Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernate/hybrid shutdown not working (no error)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ggxtreme

ggxtreme

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

Hello,

Hopefully someone can give me some idea on pinpointing this.

I had a computer running Windows 7 that for a while now would not hibernate. When I tried to hibernate using the Start Menu, the screen would go black but the lights and fans remain on and the computer never shuts off. If I press the power button, the PC shuts off immediately and when I boot back up, it starts up normally with no error as if I had shut it down normally instead of hibernating. I rarely used hibernation, so I simply left it alone.

Same computer, but now I have upgraded to Windows 10 and would like to enable the Fast Startup (hybrid shudown) feature. But when it is enabled, the computer will not shut down (displays "Shutting down", screen goes black, lights and fans remain on). I hit the power button, computer shuts off and when I turn it on again it is a normal 'slow' cold boot with no error (but it's clear fast startup is not working). Trying to hibernate the computer has the same result as it did with Windows 7.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance (8x4GB quad channel, X.M.P. DDR3-1600) 

Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

2nd HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD

GPU: Asus STRIX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

Power Supply: Corsair HX750

Other: SIIG FireWire PCIe card

OS's tested: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (retail), Windows 10 Pro (upgrade from W7); fully up-to-date through Windows Update

Here is what I've tried (rebooting after each if applicable):

- Disabled and re-enabled hibernate using powercfg (no errors)

- Disabled and re-enabled Fast startup from Power Options

- Changed size of hiberfil.sys using powercfg's '/size' and '/type' parameters (tried defaults as well as 100% of RAM, no errors)

- Disabled startup programs (antivirus, Logitech SetPoint)

- Ran chkdsk using a system repair disc (no errors)

- Ran sfc /scannow in offline mode (no errors)

- Ran Disk Cleanup

- Reset CMOS

- Flashed BIOS version 4701 from Asus website

- Updated/rolled back/disabled/uninstalled driver for Intel Management Engine Interface (based on other threads I read)

- Uninstalled AMD GPU driver, cleaned with DDU and installed latest AMD Crimson hotfix driver 16.7.2

- Re-initialized SSD as GPT and reinstalled Windows 10 in UEFI mode

- Ran disk optimization between steps (TRIM)

- Ran memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostics for multiple passes with most thorough settings (no errors)

- Verified SSD S.M.A.R.T. status using Samsung Magician software

- Left the computer on the screen off/lights on state for several hours to verify it's not simply taking longer than usual to hibernate

- Updated Intel RSTe C600 SATA controller driver and Intel X79 chipset driver to latest from ASUS site

- Updated drivers using Windows Update

- Ran a full virus/malware scan using Avira (free), Malwarebytes, TDSSkiller and HitManPro (nothing found)

- Analyzed registry using CCleaner (it only found a couple of seemingly unrelated keys, so I left them alone)

- Verified everything in the build is seated correctly and all cables are firmly connected.

- Verified drivers using verifier.exe for 24 hours (immediate BSoD due to Cyberlink PowerDVD driver, but no further errors after uninstalling the driver)

Other notes:
- The only errors present in Event Viewer when the hibernate/hybrid shutdown is the Kernel Power (error 41) from me hitting the power button after the hang occurs (no warning or errors leading up to it) and occasionally "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC000007B" (error 16) after turing the computer back on.

- The computer reboots, sleeps and resums normally, and shuts down normally when Fast startup is disabled.

- Samsung RAPID mode is enabled (but Samsung Magician is set to NOT run on startup).

- I used the Tweaking Windows Repair Tool back when the PC was running Windows 7, but it did not resolve the issue. I have not run the tool since installing Windows 10.

- Everything else seems to work 100%. I tested other things like System Restore, making sure Services were starting and running correctly, etc. and have not encountered any issues or errors.

- I have Virtual CloneDrive installed, not sure if it could possibly be related but I haven't tried removing it yet.

- The only other thing I can think of that I haven't tried is a full format of the SSD, but I'd like to avoid that unless it's likely to be involved.

My next step if I cannot find a software resolution would be to contact Asus, but I think everything is already out of warranty and I'm not sure what hardware besides the motherboard could be involved.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me.

Edit: Added second error found in Event Viewer to notes (error 16)

Edited by ggxtreme, 18 July 2016 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

It doesn't appear that your SSD is on the QVL list for this motherboard.

Have you tried the 4801 beta BIOS?

Have you replaced the ASMedia and Marvell SATA controller drivers (uninstall, then install a freshly downloaded copy)?

The 0xC000007B error is a BAD IMAGE error.

Has this error occurred both on W7 and W10?

Try to hibernate the system, then recover.

Do this 3 times, then lets have a look at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ggxtreme

ggxtreme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:51 PM

It doesn't appear that your SSD is on the QVL list for this motherboard.

