Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the best free antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yologirlll

yologirlll

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:09 AM

Does it basically come down to AVG or Avast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another.

Here are links to some BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), is was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.

There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions. There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates itself even though users intentionally choose to remove them. And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 masteringvmware

masteringvmware

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

For Free i would like to go with Avast.
But i am using paid version of Kaspersky which provides great security for overall system.

#4 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

I'm glad someone started this topic now as it is only recently that Avast has really started to anger me.

Last year, I went ahead and purchased Avast Pro or what ever it was called. I had been happy with the program for years and decided to give it a full go. Part way into my year Avast suddenly started giving me popups for other Avast products. I was annoyed but found out how to disable them and all was good again. Then with about a month left in my contract Avast started bombarding me with offers to renew and there was no way to stop them. I PAID for this program to stop crap like that and then here they were doing it to me themselves. Needless to say I did not renew but still kept the free version. Now, the popups for Avast products have started up again. When I went to disable it like I used to in the past with the free version I found that I could not and was greeted with the message "you may disable this option only in premium products. Upgrade now."

So I would love a good recommendation for a free antivirus. I don't mind the banner that most of these products scroll across the bottom while they're running. I actually read them. It's how I decided to buy Avast in the first place. But to actively create popups while I'm working or playing on my PC is Adware pure and simple and has no place in an antivirus.

I will at least take a look at the options posted above. I can't have my antivirus interrupting me unless it's serious business.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

As I noted above, for those who want a free solution I now recommend Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

#6 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

As I noted above, for those who want a free solution I now recommend Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

BitDefender already abandoned BitDefender Free Antivirus support, so that basically means if there any bugs or vulnerability Bitdefender won't patch them, and their full system scan is slower than the paid version. However, Bitdefender did replied to this guy asked Bitdefender on Twitter what happened to the Free Antivirus edition and why it doesn't support Windows 10, and Bitdefender replied that they are in progress of working a new Free Antivirus, so they wouldn't bother to go back to the Free Antivirus 2014 to fix all the bugs, but rather just working on the new Free Antivirus instead. I do agree with you that Sophos and BitDefender does provide a good antivirus, but unfortunately Bitdefender is unknown to their new Free Antivirus, but let's hope that will be here soon. 

As for Sophos Home, I did installed on both my Windows 10 everyday laptop and high end gaming desktop, and I find it uses lot of RAM. You're looking at 300MB - 350MB of RAM usage which is high for a security software to use that much! It make me feels like I'm using Kaspersky product in the past. Both of the machine have 32GB DDR3 RAM, but I still find it uses lot of RAM which is ridiculously, however, I like the Sophos interface and you can control your antivirus anywhere through your smartphone, and another great advantages of Sophos is you can use 1 Sophos Home account up to 10 computers, and there's no ads or pop ups asking you to buy their premium products.    

Edited by ATY, 21 July 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

I had Avast. I did not like it, too many checkboxes and stuff to uncheck. I got BitDefender, much better! No BS like checkboxes and it did a much better job at protection than Avast, as far as I could tell.

I got rid of BD for now due to a bug involving multiple monitors. I have Panda AV and I like it too, not much BS to uncheck. I need to reinstall Windows soon, so when I do I will probably go back to BitDefender Free.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

That is why I noted a particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Sometimes you may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

That is why I noted a particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Sometimes you may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

This is so true.

At my previous and current jobs I installed BitDefender Free wherever possible. It was the right choice for a relatively low risk environment. If I bought my mom a PC, I would load it with something a little more proactive than BD Free. Probably a paid for AV solution like Kapersky or Emsisoft. Of course, my mom is a total Mac user so it all depends on how she would use a Windows PC.

"Different strokes for different folks"

#10 Vijaye

Vijaye

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

Avira Free Antivirus, which is fast, friendly and effective.

#11 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

I would advise you not to use sophos home , the free antivirus . I had used it and uninstalled it soon.

The reason behind that is that I cannot access any setting unless I log onto my dashboard online to edit the antivirus settings.

The second reason is that sophos deleted some false positive .dll files from my computer without warning and removed them completely. i haven't been able to recover them at all and had to uninstall sophos home and reinstall those applications.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

Did you report the issue to Sophos?

Sophos Home Free Antivirus BC Discussion Topic
Sophos Home Support Forum

#13 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

Did you report the issue to Sophos?

I didn't because there is a post of this issue already on the sophos community forum.

Link :

https://community.sophos.com/products/sophos-home/f/144/t/75228

A staff member replied that they shall look into the issue, and this was on 7 march 2016.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

Then you may want to report it again....sometimes following up on questions can be overlooked, then forgotten.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

... i had installed Bitdefender and Avast but they slow down the system very much.

Using two anti-virus solutions at the same time (except for Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 Anniversary Update) will cause system slow down as well as other issues. Read the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users