Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much updating to Win 8.0 is required to get the free Win 10?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

Do I only need to fully update Win 8.0 or do I need to go all the way through Win 8.1?

I will be using my dvd of Win 8.0/64 which I took off and replaced with Win 7.

My internet connection is rather slow so I don't want to do any more updating than I need to go straight to Win 10.

I will be keeping Win 7 on HD1. I want to install and update Win 8.0 onto a new HD2.

Thanks

Edited by brian2009, 20 July 2016 - 12:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:22 AM

Hi,

You can go straight to Windows 10 if you want a clean install not upgrade. During install you can use your Windows 8 key to activate Windows 10.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

Thanks,

That sounds like a better route to go...as long as my Win 8 key works.

I suppose that means I need to create a Win 10 iso, in my case on dvd.

Is there a specific MS source for the free Win 10?

I'll stat looking now.

..........................................................................................................

After looking around, I can't find where my Win8.0 key would qualify. Everything I see says you need the fully updated version of your OS, which in my case would be 8.1.

I'll keep looking. I'd like to confirm that my 8.0 key would work before I get too far along.

I think I'm only looking at the requirements for Upgrade instead of a clean install.

Edited by brian2009, 20 July 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You say you have a Windows 8 DVD is it original?

Which was the original Windows version installed on the machine?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

Yes, it's an original dvd of Win 8.0 I purchased from Tiger Direct for a desktop I built.

I used it for a few weeks, but only having dial-up at the time I didn't update it. It was still at 8.0 when the hard drive started going bad.

Then I just pulled out the hd containing the 8.0 and just set it aside because I didn't like Win 8.

Then I bought a new win 7 dvd and installed it in the desktop.

So, yes. it's a legit 8.0 dvd, already activated, just unused for over a year.

..................................................................................................................

My goal here is to have a dual boot of win 7 and 10 on the desktop, each OS using it's own HD. (2 hd's in the desktop)

Edited by brian2009, 20 July 2016 - 09:30 AM.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Then you should have keys for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Any of those keys can be used to install Windows 10 fresh and activate. You only have to match the Windows edition.

fromto.jpg

___
Rui

#7 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

The chart does not include Win 8.0, which is the version of my Windows dvd.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

Its the same as Windows 8.1, 8.1 is a free upgrade for Windows 8.

___
Rui

#9 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

I think that chart says that I need to update all the way through 8.1 to UPGRADE to Win 10.

I don't see where it's saying I can use my 8.0 key to activate a clean install of Win 10.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

I think that chart says that I need to update all the way through 8.1 to UPGRADE to Win 10.

No. That chart is only to show that if you have a license for Windows 8 you can only upgrade for free to Windows 10 Home not Pro

If you have Windows 8 Pro you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I don't see where it's saying I can use my 8.0 key to activate a clean install of Win 10.

Starting with the November update, Windows 10 (Version 1511) can be activated using some Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 product keys. For more info, see the section Activating Windows 10 (Version 1511 or higher) using a Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key in this topic.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Edited by SleepyDude, 20 July 2016 - 10:41 AM.

___
Rui

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Its the same as Windows 8.1, 8.1 is a free upgrade for Windows 8.

That said, Windows 8 and 8.1 have different product keys, but you should be able to use Windows 8 keys, just that you won't be able to upgrade using Windows Update. For that, you need to first update to Windows 8.1

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#12 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:10 AM

Well, since I'll have no data to lose or import as I will be installing Win 10 onto a new HD I think I'll create the Win 10 iso and try using the key from my 8.0 DVD.

If that doesn't work I'll go through all the updating, through 8.1.

I hope the iso method works.

Edited by brian2009, 20 July 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

Well, since I'll have no data to lose or import as I will be installing Win 10 onto a new HD I think I'll create the Win 10 iso and try using the key from my 8.0 DVD.

If that doesn't work I'll go through all the updating, through 8.1.

I hope the iso method works.

Yes it should work. If it doesn't you can call Microsoft to request help on activation.

___
Rui

#14 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

Update.

I was able to download and complete a Clean Install of Windows 10 onto a new second HDD in a dual-boot setup (7 and 10).

I tried creating the dvd iso first, with no luck. My optical drive wouldn't read the dvds I created. I burned two dvds then gave up and used the USB iso method which worked fine.

I was able to activate it using my Windows 8.0 product key.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Brian2009 for reporting the result.

It worked as I expected. :)

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users