Yea, that is a pretty short list. At the time I built this PC the 850 EVO didn't exist and the 840 PRO was the SSD of choice.

Have you tried the 4801 beta BIOS?

I just did, no change.

Have you replaced the ASMedia and Marvell SATA controller drivers (uninstall, then install a freshly downloaded copy)?

I did, didn't think to mention it in the OP.

The 0xC000007B error is a BAD IMAGE error.
Has this error occurred both on W7 and W10?

I never checked the error logs when I was running W7. When I first built the computer, hibernate worked just fine. The only hardware changes since then were upgrading GPU from HD7950 (hibernate worked but I only tested it early on) -> R9 280X (by this time hibernate already stopped working and I never really tried again under W7) -> R9 390X (current).

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Ok. So far everything is stable in the 30-40 degree Celsius range and the room is hot (never had any temp issues before).

I ran the tools requested and attached the output. The only thing I noticed was perfmon detecting a PnP device error, which is strange since the only things attached are the Logitech USB receivers for my mouse and keyboard and a FireWire audio interface. Perhaps it's referring to my SD card reader.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:25 AM

The PnP error appears related to a networking device ( USB\\VID_0CF3&PID_3000 )

The same device appears as a problem device in the MSINFO32...Components...Problem Devices report.
I have to wonder if it's related to the multiple networking errors that I discussed below

It appears to be an Asus bluetooth device.  Please read this forum post before proceeding with the repairs below (you may want to do this one instead of the bluetooth install that I describe later on):  http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P8P67+DELUXE&id=20110204110952785&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

There's 3 things happening in the Admin log file just before you shut down:
1)  Multiple networking errors
2)  ATI eRecord errors.  Note that this is likely a leftover, as AMD has renamed the drivers to AMD drivers (this happened back in 2012)
3)  A USB storage device error.  Most likely a compact flash device.

I'd suggest uninstalling the AMD stuff, using their Clean Uninstall Utility also:  http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx
Then install "drivers only" as described in this post:  https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-tips-and-tricks/668-ati-video-cards-driver-only-installation-procedure.html
As I wrote this back in 2012 and haven't updated it, I'd suggest reading this topic also:  https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-tips-and-tricks/455-updating-amd-ati-cards-drivers-only.html

As for the networking errors, do you notice any networking problems soon after rebooting?
Try using Windows Update immediately after the reboot and see if there are any problems then.
Then try:
- downloading fresh copied of the latest, W10 compatible networking drivers (wired, wireless, and bluetooth).  See my note above about the bluetooth drivers.

- uninstalling the current drivers from Control Panel...Programs and Features

- then install the freshly downloaded drivers

Here's the USB storage device error:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_Compact_Flash&Rev_1.01#8&2a7f013&0&058F63646476&1#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

This appears to be a USB storage device (from the text of the error message).  Do you have anything like that attached to the system?  This could even be a printer with an SD card port built in.

This seems to be a fairly common error, but there are no definite fixes for it on the web (that I could find).

If you have something like this connected, pleased disconnect it and then test to see if the hibernate/hybrid thing works.

Leave it disconnected regardless of the results - it's one less thing to deal with while troubleshooting.

systeminfo.txt report is missing.  I can't tell how many Windows Update hotfixes are installed.

Please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

We;ve already discussed the BIOS, so we'll leave that one alone for now.

Nothing real significant in the Sysnative reports that we didn't identify elsewhere.

Let us know what happens with my suggestioons and we'll move on from there..

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ggxtreme

ggxtreme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

It appears to be an Asus bluetooth device.

Ah, my bad. I forgot to disable the onboard Bluetooth controller in the UEFI settings after updating the BIOS. I did that and now the Unknown Device and related errors are gone.

2)  ATI eRecord errors.  Note that this is likely a leftover, as AMD has renamed the drivers to AMD drivers (this happened back in 2012)

I fully uninstalled the AMD GPU drivers and used the official cleanup utility you linked. However, even installing the bare driver using Device Manager still installs the AMD External Event Utility service which triggers the ATI eRecord errors (I verified that the service and files weren't there before the driver being loaded). Stopping the AMD EEU service and setting startup to 'Manual' caused the errors to stop. Unfortunately, installing the drivers this way leaves me without some important GPU features like the Vulcan RT and access to overlay settings. I will wait until my main issue is resolved before going back to the normal driver installation.

As for the networking errors, do you notice any networking problems soon after rebooting?

I noticed errors related to NETLOGON in the logs. This account/PC has never been part of a domain, so I set the startup type for Netlogon to 'Manual' and the error hasn't happened since. I've never had any networking trouble after rebooting, all my programs can connect fine and I can access my network shares without any issues. I made sure to download and install the most up-to-date LAN drivers since that's my only network device (I also tried the versions Windows chose automatically through Windows Update but didn't find any difference).

