Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are we at the point where we need a sub forum of each main distro of Linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

As I browse through the Linux forum, I noted that there are a wide variety of topics, specific to individual distros of Linux.

Are we at the point where we need a sub forum of each main distro of Linux?  That is, one of Debian based, one for Red Hat, Slackware, &c.

Leave the main forum for generic questions and discussion?

Sorry, Mods, if I have opened a can of worms, creating more work for you!

Cheers!

Naught

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lipper

Lipper

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

I don't see a need for that, yet. The daily posts are still few enough that I tend to read them all anyway.

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:32 AM

. . . posts are still few enough . . . to read them all . . . 

Agreed,

But what I am looking at are the number of older posts that have fixes and help for individuals.

If you can narrow your search to a specific sub forum that deals with your distro, then you can find a solution to you problem quicker, without resorting to a new topic.

Tuppence,

Naught.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:10 PM

This was suggested about six months ago or so and the view of the Admins and Globals was it had not yet reached that stage. But situations can always be reviewed.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

. . . suggested about six months ago . . . not yet reached that stage . . .  always be reviewed.

One day, we will be just like Bill, and have eight sub forums of our own!  :clapping:

Cheers!

Naught

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

As I browse through the Linux forum, I noted that there are a wide variety of topics, specific to individual distros of Linux.

I am not in favor of this, plus we mainly deal with Buntu based distros.

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:45 PM

Are we at the point where we need a sub forum of each main distro of Linux?  
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620374/are-we-at-the-point-where-we-need-a-sub-forum-of-each-main-distro-of-linux/#entry4044328

I think the Linux & Unix category is at a point where it could justify having subcategories of some kind, but I wouldn't say it needs to. There aren't that many users in the Linux & Unix section. Nore is there a mass of daily posts.

That is, one of Debian based, one for Red Hat, Slackware, &c.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620374/are-we-at-the-point-where-we-need-a-sub-forum-of-each-main-distro-of-linux/#entry4044328

Most forums go with an OS specific approach, not an origin approach. I'm neutral on the matter, as I see the merits of both approaches.

Some users may not know the origin parent of the distro they are using, and therefore post in Linux & Unix, rather than the appropriate subcategory. This could perhaps be solved to some degree by listing common derivatives in the category description. As for the posts that still end up in Linux & Unix, I'd say leave them there. It's not the end of the world, and that way it doesn't make a ton of work for moderators.

What happens when a specific derivative starts to take over a category (eg: If our Debian section became mostly about Ubuntu)? Will we solve this with distro specific subcategories within? If so, will this be applied recursively (eg: If the Ubuntu section within the Debian section became mostly about Linux Mint), or just stop there? If applied recursively, there could be a problem with posts for OSNAME in an upper category despite there being a category for OSNAME further down, because users may not know it's there. I'm not sure how this could be reduced.

How will subcategories affect the tutorials category?

Leave the main forum for generic questions and discussion?

I would say generic posts, and posts that don't fit into a subcategory. I also think that posts which fit into multiple subcategories should be welcome in the main if the OP wants it there.

If an origin parent approach were implemented (as suggested) then I think only Debian would presently be able to justify a category, as most posts seem to be about Linux Mint family members, and Ubuntu family members. Alternatively, if an OS specific approach were implemented I think only Linux Mint would presently be able to justify a category. Regardless of approach, I would be okay with having subcategories so long as creation of each subcategory is justifiable.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

I would be okay with having subcategories so long as creation of each subcategory is justifiable.

In the last 12 months I cant remember more that a dozen non Buntu based questions in the Linux forum. Excluding Puppy Linux, If and when its needed it will be added.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

I would be okay with having subcategories so long as creation of each subcategory is justifiable.

In the last 12 months I cant remember more that a dozen non Buntu based questions in the Linux forum. Excluding Puppy Linux, If and when its needed it will be added.

^^ +1!!

But then we need to remember that even present-day Puppy is primarily based upon one of two main distros; Ubuntu (Debian, of course) and Slackware.

There aren't that many folks still running the original, 'independent' Pups (2-, 3- and 4 series.)

Personally, I think the setup is fine as it is. As has been stated, there's not exactly a glut of posts in our section of the Forums.

Mike.   :wink: 

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 19 July 2016 - 06:08 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

As far as separate Support categories, I agree that at this point it's probably not necessary.  The only one I could see down the line would be for Puppy.

But, perhaps one Discussion subcategory (similar to the one for Windows 10) for topics such as the following would be something to...uh...discuss...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612114/share-something-you-learned-today/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614472/the-revised-beginners-friendly-linux-list-2016-version/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618690/mint-18-cinnamonmate-first-impressions/

...and so on.

The reason I suggest that is because it might be a way to keep the support threads on topic.

Edited by 66Batmobile, 19 July 2016 - 08:55 PM.

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,881 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:54 AM

The only one I could see down the line would be for Puppy.

Newer members may not be aware, what is now the Tutorials sub-forum used to be a "Live Linux" sub-forum which used to mostly deal with Puppy, but was amalgamated into the main Linux forum because it was hardly ever used.

Another reason against changing the names of forums is that it breaks search engine indexed links.

Personally I think the Linux forum and Tutorials sub-forum are fine as they are.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

While a good suggestion in theory the reality is that it will not work.

The main reason is because no matter what distro the topic is about, there will be mentions of other distro's-which is what happens in many distro specific topics-and the discussion will include posts about those others.

Linux topics have a way of going off-topic despite efforts to keep them on-topic.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 July 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

While a good suggestion in theory the reality is that it will not work.

The main reason is because no matter what distro the topic is about, there will be mentions of other distro's-which is what happens in many distro specific topics-and the discussion will include posts about those others.

Linux topics have a way of going off-topic despite efforts to keep them on-topic.

I agree.

Even if one starts out as a particular distro, others are always mentioned. Which is kind of how Linux works. You can typically take instructions from one distro, tweak and run it on another. Even if they are completely different (Debian to RedHat for example). 

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#14 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

:bowdown:   The Great Mods have spoken!    :o

(I will now pack my bag and head for Coventry!)    :grinner:

Cheers!

Naught

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:16 AM

Don't start packing yet, Great White Northern One.

I find this topic cerebrally fascinating, and I am reminded of a "few observations" espoused by friend Brian (Condobloke) here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617261/just-a-few-interesting-observations/

If you would consider having the mods move this Topic over to General (where Brian's ended up), and "viewers" subscribed to it, even if not actively inputting, I reckon the Wiz could wiz up a few more observations??

Only caveat I would ask if you adopt this idea is to modify the name of the Topic to Families cf Distros - Debian-based, RPM-based, Gentoo, Arch, Slackware etc - these are all families rather than individual Distros.

Consider favourably, I hope .. and enjoy Linux ... I do :thumbup2:

Wizard :wizardball:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users