Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Keep Connecting and Disconnecting My Connected USB Devices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

I have been having this problem regarding the usage of my USB ports.  I have noticed that when I connect usb devices, such as my phone, the devices will connect, disconnect, or not be recognize at all.  Today it would connect and disconnect with my phone continuously.  The only thing that is not affected is my usb wireless mouse.  What could be the problem?  I think that it has something to do with my upgrade to Windows 10.  Please let me know what could be the problem in order to resolve this issue.  Thank you.

Miroku16

Computer info:

Laptop: Gigabyte P37-K

Operating system- Windows 10 64-bit x64 based (formerly upgraded from 8.1) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

Open Device Manager.

Scroll down to the USB section.  Double-click to see detailed items.

Uninstall any listed item which has "enhanced" as part of the description.  Should be two of them.

Reboot the system, check to see if USB devices are normal now.

Louis

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

I am unable to see any of the items listed as "enhanced."  Is there something else that I can do?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

System has 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports.

AFAIK, the controllers for such would appear as "enhanced" in Device Manager.  Wrong on my part, seems to be different for Win 10 and other versions of Windows.

Can you take a screenshot of the detail reflected on your system under "USB Controllers" and post same ?

A Thousand Words, Screenshots - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515817/ram-showing-less-than-installed/?p=3222150

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#5 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

Here is the screenshot of what I see in the USB section.

Attached Files

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

The two marked "EHCI" should be your USB 2.0 controllers, with the 3.0 driver directly underneath.

Per Wiki:  "The xHCI is a radical break from the previous generations of USB host controller interface architectures (i.e. the Open Host Controller Interface (OHCI), the Universal Host Controller Interface (UHCI), and the Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI)) on many counts."

I don't know if your 3.0 driver is giving you problems...but I would definitely uninstall the 2 EHCI controllers and reboot.

Louis

#7 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

I uninstalled those two items and rebooted. I was able to get the 2nd usb on the left side of my computer to work with no problem (the 1st one on the left I use for my usb mouse). On the right side, the usbs would connect and disconnect as before. I had the most trouble with the 3.0 slot. However, after I kept trying, I was able to get those on the right to work good too. I think I only had one disconnect in the 3.0 usb. But overall, they appeared to be operating okay. Only time will tell if it is consistent. Is there anything else that I need to do?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

Not that I know of :).

IME...any USB problem is typically the controller drivers are probably damaged and therefore misbehave.  I suppose that USB ports still can go bad but it's been years since I encountered that and replaced the onboard with a USB card.

Someone else here may have some sage words, but not me :).

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users