Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alyssum

Alyssum

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

I have been finding that I had to use System Restore 6 or 7 times in the past month ( due to a problem with my AV)
I hope I have it fixed now..

But I wonder How much hard drive spades does this take up every time I have to use System Restore?

and is there a way i can clean out the old system restore files to free up hard drive space safely. or would this be something that can be really iffy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Bleeping Computer's - Windows XP System Restore Guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l56.html#delete

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 13 August 2006 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

You can delete old restore points by turning off System Restore. But of course, it is good to have restore points to revert to incase of trouble with the computer, so you also need to turn System Restore back on and create a new restore point. After that, Windows will automatically create restore points from time to time.

Turn off System Restore by going to Start > right click on My Computer > Propeties > System Restore tab
  • Check Turn off System Restore
  • Click Apply
  • Click OK
  • Restart your computer
Turn on System Restore by going to Start > right click on My Computer > Propeties > System Restore tab
  • UNcheck Turn off System Restore
  • Click Apply
  • Click OK
Create a restore point.

To create a restore point go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
  • Select Create a restore point
  • Click Next
  • Type a description for your new restore point.
  • Click Create

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

hello,

Just go to disk clean-up>more options>system restore clean-up.... it will delete all the restore points except for the latest ....

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#5 Alyssum

Alyssum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Sempai, never knew that option was there under disk clean up ( knew about the disk clean up) but never clicked on the other tab..

Thanks all

Edited by Alyssum, 13 August 2006 - 01:31 PM.

#6 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

You are welcome..... :thumbsup:

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#7 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Hi ... Another thing about system restore , It only goes so far back , I believe its 3 months and you can set the size as to how much space you want to use from your hard drive

http://bertk.mvps.org/

#8 Alyssum

Alyssum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

I found my trouble- it was not trend IS 06 but AdawareSE messing up my router after I ran a scan.

I removed Trend IS 06 and installed AGV, and Zone alarm, when I thought it was Trend..

now after un-installing AGV and Zone alarm and reinstalling Trend IS 06
FireFox is now loading pages like I have dial up ( DSL)

I have a feeling at this point my only option will be is to reformat the C drive...
I have to wonder if Zone Alarm didn't have a part to play in my slow down.
and can this be fixed after so many system restores ( I think I am up to 10-15 now)

I almost hate to reformat now, just such a pain.. a long time ago back in the 95 day's I loved to reformat..

can I be saved or is it lost..

guess I will start backing up just to be safe.
ARG! I hate a computer that doesn't want run smooth as silk.

#9 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

i usually find myself to be sloppy with this feature. i would notice mine would go back for several months, and that takes up a lot of space if your system restore settings are set like mine. 12% to like 30% i think. i usually delete everything up to the current month to save space and then i make one Manual system restore, just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users