Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What actually causes wuauserv high CPU use updating Windows

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

- @Imacri: I highly doubt it that it's the fault of "Wuaueng.dll" and "Win32k.sys" ONLY. Because reading the articles of "Woody  " at www.infowolrd.com gives me the distinct impression that it's a combination of - at least - one more thing that's "buried deep" in the Windows OS.

Hi Willy22:

I don't recall saying that the Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll) and the Windows kernel-mode driver (win32k.sys) were the ONLY cause of the slow Windows Updates. Did you read Dalai's background information at http://wu.krelay.de/en/info.htm about the Windows Update Agent, the update catalog wsusscn2.cab and supersedence chains or follow the other links I provided in post # 16 to some of Woody Leonhard's articles?  Dalai notes at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ that his workaround to pre-install the kernel-mode driver updates each month "only tries to make sure that the Update Agent doesn't need to check all updates" in the supersedence chains, but that doesn't mean that win32k.sys is the cause of the slow Windows updates.

I do still believe, however, that an update to Vista's Windows Update Agent (WUA) v7.6.7600.256 (last updated June 2012) could help speed up the slow Windows Updates, especially on systems with slow CPUs and limited amounts of RAM, even if it doesn't completely eliminate the problem.

Woody Leonhard is recommending that Win 7 SP1 users affected by these slow Windows Updates now follow the instructions in Canadian Tech's thread Windows 7 Update Solution in the MS Answers forum - see Woody's comment's in his 04-Sep-2016 AskWoody.com post MS-DEFCON 3: Get Windows patched, gingerly.  The optional KB3172605 update (July 2016 monthly update rollup for Win 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2) recommended in Canadian Tech’s thread is a bundle of six separate non-security hotfixes, including KB3161647 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2) that updates the Win 7 Windows Update Agent to v7.6.7601.23453 and includes "An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates" and a fix for "Windows Update error 0x8007000E".   Unfortunately, Microsoft has not released an analogous patch for the Vista WUA.

Win 7 SP1 users who want to try Canadian Tech's solution to install the July 2016 monthly rollup KB3172605 should be aware that some users have had issues with Bluetooth connectivity following the installation of this update, which is a known issue for the KB3133977 bundled inside this rollup.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 08 September 2016 - 08:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

After installing KB3177725 on Sept 3rd, instigating a manual search for updates found and installed 13 more updates, and "wuauserv" has since behaved it's self!

I still have Updates set to "Never" and since Tuesday, I have been checking Dalai's webpage for the next download but so far there has been no change to the August revision.

When do the new links normally appear and should I maintain Updates set to "Never"?

Thanks.

EDIT:

As usual, when you ask a question, the need to ask disappears!

Dalai seems to have updated with the September download link in the last few minutes. :thumbup2:

Edited by six-h, 16 September 2016 - 08:37 AM.

#33 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hmm, ...just installed the September update from Dalai's site and now when I try to access Windows Update, Explorer stops responding!

I can't see if it installed or not, nor can I access Windows Updates to search for more! :scratchhead:

Had to "End Task" on Explorer and add it back as a new task KB3185911 has installed and now all seems to be functioning again, just waiting now for updates to "do it's stuff", ...hopefully soon!

Edited by six-h, 16 September 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#34 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

Hmmm, ...just short of an hour it found 13 updates.

1 for Silverlight; 7 for Vista; 5 for Office 2007, all of which failed to install.

Tried again with the same result.

What can I do now?? :unsure:

#35 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

These are the updates which were downloaded and the results of my Google searches for the appropriate files to download:-

KB3182373...Unable to understand which file I need
KB3185319...Apparently this is not for my system!
KB3174644...Installed Manually
KB3175024...Does not apply to your system
KB3177186...Installed Manually
KB3184122...Does not apply to your system
KB3185662...Installed Manually
KB890830 ...Does not apply to your
KB3118300...Does not apply to your
KB3115462...Does not apply to your
KB3118303...Unable to understand which file I need
KB3114744...Unable to understand which file I need

I've vented my spleen at MS via an invite to give my views which popped up un-invited! Grr.

Hope they stand well back from the screen when reading my response to avoid the spray from my rabid rant!!

