Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't want to log in on start up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SummerRayz

SummerRayz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

WN 10 is downloaded on my pc and it has run fine, however, I set up an account at the Windows Store creating a password.  The next day when I turned on my pc, my usual desktop did not display. Instead a dark blue screen with the MS window logo and my name and email acct address came up asking for my password.  On the bottom right was text asking if I wanted to be connected to the internet.  I don't want to be nagged for my password each time I start up my pc. This is a home computer and this step isn't necessary. I also don't like the idea that the sign in process doesn't include an option to stay offline. 

After the WN10 install my desktop came up and there was no log in process.  That's what I would like to return to.  I did not have to sign in.  This all started after setting up an account at the Windows Store. 

I did try to correct the problem and went into Settings and found "Sign In Options" and set it to Never "ask for a password". I then Restarted the pc and  thought the above steps would turn off the sign in requirement, but it didn't. Can you tell me how to turn off this sign-in process? Step by step instructions sure would be welcome! Thanks much.

Edited by SummerRayz, 17 July 2016 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

Here's a link about how to ensure auto-logon:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3539-sign-user-account-automatically-windows-10-startup.html

As for the internet connection thing, I've never seen it and a search of the web doesn't show much of anything related to it.

I'm presuming that you had a local account setup, then it was converted to a Microsoft account when you created the account at the Windows Store.

Using a Microsoft account requires connection to the internet as it verifies your account online and it also does other things:  http://www.digitalcitizen.life/should-you-use-local-or-microsoft-account-windows-10

Does the intenet connection thing go away/acts normally if you switch to a local account?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SummerRayz

SummerRayz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

BSOD,

You asked:  "Does the intenet connection thing go away/acts normally if you switch to a local account?"

I have no idea.  I don't know what a "local account" is, so I don't know how to "switch" from this MS account window to a "local account".  I feel pretty stupid about this, but then I never had to deal with accounts before.  Can you clarify?   

#4 SummerRayz

SummerRayz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:52 PM

BSOD,

I did a little research using the digital citizen link you provided.  I changed my account to local, but the screen I get still requires a password.  Signing in with passwords is what I want to get away from.  It's slowed quick access to my pc activity terribly.  No MS windows, no passwords, nothing but my personal desktop is what I want to see after startup is done.  Is that possible anymore?   

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

Try here

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windows-10-login-screen/

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Nice link.  Thanks opera!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

This is exactly what you need. On older systems you run a command called control userpasswords2 for the same exact setup.

#8 SummerRayz

SummerRayz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

Thanks to all here for your info.  My problem is resolved.   Before these links were posted, I called a tech friend who gave me very similar instructions as those in your links, but for WN 10.  The screenshots found in the above links are different than your link, but the process is very close.  In the end I'm able to get my desktop and no sign-in after booting up and I'm quite happy.  I'm going to print out this link and bookmark it as well.  Thanks to all here.  Super forum!  :thumbup2:

Edited by SummerRayz, 27 July 2016 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users