Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dsfan68

dsfan68

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

OK here is the deal. I run Win 98 SE. A few days ago my computer froze, so I shut it down. When I went to turn it back on, the screen showed the compaq logo, then the widows logo, then the screen went blank and the monitor light turned orange like it was in sleep mode. But i wiggled the mouse and got nothing. So I thought OK well it is my monitor, so I went and got our sons monitor hooked it all up, and it does the same thing. So I booted up in safe mode and it comes on fine that way, but I tried to go to windows help and figure out what is up that way, but I can only navigat thru the screen with my key board, my mouse does not work in safe mode. I went to the device manager tab and I noticed my graphics driver has a red X next to it. Can I un-install it then re-boot? Will the system recognize that it is gone? I was also told that if I get a Win 98 CD and put it in that will fix it. The only problem ther is that I can not see the screen to read anything or click on anything if I have to. Can that be done in safe mode?
Somebody please help me
I am going to have a brain aneurism ove this :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

Well, there are several things you can try. First, boot into Safe Mode, and change your display settings to VGA. (Yes, you're already at VGA, but you want to change it so it will be viewable when you restart Windows.) So choose 640 X 480 and 16 colors and then hit Apply. Then try restarting normally and see if you get your screen back.

Chances are that you've lost your video driver or it's been corrupted, which explains the X in Device Manager. In Safe Mode, you're using a standard video driver and your card's drivers aren't being used. When your system crashed, it may have upset your settings somehow.

If it works, and you can see the screen, then you should be able to install your video drivers. If it does start, it'll be just like Safe Mode. If you try to change the resolution, it might work, but it more likely won't without new drivers and you'll be back where you started.

So the next step is finding out where your motherboard drivers are. If they're standard Windows drivers, you can get them either from the Windows CD or from the CAB files if you've copied them to your hard drive. (Always a good idea.) But if it's a specialty card or onboard graphics, you may need to get them from a driver disk that came with the card, the motherboard disk (if it's onboard), or the manufacturer's driver CD. If you don't have any one of those options, you may need to look for the drivers online at the manufacturer's site.

If you don't know what your video card is, you may have to crack the case. You could use software like this older Everest Home to find out what it is.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

my mouse does not work in safe mode

The mouse issue needs to be addressed first. You can navigate 98 without a mouse, but it is not easy!

What type of mouse do you have? Is it USB or wireless?
If so, it will not work in 98 safe mode.

I recommend going to your local dollar store and picking up a standard PS/2 mouse for about 5 bucks. Its the kind with the round connector.
You dont want to try navigating Windows 98 without a mouse, especially in safe mode while troubleshooting!

Edited by Eyesee, 13 August 2006 - 09:37 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users