Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Western Digital Passport Ultra experience; what's been yours?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

I tried using a WD Passport Ultra ext usb HD for backup/restore purposes, not for simply copyNpaste of data folder/files.

WDPU HD has onboard/circuit board encryption that intercepts everything coming and going.

There is the matter of THE KEY, The Key being the software that must reside on the computer somewhere and which springs into action, whether or not there is a password [and if password set up - whether user-entered or auto-passed-through], whenever the WDPU is "sniffed" detected by the computer during boot/startup or later.

If anything happens to THE KEY [no matter if "logical error," if software clash, if the Cods no longer swim with you], you are toast, you will not be able to "enter" the HD. I think WDPU calls what I call "The Key" Smartware or something like that.  And, The Key better reside and function on any usb or dvd boot process if trying to access WDPU from any kind of external-to-Windows boot

I tried to bypass both The Key software and the onboard encryption by a thorough NTFS format of my WDPU.  I failed, the device never successfully read back my data folders and files.

I returned my WDPU hd to my local computer store.

The product is a very good product!  For sure, it is great for saving data folders and files from home to school, from home to office, from home to print shops, and so on!

The above was my experience; what has been your experience?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

I'm also using a brand new  "WD My Passport Ultra - 2,5" ext HDD USB 3.0" for backups.

i never had any problems with WD drives  in the past 15 years. As far as i know: since few years

WD is using hardware encryption in every external USB drive.  So if you have to replace the drive

electonics (defects) then you won't be able to read your saved data anymore...

i think thats an disadvantage......

At this time i'm running " WD elements 3,5'' ", " WD my book WD 3,5'' ", "my passport ultra 2,5'' " and another 4 internal 2,5'' WD drives.

I'm frequently checking SMART values of all drives: everything is fine since years. My older WD drives (i don't use them anymore,

they are maybe 8-10 years old) have still very good SMART values....  So i think the hardware encryption is the only disadvantage of WD drives.... in my opinion.....

LASERzzzzzz ................live from EUROPE/GERMANY..........................

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 19 July 2016 - 09:27 AM.

....i dont like CHAOS but CHAOS likes me! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!!

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

"...i think the hardware encryption is the only disadvantage of WD drives..."

I agree when it concerns restoring backups;  there's no minus when it concerns saving and safeguarding data folders & files as long as The Key works.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

This why I believe the best option is to purchase a bare drive and put it in and enclosure or get a portable that does not encrypt your data and can be pulled out of the enclosure if the bridge card goes bad. If you want to encrypt the data then use Veracyrpt and a container file on the external. The WD passport portables have the micro USB port soldered to the PCB. The USB bridge card is integrated with the drive's PCB. If that goes bad you are out of luck as you cannot pull the drive and put in in an enclosure or attach it to a USB adapter.

I have one WD drive that I disabled the software on. Long ago you could delete it until it was put in firmware. I believe WD has some software that lets you disable Smartware.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

For what it is worth I wasn't even aware of the encryption difficulty. I bought a 2TB WD Passport Ultra about 18 months ago, another 2TB Seagate 'Expansion portable drive' towards the end of last year and a 1TB WD Passport in the early Spring of this year.

With all three I copied the software installed on them to safekeeping on an internal hard drive and then deleted it off the drives as I wanted all three just for storage. I have had no encryption problems with any of the three. It may be that the WD drive pre-dates their placing this software in firm-ware.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users