Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Upgrade Disaster/ please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dusabrive

dusabrive

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

I own a HP laptop that's running Windows 7.  While attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 , I've run into a huge problem.  The first thing I did was download the media installation tool from microsoft.  I then downloaded an ISO image to my computer and then burned it onto a dvd.    I then altered the boot sequence to read the dvd disk.
My first attempt was to perform a clean installation with the iso disk.  But only a few steps in, I wasn't permitted to install windows 10 onto the harddrive.  This was the message that came up:  

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk is of the GPT  partition style.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.   The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)  
                                                        TOTAL SIZE        FREE SPACE               TYPE
DRIVE 0        PARTITION 1        650 MB                  633MB                    RECOVERY

0                               2          260MB                  245MB                   SYSTEM

0                               3           128MB                  128MB                  MSR (RESERVED)

0                               4           437MB                 436.9MB              PRIMARY

0                               5            27.7MB              27.7MB                 OEM(RESERVED)

2) The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the reccomended order.  For additional information about installing to GPT disks, go to the  microsoft.com website and search for "GPT".  

3)  We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose.  Please check your media drive.  Here's more information about what happened.       0x8030002c

At another point, I received this message:

4)  A required  cd/dvd drive device driver is missing;   No device drivers were found.   Make sure that the media contains the correct drives and then click ok.

*******Then I tried to abort and go back to the "upgrade" rather that the clean install method.   Then I received these messages:

The computer started using the windows installation media.  Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that windows starts normally.    Then insert the installation media and restart the upgrade.  (Do not select "custom/advanced" to perform an upgrade.   Custom/advanced installs a new copy of windows and deletes your programs and settings.

*****************So upon attemting to exit,  I received this message:  "To install windows, you must run windows installation.   If you cancel the installation, your computer migjht restart..   Are you sure you want to cancel windows installation?  Yes?  No?

Lastly, I tried taking out the disk and restarting the computer;  And then reinserting the disk and choosing "upgrade".  But the computer doesn't boot properly.  It asks me to press any  key to boot  from a cd/dvd whether one is inserted or not.

Microsoft's online information doesn't help.
So now,  I can't change the boot order back to its original sequence so that I can go back to windows 7  and I can't upgrade to windows 10 or perform a clean installation to windows 10.

Can anyone please, please , please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:12 AM

Are you trying to do an upgrade or custom install?

If trying to upgrade, the way to do this is through the Windows Update function (using the annoying GWX program)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

I'm attempting to upgrade to Windows 10;  I burned an iso disk using the "creation tool" with the intention of performing a clean installation.  My biggest problem is:  "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk is of the GPT  partition style.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.   The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)" 

So I'm thinking that if I delete all partitions,  the pc will  automatically repartition the hard drive.  At that point, I suspect the installation will continue.   Do you think this assumption is true?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

Deleting the partitions is a good start, but if it doesn't work, then try this to convert the disk to GPT: 

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line
  1. Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

2. Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

3. At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

4. At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

5. At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

clear.gifImportant Running the clean command will delete all partitions or volumes on the disk.

6. At the DISKPART prompt, type convert gpt.

From this page:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725671%28v=ws.11%29.aspx

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

The problem has been resolved.  Thank you very much for your help.  Deleting the partitions worked;  Although the solution you suggested would've worked also.  I found a video tutorial that explains both methods;  It might help others who find themselves in the same situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users