Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-BSOD crash while playing any game

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StreakSharpshot

StreakSharpshot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

I've been having a bit of an issue. Every time I play a game such as GTA V, Saints Row IV, Rocket League, CS:GO, GTA IV, well, about half of my steam library, really.. I can play for a short amount of time before my screen turns black, the sound stuck at some buzzing noise, and the fans inside my PC (GPU included) speeding up to 100%.

At this state, the PC sits there and does absolutely nothing, and I have to force-shutdown by holding power. No crash dumps are ever made, (and I have them enabled, too!) and event log doesn't help. 

Event log:

last event recorded before crash (Programs running: Windows processes, Steam, Saints Row IV.) :

svchost (996) DS_Token_DB: The database engine attached a database (1, C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\DataSharing\Storage\DSTokenDB2.dat). (Time=0 seconds) 

Internal Timing Sequence: [1] 0.000, [2] 0.000, [3] 0.000, [4] 0.000, [5] 0.000, [6] 0.000, [7] 0.000, [8] 0.000, [9] 0.000, [10] 0.000, [11] 0.000, [12] 0.000. 
Saved Cache: 1 0

Recorded event after reboot: 
The previous system shutdown at 10:40:31 PM on ‎7/‎17/‎2016 was unexpected.

PC Specs: 
OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64 Bit, Clean installed on 6/2/2016, Positive there are no viruses/malware. I only play Steam games.
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 220 x64 based
RAM: 5 GB    240 pin, DDR3
Mother board: H-Alpinia-RS780L-uATX
PSU: EVGA 500W 80 plus
GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 1GB

Help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:25 AM

Sounds like overheating to me.

Check to make sure that:

- the cooler is firmly mounted to the CPU/GPU and has adequate thermal compound (without being excessive)

- that the cooler is clean and free of dirt/dust/hairballs/etc

- that the fan on the cooler is working properly (visually verify that the fan is working on both the CPU and GPU)

- ensure that the proper power connections are firmly connected (the power connections to the motherboard and the video card).

- that the system isn't pumping hot air into the CPU/GPU coolers.

You may want to open up the case and point a house fan (set on high) into the case - then see if that stops or delays the shutdowns.

If so, that's a clear indicator of overheating.

Event logs generally don't show clear signs of hardware caused shutdowns (such as overheating).
Rather, what we look for is a lack of a pattern just before the "unexpected shutdown" error.

Here's a link that describes that error in a bit more detail:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

So, in short, you'll have to troubleshoot your cooling systems for both the CPU and GPU (these aren't the only things that overheat, but they are the most common).

If nothing fixes that, then we'll look at some reports - so please post back with the results of your troubleshooting.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 StreakSharpshot

StreakSharpshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:53 AM

Alright. i'll do it in a couple days and see what happens.

#4 StreakSharpshot

StreakSharpshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

So I blew out my PC, so it's dust free, and now when i start it up, it gives me 0xc00000e9. i checked all connections, and everything seems good. What gives??

Edit: I just reinstalled windows. no problem.

Edited by StreakSharpshot, 25 July 2016 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users