Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install window 7 on old laptop, new HDD?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

My laptop is over 4 years old, I don't have the discs (not even sure if it came with one). The HDD has been replaced 3 times already, but not by me. My parents usually just give it to a store and they do it for us.

This time I want to buy the HDD and install it myself. But I'm not sure how to get windows 7 from the old HDD to the new HDD.. The old HDD has problems such as bad sectors which makes it randomly freeze..

How can I get windows 7 on the new HDD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

If the hard drive is having problems it's best to do a clean install. If your computer has a Windows 7 sticker on the bottom you can download your version of Windows 7 as an iso using a third party tool and burn the iso to disk by Right Clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You will need to do a phone activation and install drivers such as Wifi and Ethernet from your computer's support site.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

How to do a clean install of Windows 7

#3 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 7:34 PM, said:JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 7:34 PM, said:JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 7:34 PM, said:JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 7:34 PM, said:JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 7:34 PM, said:JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 7:34 PM, said:

If the hard drive is having problems it's best to do a clean install. If your computer has a Windows 7 sticker on the bottom you can download your version of Windows 7 as an iso using a third party tool and burn the iso to disk by Right Clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You will need to do a phone activation and install drivers such as Wifi and Ethernet from your computer's support site.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

How to do a clean install of Windows 7

I was thinking of going to safe mode to get the product key, then writing the product key down and then downloading the Windows 7 ISO on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 to the 4.7 gb disc.

After installing the new HDD to the laptop, I would insert the disc and download Windows 7. Then I activate Windows 7 with the product key I got from old HDD.

Will there be any problems with this?

Also I heard I can't have windows on two computers, so I don't think I can have it on two HDD either? Do I have to delete windows 7 from my old HDD for the product key to work on the new HDD? Do I need to contact windows and explain them my situation?

Edited by araragi, 19 July 2016 - 07:17 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

I don't believe you will be able to download the Windows 7 iso in the link you posted if your OS is OEM. If retail it will work. 

I would recommend after getting your key you download Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the to a folder on your desktop, Right click the exe file and Run As Administrator. A window will appear with an Activation Backup button. Click it. Your activation will be stored in the unzipped folder. Save this folder to a USB flash drive. After installing your OS you can restore the activation file.

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

Edit: You can have Windows 7 on as many hard drives as you wish but the hard drives are tied to your computer and no other.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 July 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#5 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:55 PM

JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 8:24 PM, said:JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 8:24 PM, said:

I don't believe you will be able to download the Windows 7 iso in the link you posted if your OS is OEM. If retail it will work. 

I would recommend after getting your key you download Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the to a folder on your desktop, Right click the exe file and Run As Administrator. A window will appear with an Activation Backup button. Click it. Your activation will be stored in the unzipped folder. Save this folder to a USB flash drive. After installing your OS you can restore the activation file.

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

Edit: You can have Windows 7 on as many hard drives as you wish but the hard drives are tied to your computer and no other.

How do I know if my OS is OEM or not?

So I "get" my key by writing it down, right? Then I download advanced token manager to backup the key and then restore it, but then why did I have to write the key down?

"Unzip the to a folder on your desktop" Typo I think?

Would downloading Windows 7 ISO from a third party website still give me a legal windows 7?

Edited by araragi, 19 July 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, that's a typo. You don't need to write the key down as Advanced Token Manager stores that. To determine if you have an OEM right click Computer and select properties. At the bottom of the Window see your product ID. It will contain OEM.

The third party tool uses a workaround to download Windows 7. This is a legitimate Windows 7 iso from tech bench. I believe it uses the workaround shown on this page. Using the downloaded iso and Advanced Token Manager will give you an activated OS.

https://techjourney.net/windows-7-8-1-10-iso-official-direct-download-links-from-microsoft-tech-bench/

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 July 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for that one John.

#8 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

JohnC_21, on 19 Jul 2016 - 9:08 PM, said:

Yeah, that's a typo. You don't need to write the key down as Advanced Token Manager stores that. To determine if you have an OEM right click Computer and select properties. At the bottom of the Window see your product ID. It will contain OEM.

The third party tool uses a workaround to download Windows 7. This is a legitimate Windows 7 iso from tech bench. I believe it uses the workaround shown on this page. Using the downloaded iso and Advanced Token Manager will give you an activated OS.

https://techjourney.net/windows-7-8-1-10-iso-official-direct-download-links-from-microsoft-tech-bench/

Also, my current desktop contains AAOEM on the final line.

It is retail windows 10, so I don't think it should be OEM?

What's the difference between typing the product code and using advanced token manager?

I understand most of what I should do. Thank you

Edited by araragi, 19 July 2016 - 08:13 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

I am not sure about Windows 10. Windows 7 has the OEM in the middle of the PID. If Windows 10 shows as activated it does not make a difference as the computer is activated from your hardware ID and stored on Microsoft servers. If you need a Windows 10 iso you can download it here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

#10 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

I see, thank you again.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:19 PM

Your Welcome. You will notice once you press Activation Backup it will change to Restore once successfully backing up the activation into two files, config.ini and tokens.dat, in a folder called Windows Activation Backup

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

I see, thank you again.

Your Welcome. I would still right down the key. Advanced Token Manager will display it.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

Your Welcome. You will notice once you press Activation Backup it will change to Restore once successfully backing up the activation into two files, config.ini and tokens.dat, in a folder called Windows Activation Backup

Every now and then I need to do that. It will be much easier than my current workarounds, for sure.

#14 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

I am trying to download th Windows 7 ISO and the product key saver but norton is warning me not to use it.

Is there another, more oftenly used Windows 7 ISO and product key saver that you could link to me?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

The Product key saver is a false positive if you are downloading the Advanced Token Manager I linked to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users