Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage upgrade and options

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Soupynj

Soupynj

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

Hey everyone

Media server is getting low on storage, I've debated adding a pcie sata for extra ports instead if going a nas route I guess external enclosure is an options as well.

For adding Another HDD I'd like into be one volume am I able to added more drives than extended the volume into one ?

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2016 - 10:45 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:20 AM

You can use JBOD option with multiple disks but we need more accurate information about current setup.

#3 Soupynj

Soupynj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

Amd 5350, 8 gigs of ddr3, Fractal Design Core 1000 Black MATX Mini Tower doesn't have a tone of room only two slots for 3.5 inch drives which are currently used up so another enclosure or different case might be the soiltion?
GIGABYTE GA-AM1M-S2H AM1Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

Better case don't help much because motherboard has only 2 SATA ports. You can have more with PCI Express card of course. And then case with more space would also help. With some modding you can fit more drives to case also.

#5 Soupynj

Soupynj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

For jbod is that software I run I know it's kinda like raid but is for several drives?

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

For jbod is that software I run I know it's kinda like raid but is for several drives?

JBOD is some kind of RAID, basically it combines space of many disks into one and so whole array shows as single disk.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

Well...why not sijmply buy a larger storage drive...and move or clone the current data storage partition/drive contents to it?  That eliminates unnecessary smaller drives and more complicated solutions.  In today's world, that should be the first consideration where simple data storage is the objective, IMO.

Louis

#8 Soupynj

Soupynj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Well...why not sijmply buy a larger storage drive...and move or clone the current data storage partition/drive contents to it?  That eliminates unnecessary smaller drives and more complicated solutions.  In today's world, that should be the first consideration where simple data storage is the objective, IMO.

Louis

True I was thinking future proof but as drilling said I can always mod the case, for jbod is there a software toy download for that or is it just a term ?

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

Louis

True I was thinking future proof but as drilling said I can always mod the case, for jbod is there a software toy download for that or is it just a term ?

As basically any RAID, JBOD can be either software or hardware based. It depends on how you create RAID array.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users