Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spysweeper Detects Stuff As Bad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 disneycast

disneycast

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:40 AM

I run spysweeper alot and it detects Oblivion as a Trojan Horse, Backweb as adware, and ALexa Toolbar as adware. the backweb is located in my logitech g5 mouse folder. Please tell me if i should get rid of these.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 disneycast

disneycast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

Also whenever i run spybot i keep getting AvenueA. whats that? and how do i get rid of it

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

AvenueA is a tracking service that uses cookies to track certain activities by visitors to sites, and several anti-spyware applications will candidate this for removal.
Backweb is a third party service used by many companies that will detect and download available updates.
The Alexa toolbar sends information about your surfing habits which is supposedly aggregated anonymously.

I would certainly allow your anti-spyware applications to remove (quarantine) the first and third of these; the backweb application is up to you.

Remember that different companies will have a different set of criteria for what they will consider spyware, and their applications will therefore look for (and find) a slightly different set. While much will overlap, some instances will be found by one that another application ignores.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

Hey there disneycast, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

"Backweb is a generic, background downloading tool that software vendors can incorporate into their product to download data (e.g. product updates) to the user's PC. Its operation depends on the instructions given to it by the individual software vendor who bundles it. While this software has been neither exonerated nor convicted of malice, some aspects of its installation and operation appear suspect. Additionally, some users have associated it with the appearance of unwanted advertising windows." It is installed with the software for Logitech products. It automatically checks for software upgrades AND new products services and special offerings from Logitech.
You can read more about this here:
http://www.cexx.org/dlgli.htm

I personally tend to leave the backweb program alone.

Backdoor.Oblivion is a Backdoor.Trojan that can allow unauthorized access to your computer.
It should most certainly be removed.
You can read more about this here:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-102313-2131-99

Avenue A provides "...Internet planning and buying, proprietary ad delivery and management, data collection and analysis, targeted e-mail, and enhanced marketing support, such as strategic partnerships and search engine optimization." Cookies and clickstream data are used to collect information.
Again you can read more here:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pe...px?id=453060813

The way an antimalware application works is by receiving an update from the internet which contains a special fingerprint for all known bad files. When you scan your computer the files are compared to the bad files on the fingerprint - if there is a match the file can be successfully deleted. However, there is what I like to call the processing time.

From the time the malware is released onto the internet, next to the antimalware application updating their definitions, and finally to you at home updating your PC to these latest updates - That's the time in which you can get infected no matter how many antivirus applications you have running. That's the reason that by the end of the week when I scan my own computer, I will always have some new entries. Of course the other reason behind that is that some malware can escape an antimalware's active guard and will only get detected when you run a scan of your computer.

You should be able to remove these infections with both spysweeper and spybot, depending on whether you paid for the progam, or if the trial period has expired. You can read a tutorial here for using spysweeper to remove the threats it finds:
http://www.virusspy.com/spyware/spysweepertutorial.html

To fix specific entries in the list you should put a checkmark next to each item you would like to fix. Spybot - S&D will automatically put a checkbox in any malware it finds. After selecting or deselecting any of the programs you would like to remove, you should click on the button labeled Fix selected Problems,

David

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

Additionally:

Bleeping Computer's - Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware from Your Computer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-spybot-to-remove-spyware/
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users