Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access my old drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:07 AM

My old old drive died on me last week. I got some light clicking and a "no bootable device found" message. I've since replaced it and everything is working fine. I've tried a few times to connect the old drive to the computer via sata with various unsuccessful results.  

The first time it was clicking but after two restarts and some time to warm up, the clicking disappeared. It showed up on bios but with it connected to the computer via sata, I was not able to startup windows. I even turned off the disk and made sure the boot menu was set to boot the new drive. Still it would freeze up at the windows 7 boot menu. 

I tried again today, I was able to get windows to start up, as soon as everything started to load, the screen would freeze and become unresponsive. The second time I tried it I was able to access the recovery partition, filled with with folders I deleted some time ago, but at least it was working for a while before it froze again.  One more try after that resulted in the pc doing a checkdisk of the affected drive but it also froze at some point.

Subsequent attempts after restarting resulted in the pc freezing up again at the win7 startup page. 

I've temporarily given up because all this restarting might be doing harm to my brand new drive. I already have that startup recovery option when I try to load up. 

Edited by j1983, 18 July 2016 - 03:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:32 AM

Do you need to actually get the old drive working or just retrieve Data off it ?

If the PC works fine without the old Drive connected thats the first place to start and ensure thats running fine.

1/ Once the PC is up and running then connect the Old Drive via a Usb Powered Adapter.

2/ If it fails or stalls the PC then just disconnect the USB Cable , it should respond in time { 2-3 Min} if not reboot.

3/ You could also try a Linux Distro to boot from a CD/DVD within its own enviroment , then connect and explore the faulty drive.

If all this fails then Scrap the drive as it will be costly to get Data off / your choice , depends on the Data neccessity or worth.

#3 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

Thanks. The pc is running fine now with the new HDD.

No data of real importance but lots of movies and stuff I had not backed up in a few weeks. I'm more curious about being able to access it at this point. One time I got the pc to start up with the drive attached and it fully recognized the drive as well as the partitions. I don't know whats causing it to freeze up everytime I try to access it though. 

I have tried booting just from the old drive but I get the same " No IDE device detected"  message despite the driive showing up in bois and on windows before it freezes. 

I don't have a usb to sata, I'm to cheap to get one but I might try it after a few more attempts at this. 

I don't know what linux distro is but I'll look it up.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:54 AM

Sounds like the Drive is just ready to Quit and Die.

Adapters are fairly cheap Power Adapter and Usb to Sata Combo - 20-30 Dollars { Au }.....EG: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/351191110990?lpid=107&chn=ps

Linux Distros are Linux Versions - I use and old version called Knoppix  https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix

but you can use Puppy Linux or others  , and just burn ISO to a disc, and boot from it.

#5 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:13 AM

Thanks. It seems it may have already died.

I was able to get it to load earlier, it worked for just a few minutes at a time. I don't know if it was the 20 minutes I put it in the freezer, or when I knocked it against the table several times to knock the spindle loose but it worked for a bit. Each time I was able to get further into it but just when I reached my old username and files folder I get the "not authorized" access thing. By the time I read up on how to get access the drive had stopped cooperating once again. 

I don't want to stress my new HDD out too much with all the multiple restarts and power outs so i'll wait again tomorrow and see how I attempt to get it to work again. 

I don't have a cd drive on this pc! It broke and I used the spare port to house a fourth HDD :)  Would this work on a usb mounted disk drive? 

I realized I do have two word docs that are quite important that I need to retrieve. If a direct connection to the sata doesn't work, what are the chances of a USB connection being any better? 

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

If its connected via USB Cable,  then when it fails , unplug it and the PC should respond in time without having to reboot.

I have over the years retrieved 90 - 95 % of info on drives this way using Live Cd of linux Distro`s { Knoppix } , when the drive has disconnected through error i unplug the Usb and reconnect back again when the PC has responded normally.

Sometimes it may take 10 - 20 attempts until everything has been saved.

If the Faults or Hangs happen more often then i give up and Bin the Drive. 

#7 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

I tried a few more times yesterday direct to the pc each time getting a bit further but not making any real progress.

I was going to try the usb method over the weekend but now for some reason, my pc won't boot up at all, not with the new hard drive and not with the backup hard drive I use for situations like this. Seems like I have to put this on hold while I start a new thread...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users