Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would like to dual-boot W7 and W8(10 after upgrade) from separate HD's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

I originally built my desktop and installed Win 8.0 onto it. I didn't care for Win 8 and broke down and bought a new version of Win 7, which I am very happy with.

The issue now is that I have an upgradable DVD of Win 8.0, which unless the free W10 upgrade isn't extended will not be upgradable for free after July 29.

So I'm now looking for a way to install the W8.0 onto a new 1Tb hard drive I have. This new HD would be in addition to the existing 1Tb HD that I have W7 installed on.

I'm not looking for step by step instructions here, hopefully just some names/keywords of procedures that will get this accomplished. I can do the searching. I know Dual-Booting is probably what I'm trying to accomplish but I'm guessing there are several ways to get this done.

I rarely use this desktop so it's not like I'd be switching back and forth from 7 to 10 very often at all. I just thought I might takes advantage of the free upgrade from 8.0 to 10 while I can.

The MB is a Biostar A780L3C (link attached).

Thanks

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7404138&tab=7&SRCCODE=WEBLET03SHIP&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship

I would probably want to have the computer boot into Win 7 most of the time.

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2016 - 04:37 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

Easy enough, especially since Win 7 is the older O/S and is already installed on a hard drive.

Attach your second hard drive...insert the Win 8 DVD in the optical drive.  Change the BIOS boot options so that you boot from the optical drive as a first option.

Reboot...install Win 8 on the appropriate hard drive.

The Win 8 boot files will change the Win 7 boot so that it becomes a dual-boot (7 or 8)...you make your choice when you boot the system which now reflects Win 7 and Win 8 installs.

Louis

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thanks.

That almost sounds too easy.

Are you saying I don't need to use something like EasyBCD? Is that because Win 7 has the dual boot function already included?

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:47 PM

I found a pretty good youtube video explaining the process. In my case instead of installing Win 10, I would be installing Win 8.0 from my DVD, then updating it..

Good to know I shouldn't have to mess with 3rd party programs.

https://youtu.be/ApNeefM3pks

If I know I want to go straight from what I have (8.0) to Win 10, how much updating do I need to do to the Win 8.0 before I upgrade to Win 10?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

I don't believe in any upgrade that does not mean a clean install...I don't like leftover baggage (known or unknown) screwing up what should be a clean O/S.

Re EasyBCD...I find it to be useful and reliable and easy :), but I have only used it for Win 7 and XP.  It's a convenience, not a necessity...and it has saved any number of users who otherwise screwed up the multiboot by not installing the oldest O/S first.

Any questions about installing Win 10...can probably find the best answers in the Win 10 Discussion forum.

Louis

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

I do this all the time. You already have Windows7 installed on one HDD, right? Make sure there are no other HDDs installed in the case (or just pull off the power cable to the others to disable them).

> Boot to the BIOS screen and set your DVD to 1st boot device=CD, 2nd boot device = HDD; Save settings (usually F10). Boot into Windows 7 and then shut down.

> Unplug the power cable to the Windows7 drive.

> Install the 1TB drive and connect it to power and data (as normal).

> Insert your Windows8 installation disk and power up. Install Windows 8.

> After installation of W8 and all is normal, power down and connect your W7 drive.

> Power up. As soon as you hit the power switch, gently tap the appropriate F key for your mainboard, and an option menu will pop up with the option of booting into either of the two. Arrow-key to hilight the appropriate OS and hit Enter.

> If you usually boot into W7, it will be the auto-default system that the computer will boot into unless you want W8. So you only hit the F key if you want W8. Very convenient.

> Check your manual for the correct F key to tap; my Asrock board is F11, it may be different on yours.

Edited by ranchhand_, 20 July 2016 - 10:59 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

I do this all the time. You already have Windows7 installed on one HDD, right? Make sure there are no other HDDs installed in the case (or just pull off the power cable to the others to disable them).
> Boot to the BIOS screen and set your DVD to 1st boot device=CD, 2nd boot device = HDD; Save settings (usually F10). Boot into Windows 7 and then shut down.
> Unplug the power cable to the Windows7 drive.
> Install the 1TB drive and connect it to power and data (as normal).
> Insert your Windows8 installation disk and power up. Install Windows 8.
> After installation of W8 and all is normal, power down and connect your W7 drive.
> Power up. As soon as you hit the power switch, gently tap the appropriate F key for your mainboard, and an option menu will pop up with the option of booting into either of the two. Arrow-key to hilight the appropriate OS and hit Enter.
> If you usually boot into W7, it will be the auto-default system that the computer will boot into unless you want W8. So you only hit the F key if you want W8. Very convenient.
> Check your manual for the correct F key to tap; my Asrock board is F11, it may be different on yours.

This is the way I do multi-boot setups. It is essentially more than one "single boot" drives that you then select from by using the motherboard/BIOS boot selector.

If you do it the way hamluis suggested, then you are now dealing with the Windows boot manager on the original disk. This is fine as long as you keep the multi-boot, but can be a pain to deal with if you ever decide to get rid of the second boot drive/OS.

#8 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

If you do it the way hamluis suggested, then you are now dealing with the Windows boot manager on the original disk. This is fine as long as you keep the multi-boot, but can be a pain to deal with if you ever decide to get rid of the second boot drive/OS.

Now I'm wondering if I should use EasyBCD for this. It will be a learning experience for me but if will help out down the road it might be worth it.

..............................................................................................................................

If I intend to use easybcd would that change the way I should install the os's and the hdds?

Or do I use the procedures mentioned above and just install easybcd afterwards?

Edited by brian2009, 22 July 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

You can use EasyBCD...to fix a Win 7 install that was part of multiboot but now something has gone wrong with the boot files..

If an XP install was part of a multiboot and removal of Win 7 now causes system not to boot...the simple fix (by me) is to just run a repair install of XP.

I've not dual-booted any other versions of Windows...but I assume that EasyBCD will be one answer for dealing with any boot problems.

Louis

#10 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

I downloaded the Clean Install of Win 10 (iso dvd version). I tried burning two dvds but my optical drive failed to load either of them.

Thankfully there was a post in a forum where someone created a bootable usb from the dvd iso using Rufus because there was no way my slow internet could download the 3.5 Gb for the usb version by midnight (if that's still the deadline for free Win 10).

It wants to boot to the Win 10 HDD every time now but I'll work on that later. It doesn't offer me a choice of which OS to boot too.

At least I got my Win 8.0 "Upgraded" to a clean install of Win 10 (using my Win 8.0 Key).

Thanks for the help.

Edited by brian2009, 30 July 2016 - 12:43 AM.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

It wants to boot to the Win 10 HDD every time now but I'll work on that later. It doesn't offer me a choice of which OS to boot too.

This is why I tend to multi-boot the way that I do...i.e. install each OS on its own HD as if it was a single boot system and then just select the boot drive from the BIOS boot device selector. Means I don't have to mess with boot manager crap like what you are dealing with. :grinner:

#12 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:41 AM

Yeah.

I'll play around with the drives over the weekend, but what I found was that with both drives connected it boots to W10 every time, and it wont allow me to go into bios at bootup (to select the first boot drive). I keep hitting the Delete key but it won't go into the bios setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users