Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

networking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ustazhussein

ustazhussein

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

hello i just wanted to know if you have one dns server, can you have another dns server so , that if one goes down the other pickup automatically.

if YES how do you do...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

Are you using DHCP? If so, you already have two DNS, and the second one already works as a backup. Do you mean two static DNS? If so, the two DNS are what ever you set them to under Windows + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click network adapter in use and left click properties > Double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4"

#3 ustazhussein

ustazhussein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

ok.thanks

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

"Are you using DHCP? If so, you already have two DNS"

Why do you think that?  DHCP has nothing to do with DNS.  You never clarified what the poster was asking for, like are they running AD or is this just workstation related?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 21 July 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

How do you figure DNS has nothing to do with DHCP? Automatic DNS is standard in the Microsoft IPv4 protocol. You are questioning me, so the burden of proof is on you.  :devil:

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

Maybe we are reading the question differently.

" if you have one dns server, can you have another dns server so , that if one goes down the other pickup automatically"

The question I see is one of dns server redundancy /replication which has nothing to do with dhcp.

"Are you using DHCP? If so, you already have two DNS"

I take this to say if you are on a workstation and need redundant dns's and you are using dhcp then the two ip dns entries on the workstation would be filled.

This assumes the dhcp server was configured with two dns servers or was configured for a private and then a public dns server.

We don't know if automatic dns is in the mix.  We don't know if this is a AD environment and the system is configured for dhcp to update the dns record.

#7 Agadajerry

Agadajerry

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:31 AM

Hello gurus, please I want to How to implement local area network LAN, configuration of Router DHCP, as well as connecting two routers together. I need your help please
Hello gurus, please I want to know How to implement local area network LAN, configuration of Router DHCP, as well as connecting two routers together. I need your help please

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Agadajerry you should stick to your post on the topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users