE9 on your computer.  Open IE9 and go to Help | About Internet Explorer - if IE9 is fully patched the Update Version should say 9.0.53 (KB3175443).

Attached File  IE9 Version KB3175443 August 2016.png   24.46KB   0 downloads

To insert an image (e.g., .jpg, .png, etc) in your post, you need to use the advanced editor to upload and attach the image. Click the More Reply Options (or Use Full Editor if you are editing a post) button at the bottom of the editor, and then attach the image by browsing to the location of the file on your hard drive and clicking the Attach This File button.  Once you have attached your image you should see an Add to Post link you can click to insert the image inside the body of your message next to your mouse cursor.

Attached File  bleepingcomputer Add Image to Post.png   12.87KB   0 downloads
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 08 September 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#10 Oneman1

Oneman1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hi Imacri.

Thanks for reply that insert looks to work ok. 

Attached File  updates.JPG   50.85KB   0 downloads

I presume I will need the latest patch update then. I will give that a go and let you know what happens.

I do not use IE, it has never worked on my system no matter how many different times and options I have tried to fix it. 

EDIT: Do you think it is worth waiting until the September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates are released on 13-Sep-2016? 

Edited by Oneman1, 09 September 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#11 Oneman1

Oneman1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

Tried the KB3177725 download but get the not applicable  error. :smash:

download KB3163244 is missing ( failed to install )

Attached File  updates2.JPG   95.75KB   0 downloads

but after manually  trying to download from Microsoft it gets stuck at searching for updates.

Edited by Oneman1, 09 September 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#12 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

Tried the KB3177725 download but get the not applicable  error. :smash:

download KB3163244 is missing ( failed to install )

Hi Oneman1:

Did you following the the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum?

STEP # 2 instructs users to check the current list of of Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates on Dalai's webpage.  As of today (09-Sep-2016) that current list is: KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (rel. 12-Apr-2016); KB3164033 (rel. 14-Jun-2016); KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016). I don't see a KB3163244 on that list (see the note below).

If you followed those instructions and a search of your installed updates (Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates) showed that the latest KB3177725 (MS16-098: Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers: August 9, 2016) is the only Win32K.sys update currently missing from your computer, note that this is an important update that patches four critical Win32k Elevation of Privilege vulnerabilities.  Assuming you have 32-bit Vista OS, are you certain you downloaded the correct 32-bit installer (Windows6.0-KB3177725-x86.msu) from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53445?  I know there is a printing bug in KB3177725 that affects a small number of users (a temporary hotfix was posted in the Microsoft Update Catalog for Vista users having printer problems) that will be fixed in the coming Win32K.sys update released 13-Sep-2016, but as far as I know KB3177725 is still a required update and should install on your Vista machine unless it's already listed in your installed updates or you have other Win32K.sys updates on Dalai's list that need to be installed first.

If the .msu installer for KB3177725 is getting stuck at "Checking for updates..." it's likely because you have an unfinished Windows Update session running in the background,  STEP # 1 of the instructions in m#l's thread are usually enough to stop your background Windows Update sessions, but additional hints are posted in E-Chen's thread Vista Updates just keeps "Checking" if you're getting hangs when you run these installers.

If you'd like to wait until the 2016 September Patch Tuesday updates scheduled for release on 13-Sep-2016, just note that Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ will be revised (likely that evening) to add any new Win32K.sys update(s) released by Microsoft.  He will also check the supersedence chain and remove any older Win32K.sys updates on his list that have been superseded (replaced) by the new update(s).

...I would have to do more research regarding KB3163244 (MS16-091: Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 in Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2: July 12, 2016) but I can confirm that this update was not installed by Windows Update on my 32-bit Vista machine during my July 2016 Patch Tuesday update.  That might be because the .NET Information Disclosure vulnerability (CVE-2016-3255) was already already patched by another security update installed for my .NET Framework v4.5.2.  Your image in post # 10 suggests that you manually installed the July 2016 updates for .NET Framework .4.5.2, and this might have already patched the vulnerable file(s).

My suggestion would be that you get Windows Update running by installing your missing Win32K.sys updates and then let Windows Update decide if this KB3163244 updated for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is still needed on your system

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 09 September 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#13 Oneman1

Oneman1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Imacri.

After another further check KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016) and the one you mentioned KB3163244 are missing.

Where do I start and what should I attempt first?

My updates are turned to off and download speed at this moment in time is 75.67 Mb/s (if that helps).

Kind regards.

Oneman1.

Ps. the KB3168965 download from http://wu.krelay.de/en/  shows up as "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."

The KB3177725 FILE JUST RETURNS "DOES NOT APPLY TO YOUR SYSTEM"

.Sorry not shouting, yet  :devil:

Edited by Oneman1, 10 September 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#14 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

After another further check KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016) and the one you mentioned KB3163244 are missing.

Where do I start and what should I attempt first?

Ps. the KB3168965 download from http://wu.krelay.de/en/  shows up as "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."

Hi Oneman1:

From my post # 12:

"Did you following the the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum?"

Follow those instructions and it will guide you through installation of any Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates (including KB3168965 and KB3177725) missing from your system.  Be certain you follow every step in the instructions just as they are written and search your installed updates at Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates (not Windows Update | View Update History) in STEP # 3 to determine which Win32K.sys updates are already installed on your system.

I just tested the link for KB3168965 on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ and it works correctly from my Firefox browser, but Microsoft is doing scheduled maintenance on their servers today and users have been warned that they will be unable to log in and post new content on the MS Answer forum.  Most users find that the "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found" is just an intermittent problem and the links on Dalai's webpage will usually work if you try again in a few minutes, but if the problem persists try the suggestion I posted in uberbleeper's thread What actually causes wuauserv high CPU use updating Windows to clear your browser history.  If that still doesn't work here are the direct download links for the 32-bit (x86) installers for Vista SP2:

KB3168965 (32-bit Vista SP2):  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53206

KB3177725 (32-bit Vista SP2):  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53445

Again, from my post # 12:

"My suggestion would be that you get Windows Update running by installing your missing Win32K.sys updates and then let Windows Update decide if this KB3163244 update for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is still needed on your system."

------------

Edited by lmacri, 10 September 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#15 Oneman1

Oneman1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

Thanks again Imacri.

I followed the step-by-step instructions. 

Will try again thanks. 

I use chrome as IE has never worked on this system but even Chrome is unsupported now.

I often use.

Attached File  cookies.JPG   26.08KB   0 downloads

to clear things and I do, this often.

:guitar:

When I press that bottom right button (from above) I have to sign in again! 

Why is that??? LOL (YOU GET IT :bananas: )  

Attached File  bleep1.JPG   42.12KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Oneman1, 10 September 2016 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users