Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk /r on drive with some bad sectors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BinEX

BinEX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:06 AM

T5CH7w6.png

I ran chkdsk /r on hard drive which got some bad sectors and this is screenshot for last moment before i stopped chkdsk. i canceled chkdsk after ran some minutes because i heard run chkdsk /r on hard drive with bad sectors can lose data.

So according to this chkdsk prompt window screenshot, was that possible about that data was removed/fixed or anything changed by chkdsk? i am asking about that chkdsk could do something to data even no errors are found on prompt window.

Attached Files

Edited by BinEX, 18 July 2016 - 06:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

If you stopped it at stage 4 then no bad sectors were recovered. After a chkdsk finds bad blocks you would have a folder on the root of C: called Folder.XXX where XXX is a three digit number. In the folder would be a number of .CHK files. 

Did you reboot after stopping chkdsk? Is your important data backed up on another device or DVDs? If not I would backup your important data to an external drive or DVDs before rebooting. Because you stopped it at stage 4 you should be fine but stopping chkdsk at stages 1-3 can cause the computer to no longer boot to Windows. If you have rebooted and everything is running properly I would backup your important data to a secondary source. 

Was there any reason your started the chkdsk /r command? Has chkdsk previously started automatically on boot?

#3 BinEX

BinEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

If you stopped it at stage 4 then no bad sectors were recovered. After a chkdsk finds bad blocks you would have a folder on the root of C: called Folder.XXX where XXX is a three digit number. In the folder would be a number of .CHK files. 

Did you reboot after stopping chkdsk? Is your important data backed up on another device or DVDs? If not I would backup your important data to an external drive or DVDs before rebooting. Because you stopped it at stage 4 you should be fine but stopping chkdsk at stages 1-3 can cause the computer to no longer boot to Windows. If you have rebooted and everything is running properly I would backup your important data to a secondary source. 

Was there any reason your started the chkdsk /r command? Has chkdsk previously started automatically on boot?

I found some bad sectors on drive and ran chkdsk for that. it is not auto started. only i wonder is chkdsk could do anything to data or not even no messages on prompt...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

If chkdsk found bad clusters and could not fix them Windows would recover what it could and place them in chk files. You would see a message saying how many clusters were recovered. If it found no bad clusters after step 4 and 5 Windows would notify you at the end of stage 5. 

chkdsk_bad_sectors.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

FWIW:  Chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f...is the only tool I know of which tries to recover data files from bad sectors.  If chkdsk /r is ineffective, then there can be no recovery of data files from bad sectors.

Every other tool that I'm experienced with or aware of...will merely toss the data files out with the remapping of the bad sectors.  Any number of utilities may accomplish this remapping (which addresses the bad sectors but takes no concern of the data which may be on such bad sectors).

Professional data recovery software may claim to be able to recover data from bad sectors but my experiences with data-recovery tools is that the use of such tends to adhere to the "garbage in, garbage out" maxim.  EaseUS (and, I suspect, others) claim to have a tool which may be of use:  http://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/recover-data-from-hard-drive-with-bad-sectors.html .

Louis

#6 BinEX

BinEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

If chkdsk found bad clusters and could not fix them Windows would recover what it could and place them in chk files. You would see a message saying how many clusters were recovered. If it found no bad clusters after step 4 and 5 Windows would notify you at the end of stage 5. 

chkdsk_bad_sectors.png

So... i want to know situation from my screenshot, i canceled at stage 4 running and no errors found at all, then data is not touched by chkdsk. am i understood correctly?

Also chk files or found.xxx folder are not created after cancel chkdsk.

Edited by BinEX, 18 July 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Correct, if you cancelled at stage 4 then chkdsk did not check for bad clusters or touch your data. This does not mean you have no bad clusters though. It's possible there is some data on the drive that has bad clusters but because you cancelled at stage 4 Windows did not try to correct it.

chk files are only created in Windows was able to recover parts of your files after stage 4 and 5 but you cancelled so you would not have any chk files unless from a previous chkdsk you rant to completion.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

FWIW:  Chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f...is the only tool I know of which tries to recover data files from bad sectors.  If chkdsk /r is ineffective, then there can be no recovery of data files from bad sectors.

Chkdsk /f only check for disk error, it does not check for bad sectors.

Chkdsk /r does check for bad sectors recovers any readable information, also has the functionality of chkdsk /f.  Using chkdks /r means that both /f and /r switches are used.

Edited by dc3, 18 July 2016 - 12:04 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

I was having a senior moment, thanks :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users