Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Any recommendations for a gaming laptop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

Okok, I know that laptops aren't as good as desktops when it comes to gaming, and I do have a high end desktop. But, it is at my home and I am a truck driver gone for weeks at a time, so I need a laptop as only being able to game for a few days a month really sucks.

I do have a laptop already, but it is a cheap thing I got last year and it can't really handle modern games like Fallout 4, skyrim, watch dogs, etc. So I want something much better.

Has to at least have wifi and an hdmi output so I can plug it into my trucks tv for games, movies, and tv shows. I also will be using it to play music while driving so will have to be able to hold up to getting shaken around in a truck while running for 12+ hours a day.

I don't have any price limit.

I would prefer to stay under $1500 but will go above that if the hardware warrants the price.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Honestly, anymore the gap between desktops and laptops is pretty diminished. Sure the graphics power of a mobile chip compared to a desktop chip is slightly less, you still can get some powerful laptops that will play any modern game. You can get a pretty great laptop for the 1500 price range.

Here is my one suggestion about what you want to use the laptop for. I would keep the setup you already have for playing music in your tuck while driving. I wouldn't use a 1500 dollar gaming laptop for a all day every day music player. Due to gaming laptops being a whole lot more powerful and generate a lot more heat, than a normal laptop, or even a tablet, I would stick to using it just for gaming/hooking it to your truck TV when you are parked and relaxing. For all day music, use your phone or get a cheap tablet... something like that. You would put a lot of wear and tear on a gaming machine using it for music streaming all day.

So with that... check out xoticpc. I bought my last laptop there (the sager in my sig). I am also pretty pleased with my Sager purchase. I wouldn't go with Alienware... overly priced for the specs. Asus has some very good gaming machines, so does MSI. Take a look at what xoticpc offers, you can compare lots of computers from a variety of vendors.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)
Bachelor of Science in Computing Security from Drexel University
Security +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users