Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

About two days ago, I was using my computer like normal when it suddenly shut off. I went to turn it back on and... nothing. The power supply light wasn't on and the power button wasn't lighting up. I unplugged the power supply and waited a few seconds, thinking something had caused a surge. After the light on the power supply flashed I plugged it back in. Power supply light lit up, and I thought all was right with the world.

I hit the power button, the light flashed and then... went dead, along with the power supply. I'm not sure if the fault here is with the power supply or the motherboard... It's not a problem with overheating cause I went to take a shower shortly after and there was a good 30 minutes for the power supply (which was indeed warm) to cool down. However I did the unplug reset trick again and still nothing. I have another power supply I got for a Christmas gift (thought a video card I got at the same time would require a beefier unit.) but I tried it at around the time I got it but the computer wouldn't even boot up; the power light would just keep blinking with nothing else happening. I imagine it's cause I was using one half of a 4x2 pin connector for the CPU power connector (which is a 2x2 on my board)?

If it means anything I uhhh... accidentally touched something I probably shouldn't have and caused a bit of smoke at around the same time I tried connecting the coolmax power supply, but nothing bad seemed to immediately happen and the computer worked fine for the next few years until now (this was around 2013, I think.)

If it means anything (again), the inside of my computer is also really dusty. But that's explained simply by me not getting serious about asking my folks for compressed air.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

How about some specs on all this ? 

Make and model of the computer and make and model of the Christmas gift PSU. Or, if you built the computer yourself, make and models of the existing PSU, the mobo, the processor and the RAM as well as the make and model of the spare PSU. And what OS you are using.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

How about some specs on all this ? 

Make and model of the computer and make and model of the Christmas gift PSU. Or, if you built the computer yourself, make and models of the existing PSU, the mobo, the processor and the RAM as well as the make and model of the spare PSU. And what OS you are using.

Chris Cosgrove

HP Pavilion p6557c computer and the christmas gift PSU is... Coolmax ZX-500 PSU. And the OS is Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

I have 4GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD and an AMD Athlon II Dual-core processor.

Edited by Shade the Wolf, 19 July 2016 - 06:36 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Sorry to be a little slow getting back on this one but I got tied up yesterday.  Have a look at this video, it shows a mobo replacement on a computer the same model as yours. While the mobos are different makes, their connectors appear the same - 24 pin main connector and a square 4 pin 0 and +12V (2 x black and 2 x yellow wires). also have a look at the referenced PDF file, it is the data sheet for your Coolmax PSU. Some variants of the Coolmax have the same 4 pin connector and some have the 8 pin.

So long as you got it to connect with the yellow wires next to the retaining clip and the black ones on the other side you should be OK.

caused a bit of smoke at around the same time I tried connecting the coolmax power supply, but nothing bad seemed to immediately happen

This bit does worry me !  Electronics are not meant to give off smoke and this is normally a sign that at least one component has been stressed beyond its limits. If I understand you correctly, this was the Coolmax PSU, in which case it too is probably fried. The only way to test it effectively is to put it into another computer and see if it works, or try another PSU in this computer. If you can't borrow somebody's spare one, basic ones are not expensive.

http://www.coolmaxusa.com/download/usermanual/zx-500.pdf

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Ahh, to clarify the smoke was coming off the motherboard. What happened was that I saw some exposed connector (a serial port for something most likely) and thought that it was where I was supposed to connect a cable from the PSU. Turns out it wasn't. Probably should've stopped when it wouldn't fit the first time but sometimes I'm dumb. But that still probably killed the PSU. I will try to connect it the way you've specified though and see if that works. Also thanks for the video and PDF documentation. I appreciate it :D

Also don't sweat the lack of expediency. While I was starting to stress a little over it, that's more my fault than yours; I have anxiety issues, and this problem has only made them worse.

Though, while I'm here typing this out, a friend of mine said that if the computer tries to power on but can't, then it means that the motherboard is dead and the PSU isn't the issue. Can you confirm this? Cause the PSU reacts to being plugged into the wall (the light on it turns green indicating that it's plugged in and powered on), but when I try to turn on my computer, all the lights flash once before they go dark. (Power LEDs, Disk activity LED, all the peripherals with LEDs). I'll try the other power supply on the off-chance that my fooling around didn't fry it, but I might still have to look into a new mobo. (which I've narrowed it down to two: the ASRock 970M and this Gigabyte board.

#6 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

Okay so out of curiosity I plugged in the ZX-500 power supply and LO AND BEHOLD the computer BOOTED UP (as in the motherboard started. I didn't have the display connected because I just wanted to see if the motherboard would turn on). However I ran into the same issue I had before with the PSU (I had remembered it wrong previously): The computer powered on as soon as I turned on the unit. Without me telling it to. and it wouldn't accept the power override (holding the button down for... 5 seconds); I had to turn off the PSU itself to get the computer to shut down. Is that a common issue with PSUs with power switches on them? Or is it some incompatibility with my board? I don't understand why the board boots up without any input from the panel header and then won't accept the override command.

(posting as a new reply because I read somewhere on here that some mods prefer that to edited posts.)

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:01 AM

I read somewhere on here that some mods prefer that to edited posts

Just to get this out of the way there is no rule on the subject. Generally, I would say that if the edit is relatively minor then just make the edit. As an example, you forgot to include the instruction 'Switch off first'. For a more major edit, like your #6, where you are adding a substantial piece of new information, then it is probably better as an additional post. As much as anything it is a matter of judgement - which way gives the most clarity.

It is certainly now sounding as though the problem is with your mobo. While changing a mobo is not too technically demanding - it requires that you read the manual, use a bit of care and connect things correctly - your problem may be sourcing one. The obvious starting point is HP but that is probably also the most expensive source ! Google is your friend !  Use it to search for 'HP Pavilion p6557c buy motherboard'.

There is still the possibility that you CPU is also damaged but I would change the mobo first to see if the CPU is OK or not, unless you are offered a very attractive deal on mobo and processor together.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Alright, I shall look into it. Thank you for your help. I'll tell my mom this new information so she can get a new mobo for me when we have the money to. Though it'll probably have to wait until Christmas or so. Still, I'll shop around for a motherboard for my system to find a good one. Though I did find the GIGABYTE board that would fit my case (it's a mATX board, the same as my Narra6 board) at a fairly  attractive price of 55 bucks. There's also the ASRock board but people tend to have issues with those boards. It's about 10 dollars more.

And on the subject of post etiquette, I shall keep that in mind, thank you :D

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

FWIW:  http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=m2n68-la&_sacat=See-All-Categories&rmvSB=true

The M2N68-LA (and minor variations) was a popular board, eBay would probably be the best source available today, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users