Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting Wma To Aac

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 disneycast

disneycast

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

I imported all of my music using wmp 11 beta and imported it at a mathematically lossless bit rate. They sound as though the cd is still inside. Almost perfect sound quality. Then i had to sync it to my ipod. When i converted it, did i just temporarily convert it so that i could sync it or did i permanently convert it and lost sound quality?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

iTunes has both a lossy and lossless audio codec. It used to have only a lossy, but Apple added a lossless codec sometime in 2004. Now it depends on which it was converted to. If it was converted to the lossy then you lost audio quality and cannot get it back, but the lossless should be the same quality as your original lossless encoding. To add: not all iPods support the lossless codec. You should be able to determine which it is from the file-size, a lossless should be about the same size as your original lossless.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 computerhead

computerhead

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

I got the Ipod Touch for Christmas. I want to download an audio book from the library but they do it in *.wma format and say that my Ipod is not supported which takes *.aac files. They say this is to allow them to automatically "time out" the checkout in 2 weeks unless you renew.
Like a book that I've checked out and read, I have no desire to keep it after I've heard it, but I DO want to hear it.
What programs or techniques can I use to convert it into a file my Ipod can read so that I can get access to these free books?

#4 computerhead

computerhead

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

I tried this one: http://www.download.com/Free-Mp3-Wma-Conve...4-10442362.html
and it didn't work. It came up told me that my file was DRM protected. So I need something that can convert through that too. Ideas?

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:46 AM

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is just that -- a way for the copyright owner to enforce rights to intellectual property. This is going to be a sticking point. There is no legal way to remove the DRM from the file, that I can think of.

You might check to see if the library can provide a compatible player -- my library offers a player to patrons who don't have one of their own.

Good luck.

Edited by Capn Easy, 14 January 2009 - 02:47 AM.

#6 computerhead

computerhead

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

The library I want to use is Houston's which is 3 hours away from me, so there is no way I can borrow a player. I got the IPod for Christmas and so far it's totally worthless to me. I don't have wireless (yeah, I could buy a router, but what's the point really when I already have a desktop and laptop handy), I've already got many ways to listen to music, and now I can't download audiobooks to it because someone thinks it's not appropriate. What a waste of almost 300 bucks.

I'm still looking for a way though; I mean, there just has to be a way to listen to an audiobook I can check out for free and convert it so that somehow I can listen to it on my IPod Touch. If not, I've got one for sale; hardly used!

So, any more ideas on how to get this done? I don't want to break any laws, but dad-gome! Why do they make this so complicated to use? It's a library checking out stuff for free for goodness sake.

Edited by computerhead, 15 January 2009 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users