Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone recommend a replacement for an ASUS EXA1202YH 19V adapter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

The notebook is an ASUS N56D. 

Right now the battery isn't charging but it's not dead. I tried removing the adapter and running the computer exclusively off the adapter and it wouldn't start, so I'm pretty sure it's the adapter gone bad and not anything internal (I hope) since the adapter isn't getting warm when plugged in (am I assuming correctly there?).

I've been poking around and i seems difficult to find an OEM that is legitimate (at least going by reviews) and it's also difficult to find a third-party adapter that's got decent reviews either.

I'm sure I'm just being dense about this, but better to ask and look stupid so long as I get an answer.

I'll probably just take it to the local guy my brother bought it from tommorrow and ask if he has any replacements handy, though I'm sure it'll end up being more expensive than if I bought it myself and I'll have to wait for it to come in to his store anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

I believe this is an OEM.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-90W-Notebook-Power-Adapter/dp/B00C9KUVWQ

Edit: you should be able to test the output of your current adapter with a multimeter.

Here is another good video that tests the terminals at the battery connection.

And at the motheboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh5Ai8tAb1k

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 July 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

I tested with an analog multimeter I borrowed from my father and while I'm not entirely sure how to use this thing I'm pretty sure that I tested AC and DC with the settings on it correctly, whatever the case the power cord is working but the connector that goes into the computer from the box clearly isn't, so it does seem that the adapter has gone and died.

Anyway, looking at the images, reviews and description I am not 100% certain the adapter has the right sized connector, so I opted to buy the (sadly, much more expensive) universal adapter that ASUS produces. I'd rather spend the extra money and not have to worry about the headache of getting the wrong one. :unsure:

Edited by VicVegas, 19 July 2016 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users