#36 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

...Dalai seems to have updated with the September download link in the last few minutes. :thumbup2:

...just installed the September update from Dalai's site and now when I try to access Windows Update, Explorer stops responding!

I can't see if it installed or not, nor can I access Windows Updates to search for more! :scratchhead:

...just short of an hour it found 13 updates.  1 for Silverlight; 7 for Vista; 5 for Office 2007, all of which failed to install.

...KB3118300...Does not apply to your
KB3115462...Does not apply to your
KB3118303...Unable to understand which file I need
KB3114744...Unable to understand which file I need...

Hi six-h:

Many of the symptoms you've described for your failed installs usually occur when the user does not restart their system at the end of the installation when prompted by the installation wizard, resulting in an incomplete installation.

Dalai's webpage was updated on 13-Sep-2016 a few hours after the September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates were released, so I don't understand why you couldn't see his updated webpage until this morning (16-Sep-2016).  I don't know what web browser you use, but do you have it set to clear your browsing history on exit to clear cached data and temporary Internet files so that your browser isn't loading outdated (stored) copies of some webpages?

Attached File  FF48 Delete Browsing History on Exit.png   11.02KB   0 downloads

I also don't understand your comment about to problems with "Explorer".  Were you referring to Internet Explorer (your IE9 browser) or Windows Explorer, and were you running either of these programs while you were running the standalone update package (.msu installer) for KB3185911?

As I suggested last month, go back and use the original step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours? in the MS Answers forum.  When you reach STEP # 3, confirm that KB3185911 installed correctly, and if it doesn't appear in your installed updates at Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates (and not Windows Update | View Update History, which is less accurate) then make sure that you download the .msu installer to your Windows desktop as instructed in STEP # 4.  It should only take a minute for the installer to run to completion, and you must restart your system at the end of the installation to ensure KB3185911 is installed properly.

Attached File  WU KB3185911 MSU Restart 13 Sep 2016.png   13.95KB   0 downloads

It's your choice if your want to try to manually install every update are listed in the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2016, but if you go that route without understanding which updates are applicable to your system you're just making it more difficult for others to provide assistance in this thread.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 16 September 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#37 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Hi six-h:

Many of the symptoms you've described for your failed installs usually occur when the user does not restart their system at the end of the installation when prompted by the installation wizard, resulting in an incomplete installation.

That might have been the cause but I feel sure that I did a reboot after installing Dalai's Link to KB3185911 for September.

I had been checking the web page daily since Patch Tuesday, lastly just before my first post today.

upon refreshing the page after making that post, the September download link appeared!

My browser of choice is FireFox, and I have not altered the default settings so history will be retained, I find it useful to find my way back to sites of interest that I may not have bookmarked!

In any case, I have been unable to find the settings that you show in your screenshot, how do I navigate to it?

It's your choice if your want to try to manually install every update are listed in the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2016, but if you go that route without understanding which updates are applicable to your system you're just making it more difficult for others to provide assistance in this thread.

No way would I want to do that!

I just didn't know what to do when the updates that were found failed to install twice.

I started googling each "KB" number and clicking links which looked as if they would lead me to the Vista x86 SP2 suitable download file.

Three times I got lucky and managed to download and install an update, other "KB" Numbers googled took me to pages with obscure gobledy-gook which I could not decipher and had to abandon, whilst still other KB Googlings led to downloads which attempted to install then told me they were not suitable for my system!

All that said, after a re-boot, I have just checked the installed updates from the "Programs and Features" direction and that shows the September KB318591, and the three KB's which I hunted down with Google had successfully installed.

I had no idea that could contain different info from the "Windows Update > Installed Updates" route.

A further manual "Check for Updates presented the remaining 10 KB's which have now installed!

I really do not understand Windows Update, seems it is a discipline all of it's own!!

I'll try again next month :rolleyes:

#38 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

This is like Alice through the Looking Glass!

Thought I would just do one last re-boot and check what has installed :

To Re-cap, I installed Dalai's posted download for September Let's call that one update installed.

A manual search found a further 12 updates for installation making a total of thirteen updates.

The final tally I have just done shows the number of "installed updates" in this session was 48 in two batches since the installs spanned midnight!

"Update History" meanwhile insists that there were a total of 14 successful updates!

