Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 upgrade error code 80070005

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Windows_10_noob

Windows_10_noob

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

I have tried to upgrade my Toshiba laptop to windows 10 tens of times using get windows 10, media creation tool and windows 10 upgrade assistant and every time I get right up to installation and it fails and says "Something Happened" giving me  the error code 80070005

Please Help Me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

G'day Windows_10_noob, and Welcome to BC

AS far as I can see this error has to do with updates.

Read from the link below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/918355#bookmark-_method2

The program can’t install definition updates
Error found: Code error_code

Note The error_code that is included in these messages represents the error code that you receive, and this error code might vary. The most common error codes are 0x8024402f or 0x80240016. However, you might receive a different error code, such as one of the following:

• 0x8024402c
  • 0x80240022
  • 0X80004002
  • 0x80070422
  • 0x80072efd
  • 0x80070005
  • 0x80072f78
  • 0x80072ee2
  • 0x8007001B

If this describes your situation, try Method 2.

....and below this on the linked page is a "Fix It" button

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 Windows_10_noob

Windows_10_noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

Edited by Windows_10_noob, 20 July 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Windows_10_noob

Windows_10_noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

G'day Windows_10_noob, and Welcome to BC

AS far as I can see this error has to do with updates.

Read from the link below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/918355#bookmark-_method2

The program can’t install definition updates
Error found: Code error_code

Note The error_code that is included in these messages represents the error code that you receive, and this error code might vary. The most common error codes are 0x8024402f or 0x80240016. However, you might receive a different error code, such as one of the following:

• 0x8024402c
  • 0x80240022
  • 0X80004002
  • 0x80070422
  • 0x80072efd
  • 0x80070005
  • 0x80072f78
  • 0x80072ee2
  • 0x8007001B

If this describes your situation, try Method 2.

....and below this on the linked page is a "Fix It" button

Thanks for the reply Condobloke! One problem: I didn't check for updates using windows defender and none of the instructions you gave me apply to my situation. Anyway I pressed check for updates in windows defender anyway and it says 'No more definitions or updates avalible' 

HELP ME PLEASE!

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

Is there a chance you could post a screenshot of upgrade process where Windows 10 fails to upgrade.

Make sure to uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs before upgrading to Windows 10.

Does the Windows Update works on currently install Windows OS?

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#6 Windows_10_noob

Windows_10_noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

Is there a chance you could post a screenshot of upgrade process where Windows 10 fails to upgrade.

Make sure to uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs before upgrading to Windows 10.

Does the Windows Update works on currently install Windows OS?

Hey freeboooter!

Here is a link to an image of the error code message in my google drive. Sorry about the bad quality.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByWqIaz_ND68dmNIUU13RDFzR0VWOXVXaTZzc2xJTmZyXzhJ

Windows_10_noob

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hi Windows_10_noob and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

We can use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade your computer to Windows 10

Upgrading to Windows 10 with MediaCreationTool

Note: Although the chances of data loss are slim, it is advisable to backup your computer

Go to this page, and click Upgrade Now

It will download the Media Creation Tool.

Run the downloaded file

Choose Upgrade This PC

Click Next

Follow the instructions

Note: When it asks you about keeping your files, make sure to choose to keep everything

If you have any questions, let us know!

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

You said you have tried Media Creation Tool well this tool does not download Windows installation ISO using Windows Update. What happens when when you try to upgrade to Windows 10 with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

If you want you can download the Windows 10 ISO image from below website link.

You can follow my instruction at my tutorial to learn how to create a Bootable  Windows 10 USB Flash Drive.  You can also use RUFUS program to create bootable USB flash drive or burn the Windows 10 image to DVD. You can also mount Windows 10 image double click Setup.exe and follow the instruction to upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10 ISO Downloads

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

- Dalai Lama

#9 Windows_10_noob

Windows_10_noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

You said you have tried Media Creation Tool well this tool does not download Windows installation ISO using Windows Update. What happens when when you try to upgrade to Windows 10 with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

If you want you can download the Windows 10 ISO image from below website link.

