Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems imaging a partition

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hi, I'm not really sure where to put this thread, as it is kind of a cross-platform question... It mainly involves Windows 7, but on Apple hardware (and thus Apple Boot Camp drivers and software).

The issue is this. My hard drive was disgustingly partitioned and the Boot Camp Windows partition was unreadable from the OSX side, so I saved a system image, erased the Boot Camp partition, and reinstalled Windows, thinking I could simply re-image the partition once I was done. 

...Wish I had known about WinClone before all of this. But what's done is done, and now I have a problem. Windows 7, in repair mode, doesn't detect any external hardware, which means it doesn't detect my external hard drive and thus can't see my backup image. I can see the external drive just fine when I'm booted into Windows, but not in repair mode. So I can't seem to re-image the partition. I'm a little worried about using alternative software to the Windows default software, too... I only want to image the partition, not the whole drive, and I know from others' experiences that the built-in image restore only restores the partition. 

Help!

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2016 - 05:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to BackUP/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

Can you seethe drive in Diskpart or Disk Management? if so you may have to assign a path (Drive letter) to the drive.

Also curious why you used bootcamp are you dual booting or single?

I just installed win 7 on an imac g5 recently and seamlessly, without bootcamp, just the install disk.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

Is this "Repair Mode" done using a Windows 7 install disk? If you have the Windows 7 install disk you can access the menu to recover the System Image. Maybe by using the install disk it will detect your external drive.

If the computer has both USB 3 and USB 2 ports make sure you are using USB 2 ports as the install disk does not have native USB 3 ports.

560x429ximage251.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+

#4 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

Can you seethe drive in Diskpart or Disk Management? if so you may have to assign a path (Drive letter) to the drive.

Also curious why you used bootcamp are you dual booting or single?

Nope, only C: and X: are visible. There are no other drives available to even assign a letter to. I think it's because the Boot Camp drivers are not running in repair mode...

Also, I am dual booting.

Is this "Repair Mode" done using a Windows 7 install disk? If you have the Windows 7 install disk you can access the menu to recover the System Image. Maybe by using the install disk it will detect your external drive.

If the computer has both USB 3 and USB 2 ports make sure you are using USB 2 ports as the install disk does not have native USB 3 ports.

560x429ximage251.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+

No, the Repair Mode I'm using is from the F8 key. My Windows disk is really only an upgrade disk since I bought it as a student, so it doesn't seem to contain the repair mode in the disk. I do always see the menu you have a picture of, though.

That said, I don't even know if that would work, since I don't have an internal CD drive. I do have both USB3 and USB2 ports, but the mouse is always plugged into the USB2 port, and that doesn't work in repair mode.

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 19 July 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

if you plug anything else into those same USB ports does anything happen? eg, does autoplay open?

if not, try updating your USB drivers

Edited by Viper_Security, 19 July 2016 - 06:08 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#6 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:09 PM

if you plug anything else into those same USB ports does anything happen? eg, does autoplay open?

You mean in regular Windows mode or Repair Mode?

Regular Windows boot, they work perfectly fine. Repair mode, I haven't tried switching the devices to see if only the mouse does not work... in Repair Mode, the external drive lights up as if it is being read, but it isn't detected. Should I try the USB2 port where the mouse is and see what happens?

As for the USB drivers, the version of Boot Camp I installed with is the latest available for my Macbook, so...

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 19 July 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

You mean in regular Windows mode or Repair Mode?

Regular Windows boot, they work perfectly fine. Repair mode, I haven't tried switching the devices to see if only the mouse does not work... in Repair Mode, the external drive lights up as if it is being read, but it isn't detected. Should I try the USB2 port where the mouse is and see what happens?

As for the USB drivers, the version of Boot Camp I installed with is the latest available for my Macbook, so...

even though its the latest version the USB hostfile might not have been configured correctly.

and yes, try the USB 2.0 port.

if it works there (in either mode) USB3.0 isn't installed correctly (may be correct for one OS but not the other, make sense??)

Troubleshooting: The mundane part of all IT Consultants jobs, haha,

hQBT2G3.png

#8 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

even though its the latest version the USB hostfile might not have been configured correctly.

and yes, try the USB 2.0 port.
if it works there (in either mode) USB3.0 isn't installed correctly (may be correct for one OS but not the other, make sense??)

Troubleshooting: The mundane part of all IT Consultants jobs, haha,

Tried the USB 2.0 port, with no luck.

Running Boot Camp repair from a USB atm, but I'm not entirely sure this Boot Camp driver is the correct one... I could not get Boot Camp through the program OSX provides, so I instead downloaded it from the Apple website. Maybe I will try and see if I can get them through the program instead...

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:32 PM

Okay, after you get through that, let us know the progress. i am curious.

hQBT2G3.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

You can download a full install iso of your version using this third party tool.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

#11 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:46 AM

Okay, after you get through that, let us know the progress. i am curious.

Annnnnnnd complete failure. I did get Boot Camp to download but Crapple forgot to sign a very important driver and that makes it impossible to boot. I allowed Windows to use unsigned drivers to try and negate the error, and, well, BSOD.

Also tried the "delete AppleSSD.sys" (the unsigned driver in question) method people suggest on Google, and yeah, Win7 completes installation that way, but no external devices are detected --> Boot Camp doesn't even install.

Oh, did I forget to mention...? Boot Camp Assistant wouldn't let me download the drivers unless I removed the partition AGAIN.

...this is like a nightmare... is there any other way to recover my system image and just copy it over...? I can't get Windows 7 to reinstall PROPERLY with Boot Camp drivers working. Windows 7 uses "Generic" drivers for everything and whenever I try to manually install Boot Camp, I'm told my hardware doesn't meet the minimum requirements... which is a lie because it definitely worked before.

I've got 7 days to fix this.......... and I'm getting to wit's end... I wish I hadn't attempted to update Boot Camp for the fresh install. Now I've lost the drivers I know worked. Don't fix what's not broken, as they say.

sorry for taking this out on you

You can download a full install iso of your version using this third party tool.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Thanks for finding this, but I found out it works after all.

It's weird. I just have to install then upgrade, because the product key is only for an upgrade... as far as I know...

I should also mention that whenever I try to upgrade (in case this is why Boot Camp isn't working -- I haven't activated Windows the product key), it hangs at "Expanding Windows Files" at 18%, and doesn't move at all. The suggestion was to wait, but... I left it overnight and there was no progress. It sounds like the CD drive is not doing anything.

EDIT: Some more digging finds that both USB ports are 3.0... and lots of people have problems with Windows Repair Mode not recognizing USB3. There's a workaround for this, so I'll be trying that next.

EDIT 2: SOLVED!!! I had to copy Apple's USB3 drivers to the disk and then load them from the Repair Mode/CD. Only then was my system image detected. Happy days~

But what OSX sees, and what Boot Camp contains, are two completely different drives contents altogether... hmm...

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 22 July 2016 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users