How does this equate to the 12 notified as available, plus the one gleaned from Dalai's list.

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say!

My Brain hurts! :smash:

#39 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

My browser of choice is FireFox, and I have not altered the default settings so history will be retained, I find it useful to find my way back to sites of interest that I may not have bookmarked!  In any case, I have been unable to find the settings that you show in your screenshot, how do I navigate to it?

Hi six-h:

See the Mozilla support article Delete browsing, search and download history on Firefox for instructions on how to configure Firefox to clear your browsing history automatically (Tools | Options | Privacy | History | Clear history when Firefox closes | Settings).  Leave the checkbox for Browsing & Download History unchecked if you want to retain the list of recently visited sites when you exit your browser.  Just make sure you always browse to Dalai's main site at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ and don't accidentally browse to an older archived page for a previous month (e.g., like http:// wu.krelay.de/en/2016-08.htm) - especially if you use a bookmark to browse to this site.

A manual search found a further 12 updates for installation making a total of thirteen updates. The final tally I have just done shows the number of "installed updates" in this session was 48 in two batches since the installs spanned midnight!

"Update History" meanwhile insists that there were a total of 14 successful updates!

How does this equate to the 12 notified as available, plus the one gleaned from Dalai's list.

My Windows Update history (Windows Update | View Update History) for my 2016 September Patch Tuesday updates shows the kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update KB3185911 recommended by Dalai that I installed manually on 13-Sep-2016 plus the remaining 10 important updates installed by my manual Windows Update I ran the following day.

Attached File  September 2016 PT Updates Windows History.png   34.52KB   0 downloads

This matches what I see in my installed updates (Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates), with one exception - the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for September 2016 (KB890830) is not listed in the installed updates.  I assume this is normal since KB890830 updates the virus definitions for the MSRT each Patch Tuesday before it runs its monthly scan for malware during your Windows Update session.  This is different from other Windows Update patches that can be uninstalled from your list of installed updates if they are buggy or cause a software conflict on your system.

Attached File  September 2016 PT Updates Installed Updates.png   24.81KB   0 downloads

Please read the Microsoft support article "The update is not applicable to your computer" error when you install Windows updates.  The two most common causes of this "not applicable" warning are that the standalone .msu installer was the wrong bitness for your OS (e.g., you tried to install a 64-bit installer on a 32-bit OS) or that the update was already installed on your system.  I can't comment on the anomalies you see in your own update count now because post # 35 shows you encountered several issues when you tried to run standalone .msu installers that were not on Dalai's list of recommended updates at http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  You will also have multiple entries in your Windows Update history for the same KB number if installation of that update fails and requires additional attempts to install successfully.

Hopefully your October 2016 Patch Tuesday updates will go more smoothly when you follow the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours? in the MS Answers forum.  Just remember to watch for prompts to re-boot your system to ensure that updates are installed successfully.

------------

Edited by lmacri, 17 September 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#40 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

Followed Imacri's advice to the letter this month and all went without incident, ...until I clicked "Re-start Now" after the updates had completed.

This was as usual, immediate and didn't allow me the opportunity to close the "updates" window, or Firefox with 4 tabs open for which I received notification that they were still running and requested confirmation to continue.

Immediately after this I heard an audible "Critical Stop" and a message popped up that read something to the effect that "a breakpoint has been reached".

Mystified, I allowed the re-start to continue.

Googling the phrase as I remembered it, it seems I should have sought more info on the message before continuing.

Can I find this cryptic message again somewhere?

Some of the reasons Goggle returned for such occurrences were, a corruption of firefox leading to it using too much memory:

Mine is currently using 188,204 Kb and the "Plugin container for Firefox" is using 179,212 Kb.

My total RAM on this machine is only 2GB, so I'm constantly perilously close to the Max even when doing precious little!

I have thought for some time that FF uses too much memory, does that usage sound reasonable when there are just 5 tabs open, none of which I would think are memory intensive.

They are Gmail, this forum and the two associated ones linked to from this thread regarding the update problem plus a Google search for the term "a breakpoint has been reached" :mellow:

Forward one day:

Just checking that "Installed Updates" and "Update History" were in agreement, ...but they are not!

