Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Support Site Not Working With Firefox.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

I am unable to display the complete content of support articles on the Microsoft support site with Firefox. Of course everything looks great under IE.

Here's an example...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765/EN-US/

At one time, I did not have any issues looking at support articles with Firefox on the MS support site.
Any workarounds for this besides using IE when I am researching problems on MS?
JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

Try installing the IE Tab extension.That way you can view IE within Firefox. Is the only way I can see the entire page of a Micr$oft article.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hmm.. I can view MS help and support just fine in my Firefox.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229057/en-us
Posted Image

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

Just clicked on the link provided by Joshuacat and had no problem viewing the entire page even with NoScript blocking Microsoft.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

I don't know if there was anything else on the page link you gave Scarlett,but the link that Joshuacat provided,the page was clearly cut off at "Fast User Switching".
Okay,whats going on...I just tried that page again and it came up fine!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

I don't know if there was anything else on the page link you gave Scarlett,but the link that Joshuacat provided,the page was clearly cut off at "Fast User Switching".
Okay,whats going on...I just tried that page again and it came up fine!

Same here. I'll try again.
Odd! The second time I clicked on Joshuacat's link it had more content
after "Fast User Switching"
Only after I refreshed.... :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

How very weird. I just tried the link Joshuacat gave too, and it cut off at the bottom before the page footer without any scrolling option within the page. I clicked on "refresh" and the page started to reload, then it went to a completely white screen! I emptied cache and the same thing happened - several times. I have just cleaned cache and browsing history and have clicked on the link afresh. Let's see what I have:

I get the original view: the text is cut halfway through a line of text.

I'm going to try something else here:

Okay, I just cleared cache and history and reloaded the page by clicking "refresh", and this time I appear to have gotten the whole page. I was going to see what sites on my ZoneAlarm site list the privacy alert was sending alerts about, but the page loaded up more quickly than I could act.

Okay, I removed a microsoft site in my ZA sites related to windows update, which is where the privacy alert sent me to. Cleared cache and history, pounced on my privacy alert and this time I saw a c.microsoft site. Got the white screen.

Cleared cache and history, removed all microsoft sites from ZoneAlarm sites, clicked on "refresh" again and this time privacy alert showed me support.microsoft.com I got the full page this time. I have allowed only JavaScript.

Okay: I just cleared cache and history again, closed the site and clicked on the link: page cut off above footer. If I click on an in-text navigation button such as "references" I get the white screen. This may have been what happened earlier without my realizing it, and refreshing from the white screen without clearing cache and history simply calls up the white screen again.

I'm going to see what happens if I copy and past the link into the address bar and hit enter. I'm going to clear cache and history again. Cut off again. If I click on an internal navigation button to a section that's cut off, I get the white screen.

Hmm. I cleared cache, history, closed the page, clicked on the link afresh, got the cut-off screen, cleared cache and history and I still get the cut-off screen, and 4 more times as well. I can't discover a consistent method for getting the whole page.

Note: I do not have the IE extension, none-the-less, I did get the full page on three tries but always by using refresh though this method doesn't always work. Grrrrr!!!!! :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:

p.s. I'm getting to not like Microsoft at all.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 August 2006 - 04:19 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

Crazy huh? Me thinks that M$ is trying to block us Fx users. lmao
My half baked theory anyways....:thumbsup:

Orange Blossom: p.s. I'm getting to not like Microsoft at all.

Join the club!

Edited by Scarlett, 13 August 2006 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

Me thinks that M$ is trying to block us Fx users.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind... :thumbsup:

I think I may have fixed this on mine for now. I went in under the Java icon in the Control Panel and deleted all Temporary Internet Files. It works again!

Thanks for your replies. :flowers:
JC

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:19 PM

I think I may have fixed this on mine for now. I went in under the Java icon in the Control Panel and deleted all Temporary Internet Files. It works again!

I spoke too soon...
Well.....it worked a couple of times...now I am back to half the page being displayed. :thumbsup:
JC

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:20 PM

I was also only seeing the cut off page.

By accident I found that clicking on my logitech mouse wheel, the entire page displays.

I have no idea what's going on.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

KoanYoral:

I think you have found the work around :thumbsup: . I just went to a few different MS support sites, including the one Joshuacat sent the link for. When I saw the cut-off page, I pressed down on my scrolling button on the mouse, and voila I got the whole page. It has worked every time. :flowers: Just make sure NOT to click or hesitate on any internal page links before the entire page is there to avoid the possibility of getting the white screen.

Orange Blossom :trumpet:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 August 2006 - 07:41 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

That fix works like a charm Orange Blossom.
Good job! :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:20 AM

By accident I found that clicking on my logitech mouse wheel, the entire page displays.

KoanYoral: I think you have found the work around :thumbsup: .

That fix works like a charm Orange Blossom.
Good job! :flowers:

I only tried out the fix. The credit belongs to KoanYoral. :inlove:

I wonder if the few times I had gotten a full page earlier was because I had pressed down on the scroll button without realizing it.

But: What about Mac users whose mice don't have scroll buttons? What are THEY going to do?

Orange Blossom :trumpet:

Orange Blossom

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

Mouse scrolling didn't do a thing for me last night.
I still had to refresh.
But this morning I am able to view the entire page.
Shrug...lol

Edited by Scarlett, 14 August 2006 - 07:20 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users