Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Beeping On Start Up Solved, Now What?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ajohnson2

ajohnson2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:20 PM

Dell Optiplex 780

2.93 GHz

4GB Ram

64 bit - Windows 7

This morning I tried to power on my computer but it gave me this constant beeping sound and wouldn't let me get past the boot up screen. Searched the forums and found a solution that worked. I did a hard reset where I unplugged the power chord and held the power button down for 15 seconds then plugged chord back in and booted up normally.

My question is what do I do now? There's obviously something wrong with my computer. What are some steps to actually figuring it out exactly what it was?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by ajohnson2, 19 July 2016 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

Most machines will have the beep codes within the manual, (get your manual or download it) and find the beep codes.

could be the RAM could be something wrong in PSU or even the mobo.

Re-Seat your RAM and HDD. but if it beeps the second you turn it on, it most likely RAM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

If your computer is running normally again, I suggest just watching it for a few days. If no more problems, it could have been a glitch from a number of reasons. If it does it again, then you start a 1X1 process of testing each component until you find the problem. The first test is Viper's post, next the hard drive, power supply, reset the BIOS/CMOS back to factory defaults, replace the CMOS battery, and check the mainboard for bulging capacitors. That will get you started.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 ajohnson2

ajohnson2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:56 PM

Thanks guys. Checked the manual and doesn't give a beep code for a constant beep. There are 4 diagnostic lights that should've help me figure it out. Now only if I made note of that when there was a problem. lol.

If it happens again I will figure out what the lights mean and re-seat the problem hardware.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users