Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan constantly runs to cool computer

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bestfree

Bestfree

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Hi

My computer is burring up. Ever since I installed Farbar Recovery Tool~FRST, my Fan constantly runs in a attempt to cool the unit down--no success. I cleaned the vents with cleaner, still the same. My Virus and Spyware definitions:up to date, Malwarebytes anti-Malware

scan completed. How do I find out what program is using all my CPU units? (In an attempt to see if this is causing all my problems.)

Any direction or help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Best,

Ron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:05 AM

Is this a laptop or desktop? Have you taken it apart to deep-clean any dust out?

The easiest way to find out what process is hogging CPU cycles is to open task manager by pressing [ctrl]+[alt]+[del]. On the "Processes" tab, there will be a list of processes that you can sort by name, memory usage, or CPU usage. Sort by CPU usage and take a screenshot of that tab for me please?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

- Open Task Manager ( TM ) (Process tab) and let it show all processes. Is there a process that uses lots of CPU ?

- Perhaps it's a Windows Update problem. Open the "Service" tab in TM. Highlight "Wuauserv", right click, select "Go to process". TM opens the "Process" tab (again) and highlights one of the processes. Is that highlighted process called "Svchost.exe" using A LOT OF CPU ?

Edited by Willy22, 20 July 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#4 Bestfree

Bestfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

I was able to find the "Task Manager, Processes" tab and hit the CPU usage. I pressed the windows key and PrtScn(Print Screen).

I was unable to get anything to save or forward. So I am stuck at this point. I don't know how to provide you with this information.

Best,

Ron

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

- Vista has a socalled "Snipping tool". It allows you to make a screenshot much more easily. If you find it very useful then make a shortcut to it or stick it to the taskbar.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/screencaptures/ig/Snipping-Tool/

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Another thing worth noting is that [prtscn] saves the image to the clipboard - you can then paste it into paint or your favorite image editing program to edit as you desire.

#7 Bestfree

Bestfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:15 AM

Hi,

Overheating is better. I thought I would still post to see if any process is hogging my CPU, since I solved the snipping problem.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   153.6KB   0 downloads

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

- The picture doesn't show the processes that use the most CPU.

#9 Bestfree

Bestfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

I don't believe I was given info on how to save.

"Do you want to save changes to snip?  You can save the snip as an

HTML, PNG, GIF,  or JPEG"

or I can save it in the file. But How?

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

Indeed. Please click the "CPU" column one more time to sort in descending order.

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

@Bestfree

[Ctrl]+S should bring up a "save file" dialogue.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

@ Bestfree

The reason this topic has stalled is that you have been asked for information which you have not yet supplied. I appreciate that there have been reasons why you were unable to supply this information, but it is still wanted.

Personally I find the snipping tool a little cranky to use, I prefer to use PrtScrn to take a complete screenshot then paste it into any graphics package - you always have the basic MS Paint in Vista.

Open Task manager as outlined above then press the PrtScrn key once. Then open Paint (Start - All programs - Accessories - Paint) and paste the screenshot into it (Ctrl+V). Then use the crop tool to reduce the complete screenshot just to the Task Manager, then 'save as' an image somewhere you can find it easily. The default image is PNG but you can use JPG if you prefer. After that, post the image here and somebody will get back to you

Chris Cosgrove

#13 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:08 AM

- This could also be a "Windows Update" problem. Do the following and report back

- Open in Task Manager the "Process" tab and make sure it displays all running processes, even those who run under the System Account.
- Open in Task Manager the "Service" tab and highlight the Service called "Wuauserv". Then right click and select "Go to Process". Task Manager will re-open the "Process" tab and highlight one "Svchost.exe" process. If the highlighted "Svchost.exe" process has high CPU usage in combination with high memory usage (say >100 MB) then it's indeed one particular Windows Update problem that can be solved.

#14 Bestfree

Bestfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

Chris & Willy22,

Chris, everything was fine until I did paste the screenshot into it((Ctrl+V) Not a thing happened. I can save it fine.

But it's just a blank sheet. Also, I don't get a reaction when I press the PrtSern Key once.

Willy22, I opened the inquired settings, and here are some of the readings: 3, 064k, 108k, 1,136k, 124k, 544k.

I did clean the computer. Maybe I should do it again? I ran scans. Junk Mail Scan, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.

Ron

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

I really don't want to get involved in this topic, there are already enough people involved whom I believe have the knowledge and expertise to solve this problem. However, way back at #2 ScathEnfys said -

Is this a laptop or desktop? Have you taken it apart to deep-clean any dust out?

Make and model is fairly basic information which should be included in every topic !  Is it a desktop or a laptop ?  And, from #14

I did clean the computer.

What did this involve ?  Merely blowing / brushing out dust or did you remove the heatsink assembly from the CPU or disturb the heat pipe if a laptop ?

If you did either of these latter actions it is not sufficent to just screw or clip these assemblies back together. The mating surfaces need to be thoroughly cleaned with something like methyl or iso-propyl alchohol and finished with absorbent paper, and then you need to apply a thin layer of heat sink compound or paste (same stuff, different names) to one of the mating faces before reassembly.

If you split the heat sinking surfaces then new heatsink paste is essential. It's widely available and reasonably cheap.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users