Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conky configuration conundrum...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hello folks,

In the midst of playing with Mints 17.2 & 18 on this machine, I decided to give Conky a try, mainly to see the differences between the two versions.  As mentioned in the other Mint 18 thread, I was able to get Conky running thankks to Al1000's old tutorial, and I've got most of it set up to what I need.

My question relates to how to set up the cpu temp part of the script in the .conkyrc file (machine has intel i3 2100 dual core). 

Running the script as it was in the tutorial didn't show the temp, so I changed that line to read as follows:

"CPU 1 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}C CPU 2 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}C" (no quotes)

Doing that made the temperature show, but cpu 1&2 both read the same all the time (i.e. they both show changes at the same time).  I'm not familiar with keeping track of these things, but shouldn't there be some variation between the two? :scratchhead:

edit-back tomorrow

Edited by 66Batmobile, 17 July 2016 - 10:27 PM.

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

Deleted wrong topic.

Edited by NickAu, 17 July 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#3 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

They're dual cores, but they're cores internal to the same CPU.

I'm no expert, but I'd think every temperature in a CPU would be the same whether it's one core or 8 of them. So they should read the same thing all of the time I'd imagine.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

"CPU 1 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}C CPU 2 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}C" (no quotes)

Doing that made the temperature show, but cpu 1&2 both read the same all the time (i.e. they both show changes at the same time).

Your Conky is reading the same core twice, The script within the squiggly brackets is what your computer reads.

The relevant line in my .conkyrc file I'm using just now with my dual core CPU reads:
CPU 1 Temp: ${hwmon 1 temp 1}C CPU 2 Temp: ${hwmon 2 temp 1}C
You could also try:
CPU 1 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}C CPU 2 Temp: ${hwmon 1 temp 1}C
Or:
CPU 1 Temp: ${hwmon 1 temp 1}C CPU 2 Temp: ${hwmon 2 temp 2}C
Or:
CPU 1 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}C CPU 2 Temp: ${hwmon 1 temp 1}C
...and so on. It's a matter of trial and error for the most part. :)

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

They're dual cores, but they're cores internal to the same CPU.

I'm no expert, but I'd think every temperature in a CPU would be the same whether it's one core or 8 of them. So they should read the same thing all of the time I'd imagine.

I believe it all depends on the CPU, and the manufacturer.

Intel CPUs, from what I understand, actually have an individual sensor, in the hottest point, in each & every core.

AMD CPUs don't have this in quite the same place, and employ some clever algorithms to deliver an approximate average reading, often shared between a pair of cores in many of the newer models.....and a mainboard sensor in the CPU socket. According to AMD, this delivers a 'more plausible' reading.. (?!)

Older models, like my own Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, did have separate sensors in each core.

As Al states, 'trial & error'.

About Intel temp sensors:- http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-CPU-Core-Temperature-Measuring-Facts-Fictions

About AMD temp sensors:- http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376926

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 18 July 2016 - 08:34 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

...and so on. It's a matter of trial and error for the most part. :)

And so it was...after trying a bunch of combinations, it appears that this-

CPU 1 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}C CPU 2 Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 2}C

is the answer for this machine.

I don't get it, but it seems to work :huh:

Thanks everyone!

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users