Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could be causing frame drops?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 channcey

channcey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

I get frame drops in every game, sometimes when there's a lot going on, sometimes not. I can get a constant 59-60fps for a little bit then it drops in any range from about 40-5 or 10 frames. (basing this off of OverWatch off memory)

Hardware:

AMD Radeon R9 390 Series

AMD FX-9370 Eight-Core Processor

MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 Motherboard

16GB Ram

750W power supply

Attached CPUID HWMonitor stats while running Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed out to push the limits

I can try to provide any other information necessary

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

Any other things running in the background? Just run the system normally without gaming and inspect the task manager and see if anything in there is causing the cpu to jump 100%. Are you overclocking the CPU or GPU? I noticed that your second picture is showing the 12v+ is at 13.8+ that might be a problem. The program could be putting out wrong numbers. Check those within the bios itself. If you have a volt meter handy I would test the 12volt rail going to GPU Yellow/Black wires. It could be completely the opposite and the video card is starved for power. R9's are a power hungry video card. What is the make/model of the Power Supply Unit? Could be a issue that the PSU is not delivering enough volts & amperes to the video card.

Edited by technonymous, 19 July 2016 - 10:57 PM.

#3 channcey

channcey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

I make sure to not have anything running except for discord, steam, and spotify. And on normal startup the cpu stays normal. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012 this is my power supply

and everything else is a little too technical for me, but i can give more information if needed.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:08 AM

I make sure to not have anything running except for discord, steam, and spotify. And on normal startup the cpu stays normal. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012 this is my power supply

and everything else is a little too technical for me, but i can give more information if needed.

That is a good PSU. However, you could have bought a lemon. I would boot into bios using the Del key and verify your voltage readings. The picture that you have posted shows the 12v+ is 13.8v+ and your 5V+ is under what it should be. The software could be wrong.

Edited by technonymous, 21 July 2016 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users