Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL vs cable - which is better for home use?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph2

Joseph2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:10 AM

Hi,

I moved out to a new place. First thing in the agenda is to get a good internet connection. I always had the confusion between DSL and cable intenret. I checked with a service provider's site, and the comparison shows that DSL is cheaper on the other hand cable service can offer higher speed at higher price. I require internet mostly for social media access and chat, maybe some you tube streaming. So, I'd like to know connection-wise which one is reliable and and best suitable for home use? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:30 AM

For those with true-blue old fashioned land-lines, DSL is the only way to go [once your land-line and/or your DSL is gone, it is gone for you forever].  Otherwise, your choices will be either AT&T U-Verse, Spectrum/Time Warner Cable, or any locally-offered services, similar to the aforementioned two.  Which is better?  Many have indicated that when the services are working and not temporarily offline, U-Verse and Spectrum/TWC provide great internet speed for MONIES.  Neither land-line or DSL will ever match the speeds of the higher priced [after the honeymoon period is over] services.  

Edited by RolandJS, 19 July 2016 - 04:32 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

What cable company/companies serve Toronto?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

Rogers, Bell and TekSavvy seem to be the major 3, but there are a ton of local DSL providers too.

The most obvious difference between DSL and Cable is the type of wire used to connect to the ISP. DSL uses phone(RJ11) while Cable uses coaxial(RG6). Another difference is how different modems connect to the ISP through the different systems. With DSL you are connecting to your rate center, so it's all about how close you are to that geographically, closer=better. With cable, the connection is shared, so it's more about how many modems are connecting to the node that you are. The fewer the better or more consistent your speed will be. IMO cable makes up for this since coaxial has a much higher hypothetical throughput then RJ11. With more space, there is more to share. DSL has done a lot to squeeze more data through the thinner wire, but IMO they have reached their cap.

Edited by Trikein, 19 July 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#5 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

The reliability thing is hard to really gauge, sometimes you can end up in a problematic area for DSL or vice-versa coaxial cable. Most of the time, either or will perform just fine. Actual DSL - not fiber with DSL - does have a risk of outages that is a little higher than thicker coaxial cable circuits, but again, this could prove to be contrary or at least untrue. I have had a DSL line with years of great uptime and no outages that took more than a few hours to fix.

If the savings are important, considering your light usage needs, ask the provider if he can confirm good quality of service on DSL for your area.

You have to keep in mind that these cheaper providers will require you to purchase a modem (which is much better than renting one in the long run) so changing from one to the other can be costly if it's done months later and modem was purchased already.

Installation costs can often be waived on promotional offers, but you'd be lucky to get it a second time around as well. So best to make the right choice for you first time around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users