Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Help with Installing Latest Version of Linux Mint

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

:welcome:

This topic was started because my original topic evolved from a login & password issue to this one... (installing LM 18)

I think it might be wise to explain my current setup:

I have a 'home' network consisting of 4 desktop PCs that I, obviously, use alternatively (all 4 are 'wired'.)  Also, on this same network are 4 other wireless devices that my wife & daughter use. (a Nexus7 eBook, HP laptop, HP netbook, Dell 2in1 Tablet/laptop, NextBook tablet.

Of my 4 desk-tops, 2 are Win7, 1 is Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon, and the 4th is a rarely used FreeDOS (I don't even know what version it is) resurrected PC.  It's resurrected from the 1990s (733 Mhz Intel CPU.) It runs most of my old treasured software from the bygone days.

.My Linux PC is one that I built from spare parts and that I recently upgraded last year. When I first built it, it was buit as a minimalist PC since, after all, it was a secondary PC.  About a year later though, I wanted more out of it so I doubled the RAM (now 8mb), added an SSD (120gb), replaced the defective HDD with a 500gb WesternDigital, upgraded the onboard video with a snazzy PCI Express (16) Nvidea (???) 5200(?) not exactly sure whch one.  I do know it's NOT one of those high end gamer ones that can cost well over $200.  Mine was well below $100.

This PC first ran Win 7 until I ditched Win7 and put Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on it.  The HD has a separate partition on it with all my old DLs on it that I kept and that I eventually need to go through.

When I first installed LM17.2 on this PC, I used Linux daily and was getting fairly accustomed to its little differences.  Since I didn't like the direction Win was heading, I thought I'd better switch to Linux, so I did and thus began facing the journey that lied ahead of me (learning the new Linux OS, new to me, of course)

Then when I upgraded the CPU Cooler on this Win7 PC, I started using it again more & more.  Ater all, the new cooler & the PC itself represents a healthy investment.

OK, so why don't I just put Linux Mint on THIS PC?  Well, several reasons, including:

• I don't know Linux that well, yet.
  • I don't know how or even IF I can install my beloved HP Office Jet 8500 wireless inkjet printer.
  • In 2010, I bought a copy of MS Office 2010 Student. (my wife & I use it quite regularly)

My opinion of Linux is still quite high.  My opinion of Win, though, is slowly rising up out of the ashes...  Which one will rule over my network? Well, I'm leaning more towards Linux, but the jury's still out...

I welcome any thoughts or opinions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. I haven't followed your other thread all that closely either...

Are you wondering about installing Mint 18 on your machine that is running Mint 17.2? Or something else?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:28 PM

In the case of office, the link here details that to some extent. I haven't used Mint in a few years. For that matter, I haven't used PlayOnLinux in quite some time either, although it's installed on this machine currently (one of the Xubuntu versions - don't ask me which one, it was installed while playing with several things). Getting it installed, though, should be easy peasy if it isn't already available to you after install.

My experience with HP products and linux is they work. Period. Set up your printer first, then the scanner should work via sane/xsane.

Not sure what exactly (other than those two things) you need help with. You'll only get to know linux by using linux, so you'd have to spend time with it to get comfortable enough.

If you're worried about keeping settings and such that you already have as a user, that may or may not be a different thing. If you have a separate /home partition (open a terminal and type df in it - if you see a /home in the list you're good), you can overwrite everything else and keep whatever you have in that. You'd just preserve that partition when you install new stuff.

If you don't have a separate partition, do a backup (write to thumb drives, CDs, DVDs, external drives, whatever you can lay your hands on) to save it. If you have to or want to go that route, ask first so can get command help to keep your permissions preserved when they get put back..

Other than that, it's just a simple install. I'd opt to have a separate /home partition, though, if you didn't do that before.

I'm unfamiliar with your other thread. So if there's more, feel free to elaborate.

#4 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

wizardfromoz, on 15 Jul 2016 - 6:16 PM, said in the topic "Can't login anymore, Why?":
 the checksums are

Thanx a bunch for all of that!!!

The installed app should appear under Accessories in the Menu.

Thanx again!!!

I read your Profile and was touched.

As am I...

linux-for-the-visually-challenged/   which I am working on again currently, and some of the Tips on Firefox translate to Windows environment as well.

Yes, I'd read some of that already (good stuff,) but will revisit.  All the info is truely priceless!

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Condobloke, on 15 Jul 2016 - 8:16 PM, said in the topic"Can't login anymore, Why?":
re Wiz's comment on your profile...Amen to that !....

