Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 on old hardware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alpha_3rewqr

alpha_3rewqr

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:53 PM

Whats your experience on running windows 10 on old hardware?

On this website, the consensus seems to be that Windows 10 is much better than windows 7 on old laptops

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/389mln/windows_7_runs_fantastic_on_old_crappy_celeron/

The title of this reddit post is wrong.. it should read windows 10 runs fantastic on old crappy celeron. My laptop is also a celeron.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Back in February of 2005, I purchased a Dell Dimension 8400. The computer had Windows XP pro installed, 2 gig of RAM and a 512 Mb video card. The processor was an Intel Pentium 4 HT 550  running at 3.4 GHz. Excellent machine

In 2010 the computer was upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate and it ran flawlessly. RAM was upgraded to 4 gig. In 2012 the original Hard Drive was replaced with a Samsung 830, which is still the main drive.

I decided to upgrade the old Dell to Windows 10 and did run into a few issues. First, Windows 10 would not install, the old processor did not support XD bit which is an NX bit  implementationThese old processors are cheap so I replaced the Pentium 4 HT 550 with a Pentium 4 HT 660. The install of Windows 10 went smooth. The only other required change was my Video card. I replaced the original video card with a Dell Nvidia Radeon HD6450 1Gb DDR3. My dual monitors now worked properly.

Everything else worked well. This old machine has performed well with Windows 10. I recently reinstalled my Flight Simulator and it also seems to work well. My old SoundBlaster sound card also works well. All my old programs work with no problems. 

A couple minor changes had to be made, but the old Dell works well with Windows 10

I cannot say the same for my 2009 Sony Vaio Laptop. I could never get the touchpad to work properly with Windows 10 Pro x64. I have since reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Windows 10 has been reinstalled on a different Hard drive, and maybe I'll try to figure out the touchpad problem later.

Edited by Ranger SVO, 19 July 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#3 alpha_3rewqr

alpha_3rewqr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for your comment Ranger.

My computer is not that old. I guess I should have said slow rather than old. I have a 2015 Asus laptop but with Celeron processor, which makes it slow. I think there shouldnt be any driver issues for a 2015 laptop right?

#4 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

You should have no problem with your laptop. The only reason I had a problem with my laptop is that its old and the Windows 10 Touchpad driver is not available. Other than that the Sony did not have any problems with Windows 10. My Sony has an Intel T7800 Core2Duo running at 2.6GHz and it also has 4Gig RAM and an SSD.

Windows 10 did run well, with no problems other than the touchpad. 

I would assume all the drivers you need will be available for your laptop.

#5 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

I recently upgraded a XP PC with 1g ram, was about 15 years old and it was running 10 semi-decently.

#6 Clade

Clade

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

Sorry for my English!

. AM Sempron processor 3000, 1.6 GHz, motherboard of 2006 running Windows 10 well, including drivers.

. The only different situation was that even the processor is x64, Microsoft Media installed the 32 bit system. In all previous attempts via USB stick also occurred the same situation.m.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users