Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Bad Sectors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 koolwill

koolwill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hello,

A friend gave me a Western Digital Elements 2tb hard drive that has bad sectors to try and recover data off of.  The hard drive is about 1.6 tb filled with mostly videos.

A few months ago I tried to repair the drive using chkdsk but that did not work and ended up making the files not visible in Windows Explorer, but they were still there.  I then try and fix the drive using Testdisk but for reasons I can not remember I stopped it before it finished.  After that I did not do anything with it for a few months as I was busy with classes.

I turned it back on a few days ago now and the files are now showing up in Windows Explorer.  I tried to copy the files using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier but it is not very feasible as copy speeds were going anywhere from 5 kb/s to 50 kb/s.  Of the small amount of files I tried to copy most of them timed out and only a partial file was copied.  The files are going into a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2tb.  Also when I use CrystalDiskInfo to try and check the health of the drive it does not detect the drive.

Also I have been trying to pull a full list of files using dir /s from the command prompt, but it stops when there is a read error.  Is there any way around that?

All of the above was done on a Windows 7 laptop.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

You can give SpinRite a try.  It isn't free, but he does offer a money back guarantee.  The cost is $89.  Only you can say if the data is worth it.  It may take a day or two to run.  I've had good success as long as I could see the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users