Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft updates Get Windows 10 nagster, KB 3035583, yet again

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

With nine days to go, Microsoft really, really wants you to claim your free upgrade to Windows 10. Come to think of it, Microsoft has really, really wanted you to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8.1 PC to Windows 10 for more than a year, and backed it with the GWX subsystem -- first installed by KB 3035583 in March 2015, 15 months ago.

Poster Chris on AskWoody put it quite accurately:

Because, y'know -- the dozens and dozens of times I have vehemently and viciously said "No Bloody Way!" to any and all of Microsoft's Windows 10 nonsense over the past year may have just been playful flirtation on my part … all to get them to try harder.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

LOL, they'll never stop trying! :)

And after July 29, I suppose, they will be advertising discounts for Windows 10 via "Security Updates"...

Greets!

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Well, I guess after July 29th we'll see if MS holds true to their word and finally ceases with the "update annoyances". However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them extend the upgrade since Win X has not achieved the proposed goal of a billion users. They may also allow downloading of an ISO for later installation beyond that as well.

I could be way off base but just a thought.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Well, I guess after July 29th we'll see if MS holds true to their word and finally ceases with the "update annoyances". However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them extend the upgrade since Win X has not achieved the proposed goal of a billion users. They may also allow downloading of an ISO for later installation beyond that as well.

One billion devices? Never going to happen with Windows phone sales tanking.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

From what I've seen in the news ms say they are accepting the fact that they won't get 1 billion installs, but whether this is what's really going on I don't know. What they might do after July 29th I can't foresee.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

One billion devices? Never going to happen with Windows phone sales tanking.

Yeah, here's the latest from MS.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/satya-nadella-says-microsoft-changing-223139393.html

#7 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:56 AM

“Windows 10 Is A Failure” — According To Microsoft’s Own Metric

Spoiler

So let's change the metrics...  :whistle:

Greets!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

I doubt 10 is even on 350 million devices if Microsoft counts a device as having Windows 10 even if it reverted back to 7 or 8. How does Microsoft count the devices, by activations?

#9 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

I just hope I can still buy machines via CyberpowerPC or Sager with Seven orjust formatted drives so I can install Seven on them. I mean, honestly, I dont mind buying a new computer with ten Pro; if only to turn off the stupid ads and whatnot, {its my machine,why the hell would I want ads on it ? there's a reason I Use adblock+ on my browsers to begin with!}

Anyhow, with recent updates being nothing but this unwanted nagger for me I simply turned updates off completely, because somehow it is set to notifiy andlet me choose, so thankfully enough I dont have the nagger anymore, but why its constantly popping up, I just up and turned off updates completely until 31 July;when I will turn it back on

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

I installed GWX Control Panel months ago and have lived happily ever after.  Why worry about the nags when you have this and I'm told Never10 is another good nag stopper.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

Post #7

Has that image in the spoiler been removed from it's original source or something, it isn't loading.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

^ Checked the code and link, it's showing in the preview but not in the post! Not sure what's wrong with it...

It's the first picture on the page I mentioned above it, nothing special!

Greets!  :wink:

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

So, is it over?

Let's hope so.

The free upgrade period has finished, though I had imagined they would have tried extending it at the last minute.

Let's see if any updates come out soon that promise to clean up what GWX has done.

But I think that even if updates to get released that undo all GWX's nasty work at a single click we'll still have learned that automatic updates can no longer be trusted, after showing they would do it once there may come a day some time when ms decide to unleash upon the world a GWE (get windows eleven) or GWOHBIWSNWNSETNNT (get windows one hundred,because if we skipped nine why not skip eleven to ninety nine too) or some sort of GOGWXTTWKA (Go on get windows X this time, we'll keep asking). GWX has taught us an important lesson, be bleeping careful what you let be installed on your computer, even if it's from the company that makes your OS.

Edited by rp88, 03 August 2016 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users