Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I buy new GPU to this PC?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 imrer

imrer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

Hello guys,

I haven't upgraded my pc for 5 years but I would like to ask you if there is possibility to upgrade just GPU or what else needs to be upgraded. Thinking about buying Ati 480x or nvidia 1070.

My current specs:

CPU: Intel I7-920, 2,66 Ghz

RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 1600 Mhz

Motherboard: Asus P6T SE

HDD: ADATA SX900 + 2x 1 TB HDD

GPU: ATI 5870

Thanks

Edited by imrer, 18 July 2016 - 07:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

Problem is that motherboard has no UEFI BIOS and so most new video cards won't work. If you can find new GPU with non-uefi BIOS, then yes. Otherwise probably not.

#3 imrer

imrer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

So I would have to buy new motherboard too. Then probably motherboard with socket 1366 is also rare so I would have to buy CPU too, right?

motherboard has no UEFI BIOS and so most new video cards won't work. If you can find new GPU with non-uefi BIOS, then yes. Otherwise probably not.

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Not necessarily. As your CPU is not very powerful on today's standards, you probably can find cards that are much better than what you have now. Like Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4G that has switch between legacy and UEFI mode.

This is also hard thing. Some people say new cards work even they don't have UEFI BIOS. But I have also personal experience where PCI Express 3.0 card just refuses to boot on non-UEFI motherboard.

If you can try if it works and return if not, that's good idea. GTX 1080 is overkill for your CPU, go with at most RX 480, preferably something slower.

What PSU btw?

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#5 imrer

imrer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Thanks. Would that PC handle GTX 1070?
How can I find out if CPU would slow that GPU down?

What about ram?

PSU is 600W

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

IMO GTX1070 is overkill too. RX 480 about maximum I would consider.

You really cannot find definitive answer for that, because it depends on games you play. What I said was some kind of "general recommendation".

You can easily add more RAM.

PSU manufacturer and model?

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#7 imrer

imrer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

Damn. So if I would like to buy nvidia 1070 and want to buy CPU, motherboard and ram, what would you recommend?

PSU - don't know. Can't find it anywhere.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

GTX 1070 is overpriced and bad for DX12 games, so not recommended. I suggest you wait for HBM2 video cards (6 months or so?) and AMD Zen (price drops if nothing else?) and make bigger upgrade then.

If you can open case, you can read sticker on side of PSU.

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#9 imrer

imrer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

Why do you think GTX 1070 is overpriced? and bad for DX12 games? What card is good for DX12 games?

I've tried and it's simply not there - every side of that box is empty. It's currently almost 7 years old. Is it worth buying new one? Can it help my performace somehow?

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

Mod Edit:  Please...use the REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button to post.  The Quote button was intended ONLY for situations where there is some doubt as to who is replying to what...not in situations where it is quite clear what is being communicated and in response to what.  Thanks :).  - Hamluis.

X 1070 is not good for VR and DX12. And cost is high compared to RX 480 for example. AMD cards are much better for DX12/Vulkan/Mantle.

CEv2_XIm.jpg

And that's not best case scenario as Vulkan patch became much later. Games that are build from start for Vulkan/DX12 show even more improvement.

If you are not upgrading your machine, new PSU probably doesn't help. It could have been used if you decide to upgrade but because model is unknown, better to change it too.

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

I do think the upgrade is possible, it just may be overkill unless you will upgrade the whole system. The cpu will bottleneck any new cards. Plus, what resolution do you play at?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users