You can follow my instruction at my tutorial to learn how to create a Bootable  Windows 10 USB Flash Drive.  You can also use RUFUS program to create bootable USB flash drive or burn the Windows 10 image to DVD. You can also mount Windows 10 image double click Setup.exe and follow the instruction to upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10 ISO Downloads

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Hi the error image on google drive was from when I tried using get windows 10 which does use windows update BTW. Usually when I use the media creation tool it starts to install windows 10 and then poof. It just stops and says in a dray dialog box 'windows 10 instillation failed, something happened' I'll send you a pic of it when I can.

If I upgraded using your ISO instructions would my PC be wiped in the process?  Would I loose all my data?

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

Please zip and attach C:\Windows.~bt\Sources\Panther\SetupAct.log and SetupErr.log. Lets see why MediaCreationTool is not upgrading

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:38 PM

Open Command Prompt as administrator and type Sfc /Scannow  command and press Enter key to repair any damage Windows system files.

Within Command Prompt type Chkdsk C:  /r and press Enter key to schedule a next reboot time error checking of C: partition.

Download the Windows ISO image from the link i have given you at my post #8.

If you can mount the image then double click the Setup.exe to start upgrade process this is same upgrade process if you have done it from Windows Update or Media Creation tool. If you cannot mount Windows 10 ISO image then you need to create a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive or DVD and again within running Windows you need to double click Setup.exe file that is on bootable media you have created to start upgrade process. You can't upgrade to Windows 10 if you boot computer with bootable Windows media you have created you only can clean install Windows OS but to upgrade you need to start upgrade process from running Windows OS you will be upgrading to Windows 10. Don't worry your upgrade process will not delete your personal files or any partition you have created and data store in them.

Edited by FreeBooter, 20 July 2016 - 06:41 PM.

- Dalai Lama

#12 Windows_10_noob

Windows_10_noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

Here is an image of what media creation tool says when it fails

Please zip and attach C:\Windows.~bt\Sources\Panther\SetupAct.log and SetupErr.log. Lets see why MediaCreationTool is not upgrading

-CKing

Here they are in google drive

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByWqIaz_ND68eXEyUDJqakxEY0E

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:31 PM

All the errors seem to relate to permissions. Let's use Windows Repair All-In-One to repair a few things and then use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade again 

Windows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One
Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there
Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator
From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it
Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window
Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Repair Windows Updates

Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute
If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through
Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it

After restarting, use Media Creation Tool and try to upgrade again.

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#14 Windows_10_noob

Windows_10_noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

Open Command Prompt as administrator and type Sfc /Scannow  command and press Enter key to repair any damage Windows system files.

Within Command Prompt type Chkdsk C:  /r and press Enter key to schedule a next reboot time error checking of C: partition.

Download the Windows ISO image from the link i have given you at my post #8.

If you can mount the image then double click the Setup.exe to start upgrade process this is same upgrade process if you have done it from Windows Update or Media Creation tool. If you cannot mount Windows 10 ISO image then you need to create a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive or DVD and again within running Windows you need to double click Setup.exe file that is on bootable media you have created to start upgrade process. You can't upgrade to Windows 10 if you boot computer with bootable Windows media you have created you only can clean install Windows OS but to upgrade you need to start upgrade process from running Windows OS you will be upgrading to Windows 10. Don't worry your upgrade process will not delete your personal files or any partition you have created and data store in them.

Thanks!

The upgrade setup.exe was going well but just like what happens when I used the media creation tool: it gets to the installation process and just fails and the same popup in this link 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByWqIaz_ND68bzd0cjFBOHQ2TUZTOWpoUm5sMGlUTldqd0tv

Thanks for your help.

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Did you try the Windows AIO Repair here:?

All the errors seem to relate to permissions. Let's use Windows Repair All-In-One to repair a few things and then use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade again 

Windows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One
Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there
Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator
From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it
Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window
Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Repair Windows Updates

Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute
If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through
Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it

After restarting, use Media Creation Tool and try to upgrade again.

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users