Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

hello everyone,

I bought a notebook a year ago w/ pre installed XP Home, the package does not include the XP Home CD, only the product key attached at the bottom of my notebook, then 2 weeks ago i encountered some problems with my notebook so i decided to bring it to a local computer repair shop for reformat and re installation of XP... out of my knowledge XP pro was installed and too late for me to realized that im running w/ non genuine windows.....

...ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET OR DOWNLOAD XP HOME? COZ I CANT LIVE USING A NON GENUINE WINDOWS....

IF I REGISTER XP HOME AGAIN USING THE SAME PRODUCT KEY ON THE SAME NOTEBOOK BUT DIFFERENT REGISTRATION NAME, WILL IT REMAIN GENUINE? PLS HELP... YOUR RESPONSE WILL BE VEY MUCH APPRECIATED.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

Well, let me take a stab at this.

First off, if the computer repair shop installed Pro I would have reinstall Home. If they charged you for Pro and gave you an illegal copy, then I would get my money back and have them reinstall Home instead. If they refuse, report them to Microsoft and their formadable legal department will take care of them.

If you have a disk, or can get a disk, that is exactly the same as the original version for your computer then it should install properly and using the product key on the bottom of the computer it should activate just fine.

To find a disk the same as what you originally had? It depends what brand and model computer this is. For instance, DELL computers will use a DELL disk. Lots of computers can be reloaded using any OEM version of Windows, but you must use your product key found on the tag on your computer in order to be 'legal'.

As a rule, it is not the disk that is unique, but rather the product key found on the sticker. The product key is what is being paid for when Windows is purchased. But some manufacturers tatoo their motherboards so only THEIR disks will reinstall Windows. That is why I say it depends on the make and model of your computer. DELL and HP do this, for instance.

Where did you buy this computer? Was it new, or just new to you perhaps bought on ebay? Sometimes the license for Windows is not transferrable, in other words, only good for the original owner and not transferrable, meaning if this is true in your case you may not get much help from Microsoft with this issue and I would only speak to them about this as a last resort.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

yes it was brand new and fresh from the box when i bought it on a computer store and im sure that the product key was only being used on my notebook, and i dont think LG make a tatoo on their mother board, thats why im looking for an xp home so that i can reinstall it back using the same product key attach at the bottom... by the way the shop doesnt charge me w/ pro....... and they are considerate by giving my money back.

Edited by sempai, 13 August 2006 - 11:45 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

If you can borrow a OEM copy of Windows XP, you could probably use it to install XP Home on your computer using your product key. It probably will work for you.

Can you get recovery disks from the manufacturer?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Could you get the shop to properly install the OEM HOME version? That would save you the trouble of finding an OEM XP Home version disk and is what they were supposed to do in the first place.

Good luck either way,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

hi albert,

when i bought my notebook the original OS was korean (coz i bought it in korea were i work that time) i just ask the store to install an english OS using the same product key, The problem is im alrady back on my country thats why i cant go back to the manufacturer.... and the model i bought was not available on my country.

hi orange,

the shop doesnt have XP Home (according to them) thats why they use pro, and i dont want to bring my notebook to any shop available that i dont trust because im sure they will steal my product key. thats why as much as possible i want to install xp by myself.

My last option is to buy a pirated cd (which i dont want to do) and use it using my product key... :thumbsup:

tnx,
sempai

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

Would using an English version create problems with a key that was purchased with a Korean version?

Do you have any Korean friends with a Korean OEM XP Home to avoid the potential language issue?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

No i dont think changing to english version creates problem coz it was a genuine windows that time and i can install updates from microsoft....

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#9 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

hey i just found what i need (my friends friend do have it) my only question is that.... if i reinstall XP Home back and register it, DO I NEED TO USE THE SAME REGISTRATION NAME AND ORGANIZATION IN ORDER TO BE GENUINE? im asking this because i cant remember what name and organization the manufacturer used during the previous registration. IF I USE DIFFERENT NAME AND ORGANIZATION... WILL IT STILL BE GENUINE?

tnx :thumbsup:

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

Here this will fix the problem not only with the shop that did the illegal OS but it will also help you possibly get another legal copy of the Windows XP software you need.

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...7-25WGA1PR.mspx

#11 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

Here this will fix the problem not only with the shop that did the illegal OS but it will also help you possibly get another legal copy of the Windows XP software you need.

yes tnx... but... my only problem is that i dont have the software, i already have the product key w/c is very much legal........ tnx anyway....

Edited by sempai, 13 August 2006 - 09:32 PM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#12 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

anyone????

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#13 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

if i reinstall XP Home back and register it, DO I NEED TO USE THE SAME REGISTRATION NAME AND ORGANIZATION IN ORDER TO BE GENUINE? im asking this because i cant remember what name and organization the manufacturer used during the previous registration. IF I USE DIFFERENT NAME AND ORGANIZATION... WILL IT STILL BE GENUINE?

anyone?????

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

The supposed non-legal software is what the shop put on your computer - that is the software in question even though you don't have a disk, and it is this software that you need to report as receiving unknowingly. You'll also want to tell them that the shop supposedly doesn't have the Home version - legal or otherwise.

Contact the Microsoft folks as ThorXP suggested and tell them about the shop that improperly put in the XP Pro when what you had was an OEM Home AND that you weren't provided with backup disks of the original installation. You'll need to tell them where you got it, and they might want your computer's serial number and the license key. The very fact that you have a legit. key and your comp.'s serial # is in your favor. I know that Microsoft wants to stop the piracy shops.

Another option: Can you possibly contact the original seller and ask them to provide you with backup disks? I'm surprised they weren't provided originally.

Orange Blossom

#15 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

if i reinstall XP Home back and register it, DO I NEED TO USE THE SAME REGISTRATION NAME AND ORGANIZATION IN ORDER TO BE GENUINE? im asking this because i cant remember what name and organization the manufacturer used during the previous registration. IF I USE DIFFERENT NAME AND ORGANIZATION... WILL IT STILL BE GENUINE?

anyone?????

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users