"Installed Updates" shows 51 were installed yesterday.

"Update History" contains only 28 successful updates, no failed or cancelled ones.

What is happening?

Edited by six-h, 17 October 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#41 uberbleeper

uberbleeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

Six-h,

Sorry you're having so many problems & questions.  To some extent, you may be overthinking (some) of these issues.

Not sure where you're seeing the installed updates vs. update history - or if differences even matter at this point.

If "installed updates" is clicking " Installed updates" link in Control Panel > Windows Update - that is the total of all updates that Windows THINKS were installed - ever.  But that can be deceiving.  The file where that data is stored could be corrupt, or it could've been deleted - as part of a "fix windows updating problems" process - as it OFTEN is.  Either by you - following instructions, or by a Windows "FixIt tool" or other possibilities.

That & other files are often deleted to "start fresh," because if they get corrupted the update process may not work.

In the case where some of these update record files have been deleted (ever), Windows no longer SHOWS to the users any updates from before the files were deleted. 

But, Windows update still knows which updates are installed - getting that data from other sources, when automatic update is run.  So I wouldn't worry about Installed Updates & Update History not matching.

The only thing to worry about is if it shows some update installations failed.  Then you have to either rerun auto update or download the failed KB's & manually install them - in order of smallest KB # to largest.

Re:  "I just didn't know what to do when the updates that were found failed to install twice."

There are 100's of things that could cause failure.  We could fill up several pages & still not cover all possibilities.  Take the easy way out.

If an update(s) fail, download it again - either via auto update, or manually d/l failed KBs from MS.  Go to MS support site & search for the failed KBs.  Download to where you can find them. 

Set Windows Update to "never check for updates."  You do NOT want auto updater running while trying to install updates.  That alone can make manual installs fail or hang. 

Then disconnect from internet, close all apps incl. AV and Firewall. 

Then install in order one at a time, starting w/ smallest KB #.  IF... they failed in the past, you can try rebooting after each one is installed.  That's not always necessary, but may help if having trouble installing. 

Sometimes apps or security prgms interfere w/ all sorts of processes.  If updates continue to fail regularly, you'll probably have to follow some "repair Windows updating" steps & mainly run MS auto FixIt tools for Windows Update.  If that happens, PM me & I'll try to post the main links to the best / most updated FixIt tools, or step by step articles, should the FixIt tools fail.

To  manually install them,  Double click the KB*.msu file & it should install, or begin the process.  Remember to close everything 1st. 

Some security prgms, you have to change a setting before you can shut it down completely (safety feature).  And in Task Manager, must click "show processes for all users," before you can even see some application processes running in background.

Re:  "I started googling each "KB" number and clicking links which looked as if they would lead me to the Vista x86 SP2 suitable download file."

I said, "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this."  The doc said, "Six-h, then don't do that."

Take the easy way.  You shouldn't have to google anything or click "what LOOKS like..."

Every month - a couple days after the 2nd Tues (Patch Tues.), go to http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  Find the kernel-mode driver update(s) - listed for YOUR SPECIFIC OS (e.g., Vista x86, or Win 7 x64, etc.).

Follow the links & d/l the correct version for your OS (no googling or guessing).  

Save them to named folders - like Vista Kernel Updates\ Oct 2016 - to keep them straight.  Create another folder for next month.

Set Windows auto update to "Never check for updates."

Install the Kernel driver updates -  usually 1 - 2 updates - smallest KB # first, then next largest, etc.  I usually install them all, then reboot (that's usually how auto updater does it).  But you can reboot after each, if want.

Then change  Windows Update back to "Check for Updates, but let me decide when to install."

It'll probably begin an update search.  If not, click update now.  Since the kernel driver updates were installed manually, the search for remaining updates should take a few min. instead of days - or forever.

Download the important ones (unless using a 3rd party AV & it's offering updates for Windows' own AV prgm, etc.).  The d/l time should also be fast.

Nothing I've read explains why manually installing 1 or 2 updates makes auto updating fast again, just that it DOES work.   I'm fairly sure it's not because there's 1 or 2 less updates "for Windows to search for."  That's ridiculous.  2 less files out of 35 for auto update to search for  (once, for me) wouldn't shorten the search time from 24+ hours  down to a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users