Thanx, Condobloke... Really nice to know...  :)

and hence the reason my daughters name is Faith.

Love it!

You will find bucketloads of that 'commodity' here

Cool!!!  :)

#6 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

pcpunk, on 17 Jul 2016 - 8:45 PM, said in the topic "Can't login anymore, Why?":
Not exactly sure where you are at now?  Your wanting to download Mint 18 via Windows right?

Sorry for the confusion... But I already have the ISO file (still unverified) But, I went ahead & burned the DVD from it, just haven't used it, yet.  (I wanted to wait until I could verify the ISO.)

I think Nick was saying don't worry to much about it, but yes, you could just use the Windows MD5SUM Hasher. 

That's what I used when I installed my first Linux Mint version, 17.2.

At least that will tell you if the download was good.  Here is one if you need it.

Thanx!  My issue was, though, that I didn't have the hashed # needed to compare to MD5SUM's output, but, thanx to Wiz, I have it now.

www.downthemall.net

Sounds like it'd be worthwhile.

Thanx for the awesome effort!  I'll be sure to use it the next time i'm in FF.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:32 PM

Did you download the iso from the Official Source Linuxmint here

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Maybe you should provide the Tutorial you used before from "The Linux Daily" to avoid any mistakes those directions might have caused.  I've been running Linuxmint for Two years now with very few problems that I didn't cause myself lol.

I understand you wanted to include as much info as possible, but sometimes less if better.  Just include the pc you want to install to and how you would like it to be configured, if possible, like:

1. Do you want to install to the SSD only, or the Operating System to the SSD and the "home" file system to the HDD?

It looks like this is the pc in question:

I wanted more out of it so I doubled the RAM (now 8mb), added an SSD (120gb), replaced the defective HDD with a 500gb WesternDigital, upgraded the onboard video with a snazzy PCI Express (16) Nvidea (???) 5200(?) not exactly sure whch one.

The HP Printer should work fine if not perfectly on Linuxmint!

pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 18 July 2016 - 06:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:06 PM

In 2010, I bought a copy of MS Office 2010 Student. (my wife & I use it quite regularly)

You may want to look at this topic How To Install Microsoft Office 2010 In Ubuntu With Wine

Its exactly the same way to install in Linux mint.

#9 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

cat1092, on 19 Jul 2016 - 03:52 AM, said in the topic "Can't login anymore, Why?":
PieLam, don't feel alone in this & don't let this get you down.

No worries, cat... Yeah, I'm a little bit bummed, who wouldn't be? But since 17.2 is on a "secondary" machine, it makes that pill much easier to swallow, if you know what I mean.  And I'm sure there are many others with the same or similar situatuon... So, don't worry, it takes a lot more than that for me to give up on something.

(in 2009 there wasn't the friendly assistance we now have),

I didn't join BC till Oct 2011, but I can well imagine...  I do regard BC as one of the best, if not, THE best sites on the internet!  I've visited here severeal times in the past and have always gotten friendly, helpful advice on any topic I've had issues with.

Today, there's many articles about Linux Mint & Ubuntu, the cool thing being is that many of the same tips for Ubuntu works on Linux Mint also.

Yes, it's amazing!

If you have family that uses the same computer & OS, then create an account for each,

In my case, my computer time is too timely to be able to share with another user (especially true in years past.)   Fortunately, for me, I've been able to have my own equipment and everybody else in my houehold each has their own "stuff" though I'm usually the maintenance dude for all these other devices.

Back in the early 1980s, it was not unusual for me to come home from work, get on the computer and STAY on it till bedtime,  of course, there would be the usual breaks for such things as supper, bathroom breaks, and other such 'interruptions'.  :)   Also, during this time and for many years, I was the sole computer user of the family.

Good Luck with your new install,

Thanx!

and remember, I linked a Tutorial a page or so back that may be of help.

I'm not in a big hurry, Cat.  So don't worry, I plan on reading & digesting all the good info that I've been given!  (it's the main reason I've saved EVERYTHING to text files!

#10 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

DeimosChaos, on 18 Jul 2016 - 1:22 PM, said:
Are you wondering about installing Mint 18 on your machine that is running Mint 17.2?

Yes, that's it...

Or something else?

In a nutshell, DC, Somehow the 17.2 installation broke to where I could no longer login despite a password reset procedure that I followed and thought (since there were no errors given) would correct the issue, but it didn't.

