Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming PC Advice

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 help_needed1

help_needed1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I hope someone can advise me as I have a couple of questions. As you will see from my questions, I know nothing about computers and hence, building one is not an option. Furthermore, I realize the computer I am looking at might be a bit excessive for my current needs but I figure if I am going to buy one, buy one that can last into the “VR age”.

I currently play: WoW, Fallout, Skyrim, some 1st person shooters, Cities: Skylines etc

Here's what I am looking at:

Area 51:

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

NVDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 Founders Edition with 8GB GDDR5X

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz; up to 64GB

128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

Here's my question:

1. What monitor to get? I am very confused. I believe that I should be 4k and g sync. I was hoping to keep it in the $500.00 range. Is that possible?

2. Do I need to do anything to “activate” g-sync or will the monitor know from the graphics card?

Aside from the monitor question, if anyone has any other general advice, I welcome the input.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

You mean this one? http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd?oc=dpcw04brhs&model_id=alienware-area51-r2

You are not Seriously going to buy that pile of overpriced crap? Here's an example build, better parts and price is less than half http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KHs3bj

However, both machines are too little for "VR-age". Nvidia's GPU architecture is bad for VR and current GPU's are too weak for VR anyway. So if you want VR, only good option is to wait for cards equipped with HBM2 memory. It takes around 6 months or something but it's only good choice as current cards are simply too weak.

For monitor question, Nvidia supports only Gsync and AMD support only Freesync/adaptive sync.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 18 July 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#3 help_needed1

help_needed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

Thank you for your response. The Area 51 I was looking at was similar to the one you posted. The cpu was an i7-5820K Processor (6-cores)  and the hard drive was smaller and the cost was approx. $2600.00

I'm not really comfortable with my (lack of) skill set to build a computer from parts which is why I was looking at the Alienware.

It sounds like you are suggesting I hold off on the purchase for approx. 6 months until the Video cards are more adept at VR. Is that correct?

Thanks again for the advice.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

Thank you for your response. The Area 51 I was looking at was similar to the one you posted. The cpu was an i7-5820K Processor (6-cores)  and the hard drive was smaller and the cost was approx. $2600.00

I'm not really comfortable with my (lack of) skill set to build a computer from parts which is why I was looking at the Alienware.

It sounds like you are suggesting I hold off on the purchase for approx. 6 months until the Video cards are more adept at VR. Is that correct?

Thanks again for the advice.

$2600 sounds more realistic. That $4500 was like :crazy:

There are cheaper options also, shops that build computer for you. On that Alienware case cost quite a lot.

28nm manufacturing tech was used with GPU's from january 2012 to may 2016. Less than 2 months ago 14/16nm GPU's arrived but they are very small and so much better ones are coming. Also GDDR5X is not very big jump from GDDR5 but HBM2 is. So within about 6 months there is going to be very much improvement. GPU development was quite stalled for years because 28nm restricted it and 14/16nm era has only just begun. So for proper VR experience, waiting for HBM2 cards is about only wise option right now.

#5 help_needed1

help_needed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

This is the Area 51 I was considering: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd?oc=dpcw02brhs&variant=6:GT1080S&model_id=alienware-area51-r2#overrides=dpcw02brhs:6~GT1080S

(Upgrading to 32 RAM would bump the cost to $2800.00 - is that worth while?)

Regarding your comment about HBM2 cards. If I went with the above system would it be able to support a HBM2 card if I switched it out in a year or so?

Also, do you have a suggestion for a 4k g sync monitor that doesn't break the bank?

Thank you :)

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

This is the Area 51 I was considering: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd?oc=dpcw02brhs&variant=6:GT1080S&model_id=alienware-area51-r2#overrides=dpcw02brhs:6~GT1080S

(Upgrading to 32 RAM would bump the cost to $2800.00 - is that worth while?)

Regarding your comment about HBM2 cards. If I went with the above system would it be able to support a HBM2 card if I switched it out in a year or so?

Also, do you have a suggestion for a 4k g sync monitor that doesn't break the bank?

Thank you :)

Value of 16GB DDR4 memory is around 65$ so paying 200$ for it is very expensive.

You perhaps can upgrade GPU but as that is OEM machine and has custom case, impossible to be sure. I still recommend pre-built custom computer so you can select parts and know exactly what you are buying. Any idea about shops you can buy from?

For 4K monitor you also need 4K capable graphic card and there are currently no 4K capable graphic cards (if talking about serious 4K gaming). So better to wait for HBM2 cards, at that time monitors are also better than they are now.

And I forgot to ask what's your current machine.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 19 July 2016 - 07:45 AM.

#7 help_needed1

help_needed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:43 AM

I live in a very rural part of New Hampshire. There is a computer store several towns over, I'm just concerned if they have expertise for building the system with the cooling requirements etc. I figured for the peace of mind and convenience buying through the internet would be better. I guess I'll give them a call just to check.

Your comments did lead me to find Origins and Digital Storm on the internet - any comment about those companies?

I'm open to buying a system now and upgrading the graphics card in a year or so (if that would help with VR).

