Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You Tube Downloaders without Malware

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JoeWatson

JoeWatson

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:13 AM

I am trying to find software to download You Tube videos. All I can seem to find is software that is stated to be clean and without any malware. After a lot of searching I eventually I find  they are all full of either malware or viruses or both together.

I am not worried if it's freeware or paid. I just want a first class downloader.

Anyone got a recommendation, preferably which they have been using for some time.

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2016 - 09:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:18 AM

I use a Firefox browser and a plug in called Video DownloadHelper

Video DownloadHelper :: Add-ons for Firefox

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:20 AM

I'm sorry. I should have mentioned that I'm having constant problems with Firefox and am trying just to use Google Chrome, where I don't have any problems whatsoever. At the moment I shut down Firefox and only open it when I need to download other videos including You Tube.

I tried Video Downloader Professional  (Recommended by Google Chrome) for You Tube Videos and some videos such as Vimeo and Wistia which are usually in the Membership site I am in. Sometimes it is OK and other times it doesn't download the complete video and I can't get a support reply from them.

Video DownloaderHelprer is definitely number one, it will download absolutely everything  Oh! If it wasn't for Firefox..................

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:10 AM

Have you seen this?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloadhelper/lmjnegcaeklhafolokijcfjliaokphfk

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:37 AM

Advisor

Couldn't believe this when I saw it. I tried it out. Installed the Download Helper on Chrome and the video is downloading in multiple segments instead of one stream. If I use the same video and Firefox and it is downloading as one stream as usual.

Any ideas please.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

I will just cut to the chase instead of trying to fix Chrome; I have recently discovered Any Video Downloader, and it has saved Youtube videos that my other utililties won't even see. It's a bit less convenient - you paste the video URL in the search box - but so far it hasn't failed me yet. Note I got this reference from someone here on BC, but I can't remember who.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

I like & have used for over one year "Freemake Video Downloader".

It seems to work well & it's reliable.

There are always some sites with video clips that cannot be downloaded with this or anything else I know of, but they are not mainstream.

Whatever you do always install free software with "Unchecky" installed, this great & simple program prevents the accidental approval by you to install pups. 

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:18 AM

I used Freemake for years also, but the last updated version required me to change my browser to Chrome and my search engine to Yahoo, both which I do not like. Interestingly, there was no way to option out; either you did that or it would not install. Just for a test, I went ahead and installed them, then after Freemake installed I deleted both of them from my computer. Freemake then would not load or run. So.....out with Freemake and in with AVD and I am just as satisfied with it anyway. In fact, AVD found and copied some protected Youtube links that Freemake would not work on.

So Freemake actually is not "free"; they sold out.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

Video Download Helper works on just about everything but I'm tired of the cat and mouse game that the developer is forced to constantly play with Youtube. It downloads videos from there but with a watermark in the top, left hand corner. I found out that Avast's Safe Zone browser downloads Youtube videos in HQ and blazingly fast with no watermarks. So far it only works on Youtube so the browser is not an ideal every day browser for me.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#10 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

I just searched for AVD & presume that is "Any Video Downloader" which I have just tried.

The first two efforts returned a fail.

I then tried with Freemake & no problem.

Eventually AVD did download some vids but when I decided to play them the audio seemed to be lost.

Also I disliked the interface, which I guess you could get used to.

That said, Ranchhands  install experience would be unacceptable to most I am sure.

Perhaps if version 3.8.0 (that's what I use) can be located it will install without the malware.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

If you like Freemake and have no problems with it, I suggest that you make an image backup of your system; in the case of a crash and you have to reinstall you can have it up and running again in a few minutes. I also suggest that you might not want to upgrade it, because I suspect that you will have the situation that I experienced if you do. I have two older versions, the oldest being 4.0.(something) but it is only the downloader, not the actual installation files. Freemake has totally committed to forcing the Chrome installation and web browser change.

#12 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

Willy22,

Many thanks for your considered reply.

Attempting to follow your instructions:

Unable to temporarily disable Perfect Disc, no such option found.

As an alternative & because I strongly suspected Perfect Disc anyway I uninstalled it.

Result was an immediate improvement in CPU & Memory.

Down initially from CPU spikes at 100% & Memory at about 1.8Gb down from about 2.8Gb.

Checked (again) Wauaserv, No evidence on any instance of Svchost.

Windows update history checked & some failures seen, but all eventually recorded as completed.

Next checked my hard drives, one is known already to be suspect, but rarely used for a year or so now except for unimportant data.

Your HD Checker downloaded & reported all HD's as "passed for overall health". some errors recorded on the suspect HD.

Then checked my SSD with the Transcent custom checked, All OK there.

I have Crystal Disc installled so checked with that also.

Again all reported as "Healthy" status & all "Stable" > 98%. The suspect HD recorded about 650 reallocated sectors while reading as Stable, I don't think this has changed on over a year.

I am about to restart & check CPU/Memory because this is when formerly I would see the masssive useage which did reduce over many hours.

Well restart failed, but after about 1/2 hour I was able to restart. SVChost is now running at about 50% of CPU (reported By Process Explorer but not seen in Task manager)). Total memory use about 3BG (Task manager).

I am baffled by all this........................

Peter O

#13 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:13 PM

Regarding "Freemake Video Downloader" & comments by ranchhand:

After a second try with an alternative program which failed miserably (All Video Downloader V5.9 ), I checked by Google for earlier/previous versions of Freemake.

Surprised to quickly find that I was able to download the full .exe file of 17,265KB.

I then installed it & sure enough it's a duplicate of what I use , IE V3.8.0.

No obvious malware although I did have to say no so some crap - luckily it was optional  "Unchecky" detected nothing.

So given that Freemake V3.8.0 is the best of the several I have tried - I'd suggest this route to anyone interested.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:12 PM

Link to where you downloaded Freemake 3.8.0? Thanks!

[EDIT]:  I just now noticed as I was making this post....post #7/PeterLonz was talking about VideoDownloader, I was using the Freemake Video Converter which has more options. I do not know the status of the Downloader version, I have never used it. However, my experience with the newer version of the converter is accurate. Sorry about that!

Edited by ranchhand_, 20 July 2016 - 10:54 PM.

#15 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

Link to Freemake Video Downloader V3.8.0 (17,265 Kb):

http://www.videohelp.com/software/Freemake-Video-Downloader/old-versions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users