So it seems that a reinstall is needed.  Logically and on the advice of others, I chose version 18. I also chose to try the Mate desktop since from what I've read, it's the most suited desktop for beginners like me.

Edited by PieLam, 19 July 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#11 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Honestly, I think Cinnamon is better than MATE, but it's really a matter of opinion :)

And do you need step-by-step instructions starting with downloading it?

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

You will not go short of help....many eyes are watching over your shoulder.

I have just completed my 4th reinstall of mint 18 cinnamon.(4 separate PC's)....Yes, I "broke" the predecessor in each case.....so my experience is from the "school of hard knocks".... :hysterical:

The actual install is bog simple. I found the "setting up" to eventually be tedious....(but probably only because it was repetition)

Charge on...dont look back....18 is ultra cool.

The first "update" session ....go get coffee....find something else to do....it takes a while.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

sinister_midget, on 18 Jul 2016 - 1:28 PM, said:
In the case of office, the link here details that to some extent.

I looked at this link, briefly.  Upon this brief look, I'm not so sure about POL.  It seemed complex to me, now, maybe another look in the future?

The main reason I'd lke to stay with MSO is its simplicity, popularity, and at one time was what I used at work.

Before acquiring MSO 2010, I used Open Office successfully for several years. I liked the word editor probably the most.  It seemed that it could do everything MS Word could do and could even read as well as write MS Word files.  Even though I thought the spreadsheet was OK, it didn't seem to be as polished as the editor.

My main issue though with the whole Open Office package was it's lack of an easy to use "mail-merge" function.  While easy to do in MSO, it was terribly difficult (but do-able) in Open Office.  I never did figure it out on my on.  Even though in MSO, I had used mail-merge successfully several times.  So, I had to resort to asking for assitance in one of the many Open Office forums.

I was so happy after getting MSO!  Finally, I could easily use mail-merge once again!

I'm hoping that you & others can see why I have this attachment to using MSO.

My experience with HP products and linux is they work. Period. Set up your printer first, then the scanner should work via sane/xsane.

Good to know...
"sane/xsane"? what's that?

To be honest, I'm not even sure that HP offers Linux drivers for their printers or not (they probably do.)  I remember not seeing the "Add Printer" function in LM and deciding that there must be some complex procedure for adding a printer in LM that I'd inquire about some other time, but never getting around to it.

Not sure what exactly (other than those two things) you need help with.

I'm not either, stay tuned, I'm sure something will come up  :)

Serously, thanx for stopping in and posting.  It is greatly appreciated!  :)

If you're worried about keeping settings and such that you already have as a user,

Sorta/kinda... Lots of good info here that I can use, thanx!

I'm unfamiliar with your other thread. So if there's more, feel free to elaborate.

In my other thread, I initially sought help because I could no longer login. After the screen saver kicked in, my install would no longer accept my password no matter what I tried.  Including several reboots, several shutdowns, & a password reset procedure.

So, it seemed a new install was needed(?)  I was told that last year's install was "old" and that I should install the current version, to which I agreed wholeheartedly.

Over time, I had many questions & confusions concerning the installation of Linux which led to my original plea being way off from the original topic.  The original topic was called "Can't login anymore, Why?".  It grew & grew to 4 pages!  It probably should of been closed after the first page, but I gained a lot of knowledge & undertanding that I didn't have before thanx to all those that participated.

That's why I started this topic that hopefully is more general & more accomodating to my situation.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

It's not really my place to say, but this topic is about "newbie-help-with-installing-latest-version-of-linux-mint" if you don't stay on topic it might get closed.

Where are you at now with your Install Questions?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

A Future Pilot, on 19 Jul 2016 - 4:16 PM, said:
Honestly, I think Cinnamon is better than MATE,

Based on that statement & the article described below, I went ahead and downloaded the "Cinnamon" desktop as well.  Now, I have both ISOs and both live DVDs so that I can see them both for myself.  I read an article earlier today that was comparing Ubuntu to Linux Mint.  As it turns out, the article indicated that both flavors have their pluses & minuses.  However, I was pleased to read that LM has more familiarity for long time Win users like me.

And do you need step-by-step instructions starting with downloading it?

I don't think so...  However, I do need help with how to make a separate /home dir.  I'm assuming that the /home dir contains everything pertaining to personnal settings, personnal data, like downloads, drivers, devices.  Is that correct?  If not then can you tell me, what does the /home dir contain & not contain?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users