Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

set up of company shared mailbox: best approach

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reversenotation

reversenotation

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hi

I am not very experienced with this, so apologies for any naivety.

The company where I am working using a postfix mail server to deliver mail.  Internally, a small group of staff (about 4 people) wish to use a shared mailbox focused on an area of interest.   A mail account has been set up for this purpose and on request, a simpler and more memorable name for this account has been added, as an alias for the account.

So on the mail server the alias table looks something like:

Alias       Actual mail account name

comm:  group1communications@domain.com

So I think there are 2 different approaches for this shared mailbox:

1) I could add this group1communications@domain.com account to their Outlook or apple mail client programs, or: 

2) I could change the alias table so that it points to their true email addresses e.g.

Alias       Actual mail account name

comm:  bob1@domain.com, sarah3@domain.com, mike4@domain.com

The latter approach sounds better to me, but any advice and insights would be appreciated as this is rather new.

Many thanks!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

I would ask the end users what they expect out of the shared mailbox in terms of functionality.

For example, if the mailbox is meant for outside people to contact the group, then they may want to be able to reply to messages, but have those replies be part of the shared mailbox for tracking purposes (i.e. have the replies show up as part of the original email thread that all can see). Or they may just want it as an easy way to send messages to each other in the group with out having to type in four email addresses.

If it is the former, then they may just want it as an actual separate email account/mailbox that they all have access to from their email client...this seems to be your first option. If it is the latter, then something that is just acting as forwarding alias, which sounds like your second option.

#3 reversenotation

reversenotation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for that smax013!

The purpose of this mailbox would be to do two things:

1) Allow 3 or 4 internal people to communicate and share ideas - not high volume.

2) To a lesser extent, allow other internal company staff to provide feedback.

I don't quite get the drawback with the second approach whereby the alias table contains an alias which points directly to their normal e-mail accounts.  

In light of the intended purpose as above, do you feel it would be better to have the alias pointing to their normal e-mail accounts or instead have the alias pointing to a new dedicated mailbox?

Once again, many thanks! 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for that smax013!

The purpose of this mailbox would be to do two things:

1) Allow 3 or 4 internal people to communicate and share ideas - not high volume.

2) To a lesser extent, allow other internal company staff to provide feedback.

I don't quite get the drawback with the second approach whereby the alias table contains an alias which points directly to their normal e-mail accounts. 

In light of the intended purpose as above, do you feel it would be better to have the alias pointing to their normal e-mail accounts or instead have the alias pointing to a new dedicated mailbox?

Once again, many thanks!

It would depend on if you can setup the automatic "reply to" field to use the alias rather than the person who sent the message. I would assume that they are asking because they don't want to type in 3 or so emails each time they send a message or reply to a message. So, if the "reply to" field uses just the sender's email when replying to an email send to the alias, then it might not help that much. If it can be set to use the alias/group email (like many email listservers do), then I can see it being OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users