Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot up + others

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tempsc

tempsc

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hi.

Some oddities with Windows 7 desktop PC at the moment. (sending this from my alternative laptop).

Things started with problems getting online. Still an issue but that can wait at the moment as now the PC won't boot up at all. It's currently at the 'Welcome' stage but will not go further.

Have tried restoring to a previously known good session and that worked fine, but, on attempting to sort getting online sorted out, I restarted the PC and now can't get past the 'Welcome' page, even after attempting to restore to a 'good session'. 

Would be very grateful and would value some assistance with this please.

Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

did you try booting into Safe Mode? If so, what happened?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:40 AM

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Yes. I did start in safe mode and seemed to start OK. Wasn't sure what to do next and so after a while, shut down and tried to start normally. Stuck on welcome screen once again now.

Thanks for any further advice.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

What that tells us is that something is attempting to load on normal boot and is preventing Windows from booting. Safe Mode loads only the basic system drivers that are required to boot Windows.

Try to remember back when this first started; did you install a new program, update drivers for some component or download anything just before this started? System crash or BSOD maybe?

Try another system restore to an even earlier date than the one you used, if there is one.

Finally, do you have a Windows 7 system disk, or only an OEM restore partition?

Go into Safe Mode again, and open an elevated command prompt;

> type cd C:\\  [press Enter] - do not forget space after cd

> type sfc /scannow [press Enter] - do not forget space after sfc

allow it to run without interference.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:35 AM

Hi Ranchland.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Local ISP problems resulted in no internet for a few days. Just back online now.

Just running the below...

Go into Safe Mode again, and open an elevated command prompt;

> type cd C:\\  [press Enter] - do not forget space after cd

> type sfc /scannow [press Enter] - do not forget space after sfc

allow it to run without interferenc

#6 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:27 AM

Hi Ranchland.

100% complete.

'Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations'

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

Ok, we pretty much have eliminated the basic system drivers as culprits.

Next, try hard to remember when this first happened; did you install any new programs? Did your system crash or BSOD? Did you download anything

Have tried restoring to a previously known good session and that worked fine, but, on attempting to sort getting online sorted out, I restarted the PC and now can't get past the 'Welcome' page,

Do you remember what you did in attempting to fix your internet connection?

#8 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:35 AM

Hi. Thanks for coming back to me.

I hadn't installed any new programms at all. On finding I had an internet access problem, I contacted my ISP and they had me look at some of my networking setup and weren't able to solve the issue at all. Perhaps they just compounded the problem unbeknown to me? 

Most of the time I don't switch off my PC ever. Its been on for years and with no trouble at all. On restarting recently a pop up did come up that asked if I wished to make any changes to the computer and referenced BitDefender. I have absolutely no idea where Bitdefender came from and so I just clicked no and the PC operated as normal. Could this have affected things at all? Sorry in advance if I'm causing untold confusion bjut do appreciate yr kind assistance.

Yrs.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

There are several things we can try, but a this point I suggest re-entering safe mode, go to Control Panel/Remove Programs. Look for Bit Defender in there and if you find it, remove it. Since you are not using it as your antivirus program there is no point keeping it. In addition to that, you really don't want two antivirus programs running at the same time, it can cause conflict issues in your operating system. If you cannot find it listed in Remove Programs, then enter Explore \ Program Files (x86) and look for any entry called Bit Defender and delete it manually. In fact, peruse the list there and delete any programs that you don't recognize and know for sure you did not install. Sometimes, in the course of normal installing of programs, something is installed without your knowledge. Those are called, collectively, as foistware and can be anything from PUPs to trial ware.

Try to reboot into normal mode and post back with what happens.

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 July 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#10 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

Hi.

In safe mode, I looked for Bitdefender and no sign of it. Went on to look for it in Program Files and no sign of it there either. As mentioned, I pressed cancel when it asked if I would like to make changes to the computer, so I'm guessing that as I didn't allow changes, it hasn't installed. Is that your interpretation?

Whilst in safe mode, I took a look at system restore and found that another, earlier restore point had come up, this time all the way back to the 1st June. (There aren't any others) I tried restore from this point too but with no luck. After quite a while, screen has just gone to 'Welcome screen' again.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

Ok.

Now we start the search procedure. This will take patience on your part, but I know of no other way to find the culprit that is preventing boot.

> Enter Safe mode

> Note the programs that you have installed; the shortcuts should be on the desktop, even in safe mode. Try to boot-up each program that you have, and if one will not boot or crashes the computer, chances are that is your bad boy.

If all the programs you have boot and run properly, then we try another tact:

> Left click on the START button, lower left on the desktop;

> In the search box at the bottom, type:  misconfig and then click on the msconfig.exe that appears above.

> Click the Startup tab

> One-by-one enable (put a check in) the boxes in front of each line-item, with a boot in-between into normal mode (not safe mode).

> On boot, if suddenly the computer will not boot, the box (program) that you last clicked before your reboot is the one that is causing the problem.

Let me know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users