Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to refresh Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 beh3

beh3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hello! My Dell Latitude Windows 10 Pro system has been intermittently experiencing extreme slowdowns and I am planning to refresh Windows in the hopes that will clean away whatever is gumming things.

I understand what "refresh" does and I am trying to prepare myself to reinstall my apps on the other side of refreshing. Please can someone describe what's involved? I don't think I've ever bought an app through the Microsoft Store, so I am expecting some manual process here.

The notable apps I want to keep are Microsoft Office 360 and Adobe Photoshop & Bridge CS5. There are probably a couple more. Then of course there are lots of free downloads like Chrome and Skype that I figure I will be easy enough to reinstall.

Closely related to this, I assume having a system image will be helpful or even essential for this process? I am trying to create a system image using Windows Backup & Restore and saving it to my 5TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive, but no luck. I keep getting error message about "unable to create folder because file is corrupt." All my drives scan fine with chkdsk however. Bottom line is I am looking for recommendations how to create and save a system image, when my one current software (Windows Backup & Restore) fails to work with my one drive big enough for the job. Sorry if that question is out of place here, I can ask it elsewhere but I thought it would be an important part of the refresh process.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:35 PM

Before you do the refresh try running this in command prompt:  sfc /scannow

SFC is System File Checker, it will scan for errors and attempt to repair them. that could fix your issue instead of refreshing.

and you may need installation media for the refresh (you shouldn't though)

Sign out

Click the power button in the bottom right hand corner.

Hold SHIFT and click restart.

once it restarts that will bring you to the refresh options menu.

Edited by Viper_Security, 19 July 2016 - 03:36 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users