Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old laptop not even booting from CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bobblehob

Bobblehob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:51 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and this is obviously my first post! I have reasonable IT literacy but have no idea of the more complex aspects like coding etc.

I've searched for a similar problem to mine via Google and in this forum. I've found some nearly similar things but nothing that properly matches the problem I'm having. So either it's unusual or I'm useless at searches!

I have an 11 year-old Acer Aspire 1641wlmi. It had Windows XP when new and then about three years ago I wiped the HDD and changed the OS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It's worked lovely since then up until a few weeks ago when it froze on me. I attempted a reboot and it wouldn't go to the Ubuntu login screen. Eventually it just decided it couldn't see a boot record.

I changed the CD to the first boot device in the BIOS and booted with the Ubuntu CD. Attempted re-installation of the OS but it failed the first time. Tried again and it got through it but still wouldn't boot from the HDD when I took the CD out (and reset the boot order in the BIOS)

I decided the HDD must have gone to HDD heaven. Tried an older HDD that I'd taken out of the laptop years ago as part of an upgrade to higher capacity. At the time there had been nothing wrong with it - just the capacity wasn't enough. I got the same result as with the other HDD. Again decided this, being an old drive that had sat in a drawer for 5+ years, had probably died too.

Next thing I tried was buying an IDE to SD adapter and a class 10 SD card to use as a HDD. Installation to this disc went smoothly but again I couldn't boot from it. I got the following screen message:

Intel UNDI.  PXE-2.0 (build 082)

Copyright © 1997-200- Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Operating System not found

After getting this I tried to boot from the CD again and got the same message. I tried several times from the CD and double checked to make sure the CD was the first device listed in the boot order. Still the same message. From what I could gather from my Google searches this message relates to the computer not finding a boot record on any drive so it's last resort is to look for a network boot...?

So my question really is: should I assume multiple hardware failure, give up now with good grace and thank the laptop for 11 years of good service or do I keep fighting on with advice from those wiser than me on here?

Thanks for any help/advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

Possible various issues , { PXE Fault = HardDrive } or its the Cdrom , Ubuntu Disk , Hardware ?

1/ You could Download a "Live Disk" of Puppy / Cinnamin / or Knoppix and burn the ISO to a disc and boot from that , no hardrive is needed.

If that works ok then you have no issues with the Hardware side of the laptop.

Then it would be your original Installation disc or the Drives.

Replace either of them to solve the problem.

Im not a 100% Linux user , but i do have a Live Knoppix Cd  for Repair functions , and run Mint Cinnamon on an older System.

#3 Bobblehob

Bobblehob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:20 AM

Thanks Havachat – I’ll give this a go. As soon as I’ve got a result I’ll post back here……….I promise! Might take me a couple of days as I only get limited time to play with this machine (SWMBO drives me hard  :wink:  )

Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

Is the SD card detected in BIOS as a hard drive? Does the computer support booting form a USB flash drive. You can use the Puppy iso with Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Perhaps your optical drive is failing if the SD card is detected by BIOS.

A PXE error indicates no bootable device was found and then tries to boot from the network.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#5 Bobblehob

Bobblehob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

Thanks everyone - I had a bit of trouble getting the Puppy iso downloaded but have finally succeeded and written to a DVD. Sadly I got the same result as before when I tried booting from it.

JohnC_21 - the BIOS detected the adaptor for the SD card but I don't recall it displaying any details of the card itself. I'll try it again as soon as I can find it (I have a 2-year old who's good at getting his hands on this sort of thing and putting it god knows where!)

Unfortunately the computer doesn't support booting from a USB flash drive.

I think the signs might be pointing to optical drive failure at the very least, although it sounds like it always has. I think I might just have to accept that eventually hardware does give up. I've had 11 years faultless service from it so can't really complain.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions - much appreciated.

#6 Bobblehob

Bobblehob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hi All - Update....

My late father had a laptop almost exactly the same as mine so I found it and it still works. I took the HDD out of it and tried it in mine. I'd forgotten the Puppy disc was still in the machine but hey presto it booted from the cd where previously it had refused! I took the cd out and tried booting from the HDD out of Dad's laptop and it booted perfectly.

Toddler notwithstanding I finally found my IDE-SD adapter and 128Gb class 10 sd card so stuck that back in and booted from the Puppy cd again.....and partitioned/installed Puppy to the SD card.

I now have a fully working Puppy Linux laptop with a 128Gb SD 'HDD'  Thank you thank you thank you everyone! I am over the moon that I've got this machine working again!! Couldn't have done it without this forum so have donated towards legal case.

For my next trick I need to see if I can get my Kingston Datatraveler Vault Privacy encrypted USB drive to work in Puppy. Kingston support have expressed doubt that it can be done (they have only tested with Ubuntu) but I'll have a lot of fun finding out  :bounce:

Thanks again everyone!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

FWIW:  The PXE error message combined with the error message re the network connection...typically is an indicator that the CMOS battery is dying (needs to be replaced) and BIOS settings will not necessarily be properly retained.  Typically, when the battery is dying...the system automatically reverts back to its original install method via network.

I would replace the CMOS battery...enter the BIOS and adjust date/time, boot options...save the changes...and see if problems continue.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users