Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - No Device Connect Sound, But Still Prints through USB

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 l0rdthund3r

l0rdthund3r

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

After discussing this issue with both my printer manufacturer and my laptop manufacturer, the going assumption is that the issue referenced above is a quirk of Windows 10.

When I print to any printer using a USB cable (necessary as my wireless router sometimes goes down), I don't hear the familiar "Connected chime" that you normally would hear when connecting a USB device.  But it does indeed print using the USB cable, and the printer is highlighted in color (i.e., not greyed out) in the Devices and Printers portion of Control Panel.  The only time I DID hear the connection chime was when the USB driver for the printer was first installed - but I haven't heard it since.  The connection chime oddly does provide peace of mind, so I'd love to get it back.

Moreover, I hear the USB device connect sound with other devices, such as my scanner, joystick, USB hub, mouse, etc.  So it's strange that this is only happening with printers when using the USB port.

The hypothesis of one of the support reps with whom I spoke is that, because my printer was NOT a standard "plug and play" device and required a special driver to install it, that once said driver was installed, the device became "part of the computer" and no longer chimed when connected via USB.    And while such an explanation sounds very Dalai Lama, I'm not entirely certain I understand it.  But I can say that my 5-year old Windows 7 laptop always emits a device connect sound when connecting to the same printer via USB, so I believe that Win 10 is at issue here.

Does anyone in the community have any experience or thoughts on this issue?  Thank you for your help.

Edited by l0rdthund3r, 20 July 2016 - 03:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:35 AM

Does it show up in the Safely Remove dialog in the System Tray (in the lower right corner)?

If so, can you Safely Eject it?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

You will hear a audio sound when you connect a USB device that Windows does not have driver install for the USB device so the audio sound indicates that the Windows has detected new USB device has been connected and you will also notice that Windows is installing or searching for driver for the connected USB device. My bad i was wrong i have my Windows sound scheme disabled for long time maybe you should have a look at the sound scheme your Windows OS using from Control Panel --> Sound and from Sound tab select Windows Default sound scheme.

Edited by FreeBooter, 21 July 2016 - 08:34 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 l0rdthund3r

l0rdthund3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:52 AM

Does it show up in the Safely Remove dialog in the System Tray (in the lower right corner)?

If so, can you Safely Eject it?

Usasma - No, it does not show up in the Safely Remove dialog.

You will hear a audio sound when you connect a USB device that Windows does not have driver install for the USB device so the audio sound indicates that the Windows has detected new USB device has been connected and you will also notice that Windows is installing or searching for driver for the connected USB device. My bad i was wrong i have my Windows sound scheme disabled for long time maybe you should have a look at the sound scheme your Windows OS using from Control Panel --> Sound and from Sound tab select Windows Default sound scheme.

FreeBooter - my Sound scheme, although a "modified" Windows Default scheme, indeed has the appropriate "Device connect sound".

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

Let putted like this if the devices connected to USB port works then you have no issue or you can reinstall USB controller driver,

Device Manager displays only non-Plug and Play devices, drivers, and printers when you click Show hidden devices on the View menu. Devices that you install that are not connected to the computer (such as a Universal Serial Bus [USB] device or "ghosted" devices) are not displayed in Device Manager, even when you click Show hidden devices.

To work around this behavior and display devices when you click Show hidden devices:

1. Click Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, and then right click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator".
2. At a Command Prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
set devmgr_show_presentment_devices=1
3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
start devmgmt.msc
4. Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.

5. expand “Universal Serial Bus controllers”.

6.  Right-click on every USB device found there and select “Uninstall”.

6.  When you finish restart your computer.

After restart wait until Windows automatically install all USB Serial Bus controllers again.
Now plug your USB devices (one by one) and see if your computer can recognize them properly and without errors.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.

Solution 2: Diagnose & Solve USB problems with Windows Troubleshooter
1. Open “Troubleshooting” from Control Panel. To do that:

• Press “Windows”  Image-201_thumb81_thumb.png  + “R” keys to load the Run dialog box.
  • Type “control panel” and press Enter.
control-panel_thumb1.jpg
2. Change the “View By” option to “Small icons” and click “Troubleshooting”.
troubleshooting_thumb.jpg
3. Under “Hardware and Sound” section, click “Configure a device”.
configure-device_thumb.jpg
4. When Hardware and Devices troubleshooter appears on your screen, press “Next”.
hardware-devices-troubleshooter_thumb.jp
5. When troubleshooter diagnose is completed, apply all fixes prompted and then check USB functionality.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users