Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Update Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Canuck1946

Canuck1946

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

I have had Win 7 for 6 years and performed updates without issue.  I like to check and decide what I want instead of having windows install automatically or download and let me choose when to install.

Starting in June 26 I had problems.  I would select updates for download and the screen would sit forever telling me it was downloading with 0% complete.

I checked around and found advice recommending I delete all folders under c:/windows/softwaredistribution.  Problem was that windows would no longer have a record of the updates I have received and installed.  This meant my computer would chug away for 2-3-4 hours while update confirmed the updates I was missing and re-building the data file.

I decided to do it and went ahead.  You have to disable and then after deleting, re-enable the BIT service.  Once complete my updates downloaded showing % complete and they installed - everything ok..

This week I tried to install 11 updates.  Same problem - downloading 0% complete.  I checked around again and found a Microsoft fixit tool that I could run and fix problems with update.  I went ahead and did that but had to run it twice because in results the first time it said my service registration was missing or corrupt.  This means your windows installation is not valid.  The second time it was ok - ???

My software distribution data update file was wiped out so when I went back in to windows update it had to search and re-build the file.  Another 4 hours.

While it was rebuilding I thought I would change my update setting to download but let me install them.  I left my machine after it re-built the data catalogue of updates and did other things.  Later I checked the Start button/Shut Down tab and guess what?  There was the windows update icon.  I went back into update to make sure what I had selected was what was going to be downloaded and then shut down the machine.  All 11 updates were installed!!!!

What this tells now is that windows has recently disabled the ability to manually download selected updates.  They want you to install them automatically or download automatically for later installation.  BTW I always hide updates I don't want, especially some of the Optional.  Also, I had previously rescinded my windows 10 invitation because I/we didn't like it after trying on my wife's computer and then restoring windows 7 which is not as easy to do as they say.  Since then some of the updates were offers (you have to get more information to find that) for win 10 and on 2 occasions were re-install of GWX which had taken a lot of work to remove from dozens of places in my system.  I even had to take ownership of registry files and change them.  In restoring Task Manager it  totally corrupted the schedules which took me another 2 hours to fix.  MS has known about this issue since Aug 2015.

Anyhow, after July 29 I will take all the important updates without checking through them because the free win 10 offer will be gone.

What disturbs me is that Microsoft has obviously disabled the ability to manually download updates and I could find nothing from MS advising that .  You have to let them do it.  BTW I did all of the above on my wife's computer and the results were exactly the same.  Start/Shut Down and the update icon was there.

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 10:11 AM.
Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601943/windows-update-loop/ - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BmthSlim

BmthSlim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:51 AM

Hiya Canuck 1946,

I've was experiencing the exact same issues as yourself.. (and no doubt, a huge percentage of Win.7 users around the globe) ??!!??

Right.... The two problomatic issues to rectify are:

1) Repairing 'Windows Update'  &  2) Removing the 'GWX' icon & notifications from your PC.

Repairing 'Windows Update'

Click on the link below, and you will have a step by step guide, with (genuine M/Sft) downloads on how to repair Win.Update with easy to follow instructions, The whole process took only 5-10 mins to complete, and 'Update' was repaired.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_7-update/fix-windows-update-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/ad6cfeef-232a-49b4-a57b-39978eea6630

Removing the 'GWX' icon & notifications from your PC

After repairing 'Windows Update' .... Open Win,Upd. & Click on 'View Update History. Then Click on 'Installed Updates'(near the top of window).  Once opened, Type; KB3035583  in the search bar (top right corner of window).

When found, Highlight it with your mouse, Then click on 'Uninstall'.

After the uninstall has completed, Restart your PC. Once restarted, go straight to  'Win.Upd.' & Go to  'Change Settings'.

Make sure you select the; "Download Updates, But let me choose whether to install them" Option Then click on;  'Check for updates'. When the check has completed, review the downloaded updates, and you should find that the update; KB3035583 has been downloaded again.

This time, Highlight the update, Right click your mouse over it, and select 'Hide Update'......

:bananas:  :clapping:  :bananas:     JOB  JOBBED     :bananas:  :clapping:  :bananas:

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2017 - 11:23 AM.
Edited for readability - Hamluis.

#3 jmc44

jmc44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

Did all of the above and still couldn't uninstall KBs 2670838, 2952664, 2990214, 3021917, 3035583, 3068708, 3075249, and 3080149.  Tried uninstalling them with the command line and DISM with no luck.  Also, when I go to Windows Update the first window I see says "Windows 10 couldn't be installed" with Error 800ffff or 80070bc9, so apparently I have remnants of W10 updates in my computer.  Then when I click on "Search for Updates I get a yellow window within a few seconds that says "Restart your computer to install important updates" even after I've restarted my computer a number of times.  Can you give me any more suggestions about how to remove the W10 nagware?

Thanks,

jmc44

#4 jmc44

jmc44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

Never mind my RAM board self destructed, so the computer is toast!

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

It seems that ever since the Windows 10 free upgrade the Windows 7 update center has just all gone to hell and hasn't worked.

The Windows 7 update roll-up is sometimes reliable but still full of problems.

Seems Microsoft just wants to make it difficult for anyone not using Windows 10.

One of the reasons I moved over to Linux camp as Linux works without problems. :thumbup2:

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users