Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Paint program like XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

Hi ..

I need to do some drawings like very basic square plans (house type), but only basic

Anybody know a Paint / drawing program like the basic XP Paint program was. I know there are some out there, but I want a Free basic program..

The old options like -- hold Shift down to run a straight line -- and a few others do not exist in Windows 8.1 paint..

Thanks for any ideas.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

Not sure about the features you are asking... try http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for that one,

I do know it is a bit hard to describe at the moment, but my older drawings were done with XP and it may just be that I am not giving 8.1 enough of a try.

I may need to play with it for a day, and see if it has what I need... and if your option is any better for me.

Since the programs had slight changes "for the better", there are bits that we still need to adapt to.

Thank you, and I will try your link :thumbup2: .

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#4 BlackCard

BlackCard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

You might wanna give GIMP and InkScape a try.

Edited by BlackCard, 23 July 2016 - 07:51 PM.

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

Hi -

Not sure of how many people used Paint in XP, but it had a few "traits" that were never passed over to here.

To draw a horizontal , vertical, or 45degree line you just needed to hold the Shift key down. I tried a few others but this action is not there (that I can find yet).

There may be no other similar action in later versions like Win8.1, but that was one of the main things I was looking for.

I draw "square houses" and decks and similar things, so that action was always an advantage.. Now all of my XP units are gone, I just wanted to see if this option was still available as standard (it is not in basic Win 8.1). Thanks for your ideas, but I may just need to use the current version "as is".  :)

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

Worth a Look  ..??        HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

and as unlikely as it may seem at first glance.......HERE

and...HERE TOO

Edited by Condobloke, 23 July 2016 - 11:05 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:01 AM

Thanks Condo ..

Your first one has the "basic" extras that I was looking for, and is very close to XP (as I wanted). There is nothing wrong with all of the others put up, but this seems to match what I wanted.

BlackCard and SleepyDude listed  some of the better current programs, but I was interested in "Retro" type programs, like paint.net offers.

Thank you all for your input.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

Cool  !....I am into 'retro' a bit myself.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

Thanks Jaycan for the comments and to Condobloke for the useful suggestions.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users