This appears to be a USB storage device (from the text of the error message).  Do you have anything like that attached to the system?  This could even be a printer with an SD card port built in.

It was the internal multi card reader. I disconnected it from the motherboard and the warnings no longer appear.

systeminfo.txt report is missing.  I can't tell how many Windows Update hotfixes are installed.
Please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Windows is fully up-to-date, no errors. I'm not sure why that file wasn't generated, I manually generated it as well as generated new reports for everything after the changes I made.

I notice now that I'm seeing an error in the events related to the Print Spooler service and the Microsoft XPS Document Writer. I looked into it and it appears to be related to a GPO issue or domain accounts (like I said, never been part of a domain). There doesn't seem to be any solution, but I don't think it's related. I also fully uninstalled Virtual CloneDrive to further simplify the list of storage controllers. Unfortunately my hibernation/hybrid shutdown issue persists. I appreciate your help and the quick response time.

Attached Files

Edited by ggxtreme, 19 July 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

OK, the 0xC000007B error is still present

As such, we have to suspect that there's a problem when resuming.

The question is where the bad image is occurring - it it written badly during shutdown, or it is read badly during boot up?

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the HDD tests and also run CHKDSK /R /F on all volumes.

I suggest the Seagate Seatools test as it also runs a controller test (I believe that the Western Digital also runs this test, but am not certain).

Use the Crystal Disk tests on the SSD.

Another suggestion is to install a regular hard drive, put Windows on it, and see if that fixes the hibernate/shutdown issue (this is the best way to rule out the SSD.

As this is a temporary test, there wouldn't be a need to activate Windows.
And, you can try the hibernate before and after updating Windows (to save a bit of time).

#7 ggxtreme

ggxtreme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

OK, the 0xC000007B error is still present
As such, we have to suspect that there's a problem when resuming.

The question is where the bad image is occurring - it it written badly during shutdown, or it is read badly during boot up?

My hunch is the former, as the computer never powers off after supposedly writing hiberfil.sys. It seems to be at some point after where the issue would be caught by the event logger, or perhaps it's completely hanging to the point an error cannot occur. Sleep mode resumes without issue and Windows has no issue creating/removing/resizing hiberfil.sys while it is booted up.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
Start with the HDD tests and also run CHKDSK /R /F on all volumes.
I suggest the Seagate Seatools test as it also runs a controller test (I believe that the Western Digital also runs this test, but am not certain).
Use the Crystal Disk tests on the SSD.

I ran Seatools for Windows and did not detect any issues so far (running all tests that will not erase data). The bootable Seatools for DOS would not detect any drives or controllers, but I think I just forgot to set the controller to IDE mode. I'm not sure how to use the Crystal Disk software to test the drive, I ran the benchmarks successfully and got normal results for my drive model. Samsung Magician shows no issues in S.M.A.R.T. values. Chkdsk found no errors on all volumes.

Another suggestion is to install a regular hard drive, put Windows on it, and see if that fixes the hibernate/shutdown issue (this is the best way to rule out the SSD.
As this is a temporary test, there wouldn't be a need to activate Windows.
And, you can try the hibernate before and after updating Windows (to save a bit of time).

That's a good idea, I think I have a spare 2TB HGST drive around here somewhere. That would probably be the simplest way to pinpoint the real issue. I'll post again once I have time to work on this more continuously.

Edit: Turns out I don't have a spare HDD I can use =/

EDIT: I got something! Since something between the SSD and motherboard would be the most likely issue, I decided to take another look at my AHCI SATA drivers. As I mentioned in the OP, I had the latest RSTe drivers installed from the ASUS website (there was a different version of the RSTe driver installed when I installed Windows 10 and the issue was still occurring then). So what I did was fully uninstall and delete them, reboot into Safe Mode to fix INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, then install the RST (non-enterprise) drivers from the ASUS website instead. Well, now hibernate and hybrid shutdown both work flawlessly! So problem...solved? But I've run into issues in the past with RST and prefer to use RSTe, yet no one else has reported an issue like this with RSTe, even though the 840 PRO is common SSD used with my board. For example, my SSD posts noticeably lower results in all benchmarks (especially random write iops) with the RST drivers vs the RSTe drivers. I'd still *like* to figure out why it isn't working the way I want, but I understand if that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Edited by ggxtreme, 22 July 2016 - 04:22 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:43 AM

I have never found a lot of data on the RST drivers.
I'd suggest posting over in the Intel communities for more specific suggestions.

Good luck!

#9 ggxtreme

ggxtreme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

Thanks again for all the help, the issue can be considered solved for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users