Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 transfer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ron316

ron316

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

i need help i just bought a new msi gaming laptop windows 10 i need to transfer evrything including desktop icons to my ne laptop my other laptop also has windows 10 can i just clone the drive and if so whats a good program to do it thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:50 AM

I like Acronis True Image.  It's a "pay for" program, but it works well for me.
There are other, free alternatives, but I don't have any recent experience with them.  Here's a search I did for them: https://www.google.com/search?q=disk+cloning+sotware&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ron316

ron316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

thanks for the info when you clone a drive can you just clone the files and programs and not windows 10 to it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:42 AM

No, it's an all or nothing deal.  The clone will recreate the disk sector-by-sector on the destination disk

Everything is copied.  If you're having errors, then the errors are copied also.

Also, when the system boots up on different hardware, Windows is usually able to compensate for this and use the correct drivers.

But too many changes may make a repair necessary (the only way to tell this is to try and see).
But you'll have the copy of the drive to work with.

You can copy data over by copying the Users folder.

This contains the vast majority of user data.

If you use any special programs, you might want to check where they store data (for example, QuickBooks stores it's data in the Public directory rather than your profile's directory - but they are both located in the Users folder)

You cannot copy programs.  The main reason is that they scatter stuff all over the system, and the installers are customized to do different things depending on how the system is setup (so the settings might not be transferred).

There are programs that say they can do this, but I've never see one that worked reliably.

For an idea of how this works, try Install Monitor from Mirekusoft ( http://www.mirekusoft.com/ ) They have free and trial versions of the program.

Then install a program and see what Intall Monitor does when used to uninstall it - IMO it's amazing!!!

So, in summary:

- a clone copies everything

- you cannot copy programs, you have to reinstall them

- you can copy data over - and the vast majority of it is in the Users folder

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ron316

ron316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

ok thank you so much for the help

#6 gtrejo

gtrejo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

Macrium Reflect is a great program for cloning a hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users