Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar and Notification Area

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Georgedn

Georgedn

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 successfully.  My only issue is the taskbar and notification area disappear every minute or so and  reappear in a couple of seconds.  The annoying part is that if I have a file explorer window open or the "add new e-mail account" window open they will close.  This makes it very difficult to look for a file and impossible to add a new Windows 10 Mail account.  I have a Dell N5110 laptop with AVG Internet Security.  Can anyone please help me???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

Many times add-on Internet Security programs can mess things up.  First I would uninstall AVG.  Then restart to see if you still have the problem.

#3 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

Well, I uninstalled AVG, restarted the computer and condition still occurs.  I reinstalled AVG, restarted the computer and condition still occurs. 

However, just as I was about to look for something in Firefox the error message shown in the attachment appeared.  I've seen it before in the past week but could never get a screen shot until now.  As soon as it appeared the taskbar and notification area disappeared again.  I do not know if the error message has anything to do with the taskbar problem or if it is coincidental.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:46 AM

Wait until it happens again, then recover and generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

Attached is the zip file.

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

The errors point to IDTNC64.cpl

The IDTNC64.cpl is a component of IDT audio so try uninstalling the IDT audio driver and then reinstall the IDT audio driver using the latest W10 compatible version available.

There's other errors, but lets see how things work after fixing the IDT audio driver

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

I am having difficulty finding the IDT audio in device manager. No entries in device manager say "IDT..."

Attached Files

#8 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

I decided to perform a repair install from the DVD.  It appeared to work fine but shortly after I got into Windows the same taskbar/notification area issue re-occurred. 

What next?

#9 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

After some digging I found a post in another forum describing my exact problem.  The IDT audio driver is found in add/remove programs.  This is a link to the forum I found: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f90kz/windowsexe_keeps_crashing_every_second/

I uninstalled the IDT Audio entry in add/remove programs and restarted the computer so Windows can find an audio driver.  So far the problem seems to have been resolved.

Edited by Georgedn, 22 July 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:06 AM

Glad to hear it.

Thanks for letting us know!

#11 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

In a previous reply you mentioned that there were other errors?

I used to live in SE CT.  In Groton.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:53 AM

If you're still having problems now, re-generate the report and we'll see what errors are still there.

The errors are really just clues - for use if you're having problems.  A lot of them won't even bother you.

I'm retired military, so I spend a lot of time in Groton.

My wife's business is just up Rt 12 in Gales Ferry.

I live in Montville (just north of New London) - on the other side of the Thames River from Groton.

#13 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Nothing appears to be acting hinky but I'm attaching a new report anyway.  If you see something that looks like it should/could be fixed lets do it.  But if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I retired from Electric Boat 11 years ago.  Worked in Groton from 1978 until 1987.  Moved to upstate NY in 1987 to work on a special project and retired here.  I still have family working in the shipyard.

Attached Files

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

My son just got a job there (he's still in his probationary period).  He loves it!

FYI - Windows reports usually contain errors/warnings.  But it depends on what sort of problems that you're having in order for us to decide if they're probably significant (or not).

Here's a couple of things that I noted:

You can search your registry for these strings:

{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

Try to figure out what programs they belong to.

There's a lot of DCOM errors pointing to them

Once you figure out what program, try uninstalling it and then download/install a fresh, compatible version.

Several Bonjour errors.

Please uninstall it from Control Panel...Programs and Features

If needed, Apple Software Update will prompt you to reinstall it (and it'll probably prompt you to reinstall it even if it's not needed :0(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users