Your comment about no 4k video card was helpful, I was thinking I should buy a better monitor to take of advantage of the graphics card (thinking the graphics card did 4k)

I currently have a basic Dell system purchased 7 years ago at that time a friend had installed a Radon (?) graphics card.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Buying from internet is OK. I configured system at Digital Storm https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1455360

Total price is $2,057

Future upgrades:

CPU: no need, perhaps 8 core if cheap enough?

Motherboard: no need

Memory: 32GB should be enough

PSU: no need

Video card: GTX 950 was cheapest they had. You are going to change it anyway so better to buy cheapest one

Storage: perhaps M.2 SSD later, current fast models overheat

Cooling: no need

If you want specials like laser mark and such, go ahead. I left them out.

That is much better choice than Alienware as all components are at least good quality.

#9 help_needed1

help_needed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

Thank you for putting together the Digital Storm system. One last question (I hope).

I'm thinking that since the components are not really VR capable as of yet maybe it would be smarter to purchase a basic system and plan on replacing it with a more power one in a year or two. I found this system at dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=cai3650w7pb223&model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

It has:

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor

and

AMD Radeon™ HD R9 360 2GB GDDR5

While the CPU is not as good as the i7 5820 perhaps its good enough for now (?).

My question is: Do you think the system I linked would be "good enough" for Steam games, WoW etc?

Thank you

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for putting together the Digital Storm system. One last question (I hope).

I'm thinking that since the components are not really VR capable as of yet maybe it would be smarter to purchase a basic system and plan on replacing it with a more power one in a year or two. I found this system at dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=cai3650w7pb223&model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

It has:

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor

and

AMD Radeon™ HD R9 360 2GB GDDR5

While the CPU is not as good as the i7 5820 perhaps its good enough for now (?).

My question is: Do you think the system I linked would be "good enough" for Steam games, WoW etc?

Thank you

That Dell system has i7-6700 and DDR3L. Also case is bad and PSU is bad. Well, at least it's cheap but there are no parts except HDD that has some use with new machine.

If you want machine for just this moment that can be replaced later, I recommend something much cheaper. Any other shops than Digital Storm or Origin? Both have quite expensive systems and not really cheap ones.

#11 help_needed1

help_needed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

I was thinking I could use the Dell machine for 1 - 2 years then just trash it and buy entirely new.

I did check Origin/Digital Storm but as you mentioned they don't have cheap systems.

The problem is the computer I used for gaming is dead. I thought since I had to get a new computer get a decent one this time since VR is coming. Now I know that the parts aren't really VR capable yet so now I am thinking of just getting a low end unit to use for 1 - 2 years then trash and buy all new.

I'll still check the store in the neighboring town. It seems silly to spend a lot of $$$ hoping for a VR system if the components aren't there yet so might as well go "cheap"

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:32 AM

I was thinking I could use the Dell machine for 1 - 2 years then just trash it and buy entirely new.

I did check Origin/Digital Storm but as you mentioned they don't have cheap systems.

The problem is the computer I used for gaming is dead. I thought since I had to get a new computer get a decent one this time since VR is coming. Now I know that the parts aren't really VR capable yet so now I am thinking of just getting a low end unit to use for 1 - 2 years then trash and buy all new.

I'll still check the store in the neighboring town. It seems silly to spend a lot of $$$ hoping for a VR system if the components aren't there yet so might as well go "cheap"

1-2 year use and then trash system should be at most 600-700$ range. That town shop probably can make decent offer. Ask for offer for 600-700$ range and post it here? Ask if they have FM2+ sets available, FM2+ is very suitable for that type of machine.

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'm not sure where Drillingmachine is getting the video card information.  The GTX 1080 supports resolutions up to 7680x4320@60Hz and 4K Resolution is only 4096 x 2160.

The 32GB is a bit of overkill, but should get you by for many years.  I built my current machine with 32GB back in 2012 and don't even come close to using it with a web browser on one screen, playing WoW on the center, and watching a movie on the third.  All screens are 1080p.

Getting the Alienware machine should suit you fine since you're not comfortable building your own.  I don't see the point in buying a computer from someplace else just to throw away the video card.

Edited by Kilroy, 19 July 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

I'm not sure where [memberDrillingmachine] is getting the video card information.  The GTX 1080 supports resolutions up to 7680x4320@60Hz and 4K Resolution is only 4096 x 2160.

The 32GB is a bit of overkill, but should get you by for many years.  I built my current machine with 32GB back in 2012 and don't even come close to using it with a web browser on one screen, playing WoW on the center, and watching a movie on the third.  All screens are 1080p.

Getting the Alienware machine should suit you fine since you're not comfortable building your own.  I don't see the point in buying a computer from someplace else just to throw away the video card.

It supports high resolutions but is practically too slow for even 4K gaming.

GTX 1080 is not good enough for VR/4K so for those purposes video card must be switched later.

#15 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

GTX 1080 is plenty for VR. Even the RX 480, a $200 card, was marked as VR capable.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users